New to collecting Lego, BIG Star Wars fan

I swear this is like the fourth or fifth post in the last hour stating "I'm new, what set should I buy?".  This site is becoming a bit unbearable to login and start reading because of all this extreme rookie stuff going on now.  Almost 3 out of every 4 new threads are the same exact thing...

These people that want handheld through buying strategies are going to not last very long.  Just do some research...this site has something called the price guide, which is very useful.. ok?

Edited by fossilrock
  • Like 1

Welcome to the site. The best thing you can do before spending hard earned cash is to read, read and when your eyes are tired, read some more. Or have someone read to you while you rest your eyes. This site has a plethora of great advice. Read any and all Star Wars threads, for a start, as that seems to be what you are interested in to start, and read pretty much all the blogs and set reviews. Information is the real value of this site (not just the hilarious tangents in most threads ;) ) and it is all waiting for you to discover it.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

I swear this is like the fourth or fifth post in the last hour stating "I'm new, what set should I buy?".  This site is becoming a bit unbearable to login and start reading because of all this extreme rookie stuff going on now.  Almost 3 out of every 4 new threads are the same exact thing...

These people that want handheld through buying strategies are going to not last very long.  Just do some research...this site has something called the price guide, which is very useful.. ok?

I am slightly confused by some of these posts. Are they collectors wanting to know what's good, or are they get rich quick posts looking for an instant 150% return. I took this one to be collector, so I suggested the best star wars deal I could think of. If I took it as grq I would have said next knights and city.

41 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

Wow, first world problems on the internet. Just ignore the 'new member' posts if it bugs you so much.

14 minutes ago, thoroakenfelder said:

I am slightly confused by some of these posts. Are they collectors wanting to know what's good, or are they get rich quick posts looking for an instant 150% return. I took this one to be collector, so I suggested the best star wars deal I could think of. If I took it as grq I would have said next knights and city.

My gripe is that it's becoming hard to get any useful information on this site lately. When I scan through the "what did you sell page",  its' becoming hit with new people posting how they sold a set (many of which are not even retired) that they barely even held for more than a week, and when you account for fees/shipping, you realize they are either taking a loss or making pennies above retail.  They won't last long if they do this, and it's almost laughable at this point..  These people obviously misread the "lego investment's are better than gold articles" because many of those sets that are "better returns than gold" required many years to hold onto the set.  The quality of the amount information is taking a big nose dive on this site, right now.

Or you scan the recent posts, and there are a few posts just like this one.  Don't get me wrong, we all are new at one point.  I, myself am not even a seasoned vet like some of the guys here, but I just wish people would attempt to research.  If youre a collector, buy what you like.  If you're a new investor, then seriously, just scan through the price guide and read threads on various sets you might think could be interesting.

Trying to get rich quick on ANY 2015 or 2016 lego sets currently out in the market is more than likely going to bite a lot of people.

18 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

Or you scan the recent posts, and there are a few posts just like this one.  Don't get me wrong, we all are new at one point.  I, myself am not even a seasoned vet like some of the guys here, but I just wish people would attempt to research.  If youre a collector, buy what you like.  If you're a new investor, then seriously, just scan through the price guide and read threads on various sets you might think could be interesting.

OK, I am pretty new so this is a bit like the pot calling the kettle black and this is not directed solely at the OP here but I agree with fossil.  The number of new posts of hello, what should i buy are just incredible.  Surely newbies must read a bit first and see that question asked over and over again.

1 hour ago, Neilmc2001 said:

Hello,

New to Lego collecting, loved Lego as a kid.   Big Star Wars fan so going to start with those sets.   Any advice greatly appreciated.

thanks

Neil

Hey Neil.  Sorry if that seemed like I was having a go (honestly wasnt).  Welcome to the community.  There are some great topics already on here so in terms of advice... how much time do you have.  Read, read, read.  SW is a great place to start.  Are you looking at investing or just collecting and want to know which sets to get first before you can no longer afford them?
If I were you I'd think about your budget and the sets you want and then do a search on those to see what conversations are already going on.  

And any specific questions in those threads are often welcomed.
Second to that on the general advice side the "blog" section on this site is amazing.  I've been glued to it the last few nights.  Even though this was written in 2013: 

don't discount it as old news.  Quacs has written some great stuff in there for the new investor.  A lot of the posts on that part of the site are excellent - I wont start listing the ones I think are the most appropriate because we could be here all day!

I can see where Fossilrock is coming from, and I'm very new myself. As he says, all the information is there on this site if you take the time to research and look for it yourself (you know, not relying on others to spoon-feed you). I would also recommend the 'Ultimate Guide to Collectible LEGO Sets: Identification and Price Guide' book by the Maciorowski's. When I decided I was going to have a dabble (small-time) in investing in some sets I read this book for a couple of hours a night over around a week which gives you a decent 'feel' for the types of sets that become desirable after they have retired, and along with the frequent posts and old threads on this forum you can't ask for a better springboard to just use a few of your own brain-cells along with all this to just get out their and pick your own sets. I spent 3-4 weeks reading the forum and then read the book before finally buying some sets over the past week. I think it's a bit cheeky to just straight come out and ask people to tell you what sets you should buy, for the reasons I've detailed already, there's no need for it. I wouldn't blame people for hinting at certain sets as a trap and to put people off the scent of the sets that are potentially going to be good but are going under the radar at this time. Isn't half of the fun of this all using your own wits to pick a set and live and die by how it performs in the mid to long term?

Edit - This post wasn't aimed at the originator of this thread, I wish you good luck on your collecting quest. I was merely speaking generally about some of the posts from fellow new members in my short time here so far.

Edited by BarryZola
Add further information
  • Like 1

If you are looking for that "Set" that will make you money there is no guarantee. IF there was we would have no opinions, everyone would buy that set, we'd all make money etc. Having a $1,000 to spend is great but realize that many of us spend $10,000 between November and January and each of us has a strategy. Your question implies a general desire to invest in toys and that is great but you have to divest in the selling of those toys. Are you willing to lose that $1,000? How much work do you want to do when you cash out to get that $1,000 back. What is your rate of return you are looking for? How much storage space do you have? What are your avenues for procuring sets? I can go to a Meijer and keep some nice finds for $30 to $80 that I think will do well. If there is no Meijer around you and you have Kroger Marketplaces you might have a different approach. If you have a Lego store near you then there is a place to go and potentially find something overlooked (like a Lonely Mountain). When I first started to do this I bought only sets I liked. Then after a while on reading and such I learned where I could find some sets that expanded my holdings while diversifying. The one golden rule that I have for myself personally is pay off the credit cards. I use them to get points but I pay them off religiously. Don't go overboard with that $1,000. Read everything you can here. Scour your local stores and look for that Christmas return that just showed up that is ebaying for 45 and your paying 25 for it. It isn't a big set but it works (and yes it happens all the time). IF you are really interested in investing in Legos the key is patience, work, knowledge and realistic ideas of success. I have put my money on the tumbler, the At-At , the Ghost, recently but I have also put some money in discounts on City sets, creator sets, and even the Mine. But I have a strategy to divest and I have sold five sets this year already with plans to sell far more through Garage sale, ebay, Craigslist and word of mouth. You don't have to spend that $1,000 today - many of us buy throughout the year and buy what we think is good at the time. A few of us will even do a buy and hold and return if we think something is happening in the marketplace that makes sense (I am raising my hand as I did this with a Death Star Last Summer when it went sold out on SAH and then I returned it to target later). I love Lego, and I love investing in Lego, part of that is when someone says - they are looking for a particular set and I can come up with just the right item for them. that, as stupid as it sounds, makes me happy. IF you only have limited funds - I would suggest you buy sets you like. Will you make a mistake - yes, we all do. But if you read and follow you will also discover ways that you can make fewer mistakes and better decisions. IF you miss out on something, SSD :-( , well there is always something else. Before you do anything with that $1,000 take this weekend to read all over this site and you will be better prepared. If I absolutely had to invest $100 or $200 today and I had no choice I would go to my local Lego store and look for a Tumbler, an X-Wing, a Pirate Ship, an At-At, a Death Star (If you find one it is $400- buy it!!!!), an ISD, a Ghost or a Tower of Orhtanac I would get one of those and if I could not find one of those I would flip a coin over a Lonely Mountain or a Pet Shop. The other place I would go is Barnes and Nobles, that is off the beaten track for LEgo shoppers and I have heard At-Te, Jabba's Sail Barge occasional appear there and that might be worth looking into as well. Good luck, have fun, Read lots and contribute to the forums.

15 minutes ago, Lego_Yoda said:

+ especially as you're an SW fan check out the raffle (advertised in the banner at the top of the page).  Some great SW sets up for grabs on there donated by Ed, Jeff and a number of other brickpickers.

Lego_Yoda

was just looking at that! Definitely getting some tickets 

• Like 1