2 Questions...

SteveAlaska

Question

First question: 

Has anyone else ever discovered a great trick to keeping track of the various rod lengths/numbers with set pieces is to place them over the side of a 1x15 (or smaller) technic brick? 

For example: If the rod covers 5 holes, it's a 5. If it covers 8 holes it's an 8 and so on and so forth etc. etc. I am currently building a Ferrari 1:8 that I bought as a bunch of mixed up pieces and sets in a big tattered box. Like the Batmobile I built before it, I have been forced to use the build instructions courtesy of cache.lego. This is great until you want to figure out proper rod lengths as measuring the exact size isn't an option especially on an iPhone 4S. I have a hard time believing that I am the only one who has discovered this or this hasn't been written somewhere already. What I do know is I had no idea and wow has it been a great discovery. I hope it helps at least someone else. Ps They ARE called rods right?

Next question:

Can anyone tell me the frequency of the Double VIP points? Is there a calendar to view? Are they planning on doubling the points again soon? Is it completely random when it happens? I figured someone within this fine website forum would know better than I. I have a big cart loaded & ready, but, before I drop all the coin, I'd rather get twice the points. I did search the forum to the best of my abilities before asking this, forgive me if it's been covered already. 

Thank you for your contribution to this matter. Positive and negative ridicule welcomed.

~SteveAlaska

9 answers to this question

I thought that the length was based on how many studs. so, if you get a 16 length plate or brick to measure against, you'd have the length. I've never done it, but I've heard that before.

There's double VIP next month over President's weekend on the White House. I don't have any information about frequency of the phenomenon. I thought I had heard march and October.

• Like 1

Studs line up with the holes on technic beams, so I guess you could use that as your ruler.  Generally people just use studs as measuring units for such things.  It's probably never been written about on this site as there aren't that many builders or build discussions going on, but it is common knowledge for anyone who does any serious building.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SteveAlaska said:

Didn't try measuring using the studs. I will have to try that tomorrow. 

Oh ok, so they also offer double points on certain sets as well? I thought (perhaps hoped) that they offered double points on the entire order. 

back in October, it was double VIP for the entire order. Probably the same in march. Every once in a while, they offer it on certain sets. I remember back in May or June they had it on some Jurassic world sets.

• Like 1

I wish those things were still made. I am a little bit of a builder so I memorized the length of the rods. If you stockpile the parts you can see Lego likes to rotate the part with gray and black. I have older parts in the mix that breaks the standard. 

14 minutes ago, Armor said:

I wish those things were still made. I am a little bit of a builder so I memorized the length of the rods. If you stockpile the parts you can see Lego likes to rotate the part with gray and black. I have older parts in the mix that breaks the standard. 

I'm also a builder and indeed, experience helps you pick out the right length without having to measure. The whole LBG for odd, Black for even length axles scheme helps a lot as you say. Still, determining whether a beam is 11 or 13 or 15 studs long needs a point of reference, which is where the tool (and Tom's template) come in handy (and if you don't have one, just use any long technic beam or brick).

8 hours ago, gregpj said:

Rods? I think you mean axles don't you?

http://alpha.bricklink.com/pages/clone/searchproduct.page?q=axle#T=A

Eventually, you'll just recognize the 3 vs 5 vs 7 vs etc and won't need to line them up. :)

Yes AXELS not rods. lol GNRs not Stewarts. <--Im sure someone will decode that last sentence.

Indeed, the length of axels is easily determined by simply using a Technic brick. lol