Train sets for son?

trstnkn

Question

My 6-year old son would really like to start getting into the train sets.  This is a theme in Lego I do not know much about.  

What would you recommend in the $200-$300 range?  (This would be his only big Christmas gift.)

He builds at the level of a teen, so I'm not worried about complexity.  (He did tower bridge recently to give you context.)

I have access to reasonably priced 3677, but I'm not crazy about it.  Opinions?  And what add-ons would you recommend?  Eg track, station, etc...

thank you you for your help!

7 answers to this question

Well you're not going to find any train sets that are overly challenging, but the new Heavy Haul train 60098 is really nice (except for the stupid helicopter). You could easily get that train and some additional track for your budget (though I'd look to buy track from Bricklink in bulk because the expansion packs come with too much of the flex track). The only drawback from 60098 vs 60052 (also nice) is that 60052 came with 2 switching tracks. Switching tracks are a necessity if you plan on having more than 1 train running!! (they can be bought in 7895)

I wouldn't worry about stations if you go with one of the cargo trains - let him create his own! But if you go the passenger train route, the 60050 train station is a nice set that could easily be expanded.

I have the same age son as yours that is also huge into the train theme.  If it was me I would buy either the new passenger train 60051 or the cargo one 60052.  Both come with everything needed to go round and round with the remote.  You can also buy the new train station 60050.  My 6 year old builds these large track layouts from all the track we have from the sets I have purchased.  Either is honestly an awesome set.  The passenger set is going for 125 on Amazon now.  The cargo one is fun and comes with some cars that have some play value as well as a crane for more play value.   If your son is like mine he will load up the passenger car with a ton of ninjas and cruise the tracks from all the bad ninjago people.   

There is also a newer cargo train 60098 another cargo but so far this has yet to go on sale or listed for a decent price.  I had to get one for our collection and tree and bit the bullet during the 2x vip and gingerbread house to bring cost down a bit.

To answer your question for 300 you can get both sets,  for that 200 you can get the passenger set and the train station.  Anyway you go he will love it,  

Also there are lights you can add to your trains that even make it look cooler for the little guy.  

12 hours ago, Deeker said:

I have the same age son as yours that is also huge into the train theme.  If it was me I would buy either the new passenger train 60051 or the cargo one 60052.  Both come with everything needed to go round and round with the remote.  You can also buy the new train station 60050.  My 6 year old builds these large track layouts from all the track we have from the sets I have purchased.  Either is honestly an awesome set.  The passenger set is going for 125 on Amazon now.  The cargo one is fun and comes with some cars that have some play value as well as a crane for more play value.   If your son is like mine he will load up the passenger car with a ton of ninjas and cruise the tracks from all the bad ninjago people.   

There is also a newer cargo train 60098 another cargo but so far this has yet to go on sale or listed for a decent price.  I had to get one for our collection and tree and bit the bullet during the 2x vip and gingerbread house to bring cost down a bit.

To answer your question for 300 you can get both sets,  for that 200 you can get the passenger set and the train station.  Anyway you go he will love it,  

Also there are lights you can add to your trains that even make it look cooler for the little guy.  

Where could find "lights" you mentioned? Will be very appreciated if you can share.

Thank you everyone!  My reasonably priced 3677 ended up being given to me for free, so that will be the main set.  Then I bought 2 power functions light accessories.  Will purchase numerous track from brick link.

Then, because I wasn't crazy about 3677, I took the Harbor Boat 4645 crane and conveyor to give him as add-ons.  I will encourage him to build his own station.

Thanks again for the help.

Hi! You are lucky to have a bright kid. Building trains or train stations through Lego's can developed you're sons creativity. Last week I bought a Christmas present for my two nephew's, both of them love's Lego. I found this site that sell's different kinds of Lego collectibles and I bought one Star Wars Lego and a cargo Lego train. I suggest you check this link https://mums.sg/lego-du-10504-groot-circus-223473649 this may help you. I'm sure your kid will love this as a Christmas present.