Hello from the UK, a new collector of themes

Hello, I'm Steve and I live on the south coast of the UK.

Unknowingly, I've been a Lego collector my whole life. I've always been a bit of a pedant when it comes to keeping boxes and instructions and so on, but this really did come into my favour when I sold my Technics collection.

I had about 2/3rds of the Technics collection from my childhood, from 1977-1987, all neatly stored in boxes with instructions and (most!) of the parts. When time came to think of what to do with it all to clear some space in the loft I decided that it would best be presented as a complete collection of 10 years worth of Lego Technics, and so sought all the sets that I was missing. I almost did it – some of the small parts sets were difficult to find – but I luckily found a buyer in China and made a fair amount of money from it.

I left it at that for a while, but not long ago thought it may be a great hobby/investment idea to do more. Over the last year or so I have been collecting themes. So far I have collected all of the Movie sets, all of Minecraft and recently all of Scooby Doo. These were just random picks and opportunity, more than a shrewd investment – and a little advice from my six year old son! The only regret I have is not collecting the DC Comics set while I had the chance. For example, somebody offered me the huge Tumbler set for £150 last year and I turned it down!

I actually had no idea there was a community for Lego collectors, so this site is a real find for me, and I hope to pick up some good advice and will no doubt ask many questions. To kick off those questions, what do I collect next – baring in mind I prefer themes to individual sets? I have made a tentative start into Ninjago as I heard a film was coming out soon (2018 I think), in addition to the two series on TV and DVD, which my son loves watching. I'm pretty sure a cinematic tie-in will boost values in future years.

So, is this a good idea, and if not, what are other people's ideas?

Steve

Have a look into the Architecture theme Steve, I think you may like it as many of us do. I can't say I like every set, but many of them are very nice and it would be a nice thing to have a complete collection of. I'm sure many more experienced collectors/investors will have some good and/or better ideas for you also.

Welcome, and have a great time :)

Guest brickcrazyhouse

hello Themecollector, I've had fun and made money of mixels. Money side may be drying up here on out but new series coming out look really good.  May not be what you're looking for.