What to do with the BOXES!

Hello everyone, My Lego collection will not stop growing and I have finally reached my limit of keeping the boxes. As of now I flatten them and put them in the closet. My question is....what now? Will there ever come a time when the boxes are worth anything? Do I hold on to them, sell them, burn them, or does anyone want them for some reason? I have just shy of a thousand sets so I know its hundreds of boxes. Im in Alabama if anyone thinks they would like them.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, spoonchicken said:

Hello everyone, My Lego collection will not stop growing and I have finally reached my limit of keeping the boxes. As of now I flatten them and put them in the closet. My question is....what now? Will there ever come a time when the boxes are worth anything? Do I hold on to them, sell them, burn them, or does anyone want them for some reason? I have just shy of a thousand sets so I know its hundreds of boxes. Im in Alabama if anyone thinks they would like them.

The boxes are absolutely worth something, sometimes a lot (especially the larger sets, or any older ones). If you are absolutely committed to getting rid of them - sell them as a lot through Brickpicker (pickup only). 

If you are ever planning on selling the sets, having the pristine boxes available for them will convey a sense that the sets were obviously well taken care of. They will present themselves better in listings, sell quicker, and for higher prices than your competitors.

• Like 2

If you want to sell them on ebay you could create a listing under toys --> wholesale lots.

This allows you to put multiple items under one listing. Obviously if you have that many boxes you'd want to pick your larger move valuable set boxes otherwise your listing would be more trouble than it's worth.

You can also put up an ad here: http://community.brickpicker.com/forum/61-lego-trading-forum/  or post on BC.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, spoonchicken said:

Thanks for the feedback. Thats the reason I have kept them as long as I have. Is keeping boxes a normal practice for the serious collectors?

I consider myself a serious collector. I keep every box. If it's an expensive set I picked up used or new without a box, I try to purchase a good quality box off  BL. I haven't had much luck buying boxes on eBay, but if you have exclusives, UCS, large set boxes, there absolutely is a market.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

We have a similar issue with boxes/space. I'm not even sure how we'd reasonably ship them so it's local pickup only for now. I've looked at used lot sales but I'm still not really sure what's a reasonable price for ours. I understand selling individually is the way to max value but this is one case where I'm more only interested in the max group value.

Any thoughts on the price I should be hoping to receive and/or a reasonable way to ship ~15 larger boxes and then some?

https://www.brickclassifieds.com/products/lego-lot-of-empty-boxes

• 1 month later...

I bought a MF 75105 and when it arrived today, one corner of the box was slightly dented and it had been secured in the packing box with tape which resulted in it ripping some of the box, the box itself is not damaged but it's taken a bit of the artwork off the box.

How much will this affect its value?

1 hour ago, giannini78 said:

I bought a MF 75105 and when it arrived today, one corner of the box was slightly dented and it had been secured in the packing box with tape which resulted in it ripping some of the box, the box itself is not damaged but it's taken a bit of the artwork off the box.

How much will this affect its value?

This item is easily available. If it bugs you that much, exchange it from the retailer. If you plan on building one yourself then might as well open this one.

Mint box will always be better than a damaged box but should not affect the value much if the end user just wants to build it. Of course, if it comes to same price between a mint box and a damaged box, I'd buy the mint box ;)

Edited by tacsniper