Brick by Brick, Breaking Down Expensive Lego Sets: 10212 UCS Imperial Shuttle

Great article and for me expertly timed.  Over the last 2 weeks I've been looking at this set even more seriously (one i dont have & near the top of my list) and the option to bricklink one.  In Europe, which can sometimes can be a different market to US; but 100% agree with your conclusions here.
Looking forward to the rest of the series.

Just on the stickers.  I've seen a number of replica ones available on eBay.  Have no idea how the quality compares but is this one avenue that you'd consider going down?  Or is the quality of these cheap just not worth it?

Great write up, thanks! I've actually been slowly trying to bricklink this set for the past few months, and I'd certainly agree with you that it's not an easy one to get all the parts for. The sheer number of some of the parts required means lots of shipping costs from multiple sellers, or paying OTT prices from some of the big BL sellers. I've just been slowly collecting parts when making other order for other things, but already I can see that buying a used one might have been a smarter option.

1 hour ago, Lego_Yoda said:

Great article and for me expertly timed.  Over the last 2 weeks I've been looking at this set even more seriously (one i dont have & near the top of my list) and the option to bricklink one.  In Europe, which can sometimes can be a different market to US; but 100% agree with your conclusions here.

Just on the stickers.  I've seen a number of replica ones available on eBay.  Have no idea how the quality compares but is this one avenue that you'd consider going down?  Or is the quality of these cheap just not worth it?

I would imagine that there's a difference in print quality. The paper may not be terribly far off, probably a little more matte. I would imagine that the major difference is the sharpness. The big problem that you run into is, if you ever sell it, using fake stickers, it's not to be considered complete. Fake stickers should be considered an alteration.

If it were just for me, never to escape from the black hole that is my personal space, sure I might consider it. Spending $10-15 on a 2x2 tile that had a sticker on it for the AT-ST that I had to finish up last year hurt me, but was necessary to make it ready to resell.

2 hours ago, Lego_Yoda said:

Print and paper quality. Please the following thread for more details using 10179's sticker sheet as an example. 

http://community.brickpicker.com/topic/11945-helping-to-identify-reproduction-stickers-and-printed-elements-no-minifig-discussions

1 hour ago, tractorboy said:

Great write up, thanks! I've actually been slowly trying to bricklink this set for the past few months, and I'd certainly agree with you that it's not an easy one to get all the parts for. The sheer number of some of the parts required means lots of shipping costs from multiple sellers, or paying OTT prices from some of the big BL sellers. I've just been slowly collecting parts when making other order for other things, but already I can see that buying a used one might have been a smarter option.

Maybe that's a different type of article, when and how it makes sense to bricklink a set from scratch. (sorry, tangent, just gave me something to think about.) I would consider the method of tacking pieces onto other purchases one of the ways that it starts to make sense. You're not directly affecting your total expenditures by absorbing the whole S&H into the cost of your set. Plus, maybe it makes more sense to your personal budget to spend 10-25 a week on the parts than $500 at a whack.

1 hour ago, Roy vd M. said:

Thanks for taking the time to write this informative and fun article.

Definitely worth more than 3 likes I'd say. Looking forward to the next.

Thank you for the kind words.

35 minutes ago, josh_676 said:

the other option of course is to tell Lego you got the set with 2500 pieces missing. 

LOL, I would love to hear that conversation.

OK, here's a clue to the next article in the series Can you tell which Iconic ship is here?

24974567101651pS.jpg

hi.  question for you all about the 10212.  did this set ever come shrink-wrapped from Lego?  i bought one a while ago ago (off eBay) and it came shrink-wrapped in a pretty professional way.  the tape seals under the shrink-wrap are still sealed and i can hear the contents inside.  can anyone confirm?  perhaps a canadian version?  i just did not know if lego ever shrink-wrapped this or any other set in the past.  thanks!