Buying sets right after Lego stops making them.

Has anyone ever tried buying up sets right after Lego has stopped making them? I think the advantages to this kind of an investment is you don't have to keep guessing when the set is going to stop being made. I know with the Emerald Night when it sold out after Black Friday you could get one for $150.

Has anyone ever tried buying up sets right after Lego has stopped making them? I think the advantages to this kind of an investment is you don't have to keep guessing when the set is going to stop being made. I know with the Emerald Night when it sold out after Black Friday you could get one for $150.

Sometimes it works out where you can find a deal after it is discontinued. Sometimes Walmarts, Marshalls, Ross and Targets have leftover stock. Even Amazon has some great deals after EOL.

Sometimes it works out where you can find a deal after it is discontinued. Sometimes Walmarts, Marshalls, Ross and Targets have leftover stock. Even Amazon has some great deals after EOL. Dangerous game. ;-)

Be careful not to wait to long or that $129.99 set turns into $199.99 on Ebay real quick. lol

the imperial flagship could be found under $200 for about 2 weeks after being retired and i think emerald night stayed under $115 for a week or two as well, if you check legos site, say once a week you should be able to get deals liek this but if you slack off you could miss a set and end up paying double for it.

the imperial flagship could be found under $200 for about 2 weeks after being retired and i think emerald night stayed under $115 for a week or two as well, if you check legos site, say once a week you should be able to get deals liek this but if you slack off you could miss a set and end up paying double for it.

I think that is the key to making money investing in Lego. You must be very diligent in your searches for a particular set to find a good or great deal. The deals are out there. You must look everyday, if not multiple times, on sites like Ebay and Amazon to find that deal.

That is also where a site like Brickpicker is important. You need to look here first to get an idea what these sets are selling for. Look at the last 30 sales on the Price Guide page. Knowledge is power and when you know what sets are selling for, you won't overspend. Also, be willing to pass on a set that is priced too high. THERE WILL ALWAYS BE ANOTHER!!!

When buying from lego.com they have a 3 month return period. So if you thought say the Fire Station was going to be discontinued soon, snap up multiples (as separate orders so they have their own boxes) then return them if an deal/offer comes up within that period. You have secured your investment with minimal losses (ie the postage) with the opportunity to buy it at a special rate if that comes up.

When buying from lego.com they have a 3 month return period. So if you thought say the Fire Station was going to be discontinued soon, snap up multiples (as separate orders so they have their own boxes) then return them if an deal/offer comes up within that period.

You have secured your investment with minimal losses (ie the postage) with the opportunity to buy it at a special rate if that comes up.

I don't think Lego is that easy to return items. I've had several issues with returning stuff. Very slow IMO and sometimes you have to pay for return postage. Not Amazon for sure.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...