41067 - Belle's Enchanted Castle

Roy vd M.

9 minutes ago, Veegs said:

Pushes the chances of Cindy retiring this fall, I think. When I heard what was included I was hoping for something more substantial. Time to revise my opinions!

I'm still baffled as to why so many of these princess sets seem chintzy.

I had to look that up to make sure I was PC and not using derogatory slang.

I think we can all agree this set isn't builder's nirvana. But playability looks to be rather good and I think that's what TLG intends these princess sets to be.

Whereas we collectors, fans and investors immediately notice the annoying (probably one side only) stickered windows, disappointing fence and insubstantial castle structure, most kids will instantly recognize the beloved Disney characters (Belle, the Beast, Lumière, Cogsworth, Mrs Potts, the (unexpectedly talking) closet etc.) and some key objects such as the rose and the stained glass featured at the beginning of the film. 

This film has a lot of fans, even 25 years after its release, and I think this might become one of TLG's better selling princess sets. From an investor point of view... it seems like this film will never die. After the cinema came the VHS, after that the DVD, then the Blu-Ray... and many kids grow up watching the film and watching it again, just like they still watch 1942's Bambi. These films age very, very slowly. I bet that won't change too soon and kids will still watch these movies in 10 or 20 years. They grow old, become AFOL's and will want to own this. That's how I see this set. 

4 hours ago, Veegs said:

At the same time, Disney releases lots of princess limited edition dolls for high prices - why can't we get at least one set over $100 with a decent piece count? 

WERD Veegs!  I had my hopes high.  Belle is my favorite princess and this castle is brutal.  My daughter will like the panels and the pink and the UGH.  it's gross. I'm so dissappointed. this will not be an investment for me unless it's down at like half price, and even then it'll probably be bricklink fodder for the minidolls. 

• 2 months later...

I have been trying to figure out a way to turn it into a decent castle but have not come up with any. Even if I buy 2 and combine them it will still be lacking. Maybe Lego wants me to be more creative :)

i will most likely get 2 and stack them with a very large gate but that will only cover the front and raid our extra piece buckets for the rest. I may sell off set of extra figures to help cover cost.

18 hours ago, Darth_Raichu said:

I wonder if they had originally designed this to be a junior set.  How is it recommended for 6-12 year olds?  There are $30 Friends sets that use much more complex building techniques

I looked again at the box, and ... you're absolutely right. It does look like a junior set!

I'll bet there are more parts to build the little accessories than the entire castle itself.  This thing is a joke.  Definitely looks like a Juniors set that they added the characters later to add piece count. 

Edit:  And seriously, what the heck is up with the Beast?  Big head on tiny body?  He should have been a maxifig.  Now he looks like a freak with elepantitis of the head.

Edited by Huskers1236

my daughter looks at this one and says its a must have. All those panels are great for her moc . I look at it and think that just like a large number of the super hero sets out there; they put together some minifigs/dolls and then threw together a s****y building to go with them.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...