Big news? Target.com ships to Canada

lobo1969

Oh Target... what a strange move. I see very little benefit to this, the shipping costs + import duties/brokerage fees would kill any possible deal. And yeah the whole exchange rate thing.

I could maybe see it being good for people who are looking for something that is only sold in the US (for example the Jurassic World Hasbro line STILL has products only found in the US), but otherwise this is an odd move.

I also thought it may be one more way for us to get a hold of retiring exclusives... but we all know that north of the border is the best place to find lingering exclusives :P Target will probably sell out within minutes of something going "Sold Out" on LEGO Shop at Home.

But you are right; it is certainly something to keep an eye on.

Edited by Sandwraithx157

Does this have something to do with TPP?

What will import duties & shipping cost be after TPP takes effects -- I believe LIB government will give green light to TPP.

Doubt TPP will have anything to do with this as the primary manufacture content are not TPP countries (save maybe Mexico)

TPP is the trans pacific trade agreement that is being worked on or is already done... not sure

as far as I know there is no DUTY on LEGO coming into Canada but there is your provincial sales tax plus a handling fee that I believe is about $10 per item that they are charging you the tax on. You will likely have to pay the tax as it will not likely be shipped by USPS. (more often that not, USPS packages to not incur the tax fees but you never know

Oh Target... what a strange move. I see very little benefit to this, the shipping costs + import duties/brokerage fees would kill any possible deal. And yeah the whole exchange rate thing.

I could maybe see it being good for people who are looking for something that is only sold in the US (for example the Jurassic World Hasbro line STILL has products only found in the US), but otherwise this is an odd move.

I also thought it may be one more way for us to get a hold of retiring exclusives... but we all know that north of the border is the best place to find lingering exclusives :P Target will probably sell out within minutes of something going "Sold Out" on LEGO Shop at Home.

But you are right; it is certainly something to keep an eye on.

Yeah, I don't see how Target is going to fool Canadians in buying retail items without big time discounting to make it economically worth it. So if they really want to make a go of this 'Canadian portal' to their main site then maybe they still have changes in mind. Otherwise this will be another Target flub!