Deciding when to sell minifigures/vehicles vs. NIB sets

We all have a strategy when it comes it selling NIB sets vs. selling the minifigs and "vehicles" separately.  We probably do a mix of both.  

-  When do you feel it is a good time to move a slow selling NIB set and start selling the minifigs and other items within that set separately?  

-  Does your strategy incorporate minimum starting retail price points on sets you decide to 'part out'?

-  Do you only do this on high priced sets (and do you even mess with lower priced sets)?  

-  Does your strategy take into account maintaining your TRS status regarding # of sales in a 12-month period?

-  What about parting out sets early in their life and stocking up on NIB sets 'before retirement'?

This falls into my "winging" portion of strategy.

I've parted out sets to move slower selling sets, and some just to maximize profit.

2 examples. The small spiderman set with venom, I picked a ton up for $5 each but couldn't move them at $12.99 retail. So...sell venom for $8 and spiderman + bike for $7 (shipping extra).

Also hulk buster was nice money maker, lots of us picked them up for $22 ish range, could sell hulk buster for $20+ shipping, and $5-$10 for each of 3 more minifigures. Prices have bottomed out, but was good money and fairly easy.

This thread I think falls into the "people are quietly making good money $5-$10 at a time" realm while most discussion is on exclusive retirement

• Like 1

I think that just after release is the best time to part stuff. During the life of the set, there will always be a little more to be made that way, but you have the danger of being stuck with part of a set and losing money on it. After the set retires, I would guess it has more to do with how popular the set was. You might make more just selling certain minifigures like Doc Ock Ambush 6873 where Iron FIst is half the price of the set.

• Like 1

90% of the time I'm selling figs and vehicles separately.

Addressing your questions in order:

1. Right when the set comes out is a great time to part it out. I've also been surprised to find after retirement, some figs I've had trouble moving to do better. A recent example is the non major character Lego Movie figs (plumbers, Gorgonzola.)

2. No. I check out every set at every price point.

3. I love lover priced sets. Any set can make you money. When I look at a set I start by breaking it down in what pieces I might want to group together. I've parted out very small sets. I picked up a ton of City Surfer Rescue for $2 each at Target, selling the individual elements in a number of different configurations.

4. I don't think much about TRS. It's nice to have, but I don't strategize about keeping it, other than offering returns and 1 day handling.

5. I don't stock up, just buy more when I sell out.

• Like 1