80s sets

Starkthunder

Question

3 answers to this question

Are sealed basic sets from the 80s worth anything? I the one I am looking at is not listed in the guide and there are no active sellers on bricklink (new or used)

Sets like these are worth what someone is willing to pay for them. There is no secondary market price for a lot of them because they are rare, but unfortunately rare doesn't always mean valuable. It really depends on the set and whether they have desired parts, if the box condition is good or great and if you can find just the right buyer for that nostalgic factor.

I'll go out on a limb and say very few people around here buy them for investment.

2 hours ago, Starkthunder said:

Are sealed basic sets from the 80s worth anything? I the one I am looking at is not listed in the guide and there are no active sellers on bricklink (new or used)

It depends on which one it is.  If it's one of the larger ones like 735, the answer is yes...it definitely has value.  What that value is may not be clear if there haven't been a lot of sales lately, but there is someone out there who will pay a premium to buy a set like that new.  The smaller ones likely still have value, but it is not likely to vary much from the used price for the set and there likely aren't many people out there looking for a sealed copy.