Architecture: Whitehouse, Double Points

Deanfjr

Just curious if anyone is planning on buying the Architecture: Whitehouse from Lego on the Double Points Presidents' Day Weekend?

Bonus for what it's worth, you will be eligible for the Nexo Knights: Robin's Mini Fortrex (you would still have to buy something small to make it over 50 dollars)

Or if you are interested in it, would you rather wait until the end of the run and hope to grab one at discount before the sell out for retirement?

Honestly, architecture is one series I never buy through lego.com.  You are basically getting 5.00 off on this set.  Amazon.com will usually dip lower than that over the year, and you can also score them much cheaper at book stores, if you know how to play the right game with coupons and discounts..  Although, I do think this set is awesome, and one of the best of the architecture series.  You should definitely have at least one of these MIB in your portfolio of sets, if you dont' have one. 

Edited by fossilrock
  • Like 3

Guest brickcrazyhouse

yup gf just recently got into this theme. Bought a used lot of 6 sets. White house wasn't in that lot so I figured why not pick up a couple for the closet while getting hers.

1 hour ago, fossilrock said:

Honestly, architecture is one series I never buy through lego.com.  You are basically getting 5.00 off on this set.  Amazon.com will usually dip lower than that over the year, and you can also score them much cheaper at book stores, if you know how to play the right game with coupons and discounts..  Although, I do think this set is awesome, and one of the best of the architecture series.  You should definitely have at least one of these MIB in your portfolio of sets, if you dont' have one. 

Sadly architecture is tough for Canadians - retailer stock is pretty hit or miss, and no B&N or other chain that regularly stocks them or has sales. If I were pretty sure WHouse was going to retire this year and I had none in my portfolio, it would be a good buy for a Canuck. If you are confident it will last, I'd wager the Oct and Nov promos from S&H will be better than this deal. 

6 minutes ago, Veegs said:

Sadly architecture is tough for Canadians - retailer stock is pretty hit or miss, and no B&N or other chain that regularly stocks them or has sales. If I were pretty sure WHouse was going to retire this year and I had none in my portfolio, it would be a good buy for a Canuck. If you are confident it will last, I'd wager the Oct and Nov promos from S&H will be better than this deal. 

You never quite know.   Although, it's rare for architecture sets to retire until winter into early spring.  I doubt the white house goes until next year. If I were to guess, I think Trevi Fountain, Big Ben, and White House are next in line. 

I've noticed at my local stores Big Ben was not getting restocked through the holidays, when they boost their stock levels at these book stores ..  This happened last year with the Leaning Tower of Pisa.  With the US Capitol on the way, I suspect they won't keep 3 DC sets out..  Although, maybe one of those sets will be kept going, and they'll whack a 2015 set.  You never know.  That's happened before too..

41 minutes ago, henrysunset said:

I think retirement will come soon, with the release of the US Capitol Building set this summer.  It's a gorgeous set, which I think will appeal to a lot of builders.

I would not say the capital will replace the whitehouse.  the capitol is certainly a $100+ set, which is targeting a different market.  also its basically the DS of US architecture sets, its retirement is not really based on other set releases.  Its one of those sets that could go at any time, or it could be around another few years.  really the capital could spark more sales of the whitehouse.

as for double points, for investment I would not bite on just double vip.  Retirement is too unpredictable to hold on just an extra 5% in points.  if you really want one to build, then I would say go for it, as its hard to predict what will be available in a few months.