New member from UK - hello and a tip

Hello everyone!

After several weeks lurking on the site, I can see what a bustling community this is and am eager to join in.

My name is Andrew, 29, and I am based in Leamington Spa, UK

A fan of Lego all my life, first set I can recall getting was 6959 - Lunar Launch Set (still have it!)

After coming into some spare cash at the start of 2016 and thinking I should be a grown up and turn this into more money, whilst simultaneously wanting a new fun hobby to kick start the year, I thought: let's combine the both! Thus, the Lego investment journey begins.

I have spent c.£300 so far this year on sets to retain, many of which on the back of experiences and hunches heard about through BrickPicker.

The level of detail on this site is fantastic, and so many tips are available that are great for a start up such as myself. So in my first post I'd like to share some knowledge I've found (forgive me if this has already been posted!) - I hope it will inform.

When I was 16, I worked at Dixons on the high street (an electronics company to those that don't know)

Part of my role was to ensure point of sale pricing was correct at the start of each day (ie updating prices sent through the system from HQ overnight)

One of the strategies Dixons employed, and other retailers do to, is to change the final decimal point of the price to indicate its stocking status. For example:

£9.99 - ending in 9 = normal price

£9.98 - ending in 8 = usually indicated it was price matched and used to undercut

£9.97 - ending in 7 = to be discontinued

When that stock had run out that ended in 7, the retailer would not order any more in. 

I've noticed some retailers still doing this with Lego (eg: Asda) and so it may serve as an indicator to future stocking policy.

No guarantees of course, but maybe something to consider when debating on whether to get that extra set...

I look forward to engaging more with you all - Thanks!

• Like 4

Welcome to the site, I've only been around for the last month or so myself. I'm based in the West Midlands myself so please don't go grabbing all of the good stuff from local stores when there is a great offer on HAHA (only joking, it's every man for their self, grab as much as you can before I get there). Look forward to seeing posts from someone else in my region. All the best!

• Like 1

Howdy Everyone!! 

I am also from the UK and I have too been researching on this site for a number of weeks now.

I buy lego purely for the building satisfaction!! but after getting a new job i am now leaning towards investing in some of the more luxury sets and keeping them for a few years (providing i can stop myself from opening them)

Nice to meet you all! I will be any sharing deals i come across in the UK/Europe!

let this be the first post of many! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BarryZola said:

Welcome to the site, I've only been around for the last month or so myself. I'm based in the West Midlands myself so please don't go grabbing all of the good stuff from local stores when there is a great offer on HAHA (only joking, it's every man for their self, grab as much as you can before I get there). Look forward to seeing posts from someone else in my region. All the best!

Where abouts chap? I have access to TRU, Smyths, Entertainer

every man for himself indeed, but if you need something from a store near me that you can't get - and I'm available I'll be happy to help out if you'd the same?

On 1/31/2016 at 10:40 AM, Drewventus said:

£9.97 - ending in 7 = to be discontinued

When that stock had run out that ended in 7, the retailer would not order any more in. 

I've noticed some retailers still doing this with Lego (eg: Asda) and so it may serve as an indicator to future stocking policy.

I don't think Asda are using this system, think it's just co-incidence. Just from a cursory glance at their website they have a lot of brand new sets priced ending in 7, so not something that is likely to be discontinued anytime soon.

17 hours ago, Drewventus said:

Where abouts chap? I have access to TRU, Smyths, Entertainer

every man for himself indeed, but if you need something from a store near me that you can't get - and I'm available I'll be happy to help out if you'd the same?

Near West Bromwich mate so got a few stores nearby too :)

Happy to help out sometime too if I can ;)

6 hours ago, Sprocket77 said:

I don't think Asda are using this system, think it's just co-incidence. Just from a cursory glance at their website they have a lot of brand new sets priced ending in 7, so not something that is likely to be discontinued anytime soon.

Not always true granted, but a retailer stopping stock of an item is different to Lego retiring it / discontinuing 

Hi guys,

Thought I would use this thread to also say hello as a new UK and West Midlands based user! I've been reading the forums on and off for a few months and starting buying sets before Christmas.

In the interests of tip sharing - one thing that I haven't read anything about here is cashback websites. Most of the websites that I buy Lego from (Lego, Tesco Direct, Smyths, Toys R Us etc) are included on ********** and you get somewhere between 1-5% cashback on all purchases. If anyone is interested let me know and I can share a referral link for a sign up bonus.

Hi Everyone,

I too am new to this and as most I have been a lego fan for about 5-6 years but I am now starting my investment collection. Any advice, tips etc would be great as not sure what sets to look for or get. I am happy to sit on sets for a while as I am not looking to flip them. 

I have some already like the Batman Tumbler, imperial star destroyer, at  at and some other smaller sets.

Look forward to any help??

Thanks