New Member from Scotland

Hi Folks

I actually stumbled across this site having seen an article in Blocks magazine.  To cut a long story short I have only recently started looking at Lego from an investment perspective.  My son has always been an avid builder of Lego and has numerous sets which he used to build, then sell in order to get some new ones.

However he is now at university, Lego has always interested me so here I am.  I think I am a collector at heart :)

Here is where I need some help as I do not really have any direction as I just tend to buy what appeals to me.....I.e. What I would buy on the secondary market if that makes sense?  Therefore the current themes that I like are Star Wars, LoTR, Hobbit and the architecture stuff.....previously it would have been things like Harry Potter and Pirates of Carribean etc

i don't have a huge disposable income to throw at this so if anyone can give me some general ideas that would be helpful.  Thus far I on,y picked up Ghostbusters as I like that set and picked up a couple of Star Wars sets....B wing and the phantom if I remember correctly although they were both discounted.

I look forward to getting involved.

Welcome!

There is nothing wrong with buying only what appeals to you. A lot of members on here take that approach.

Determine what your end goal is. Buy/Build/Display? Or perhaps the investor approach: Buy/Store/Sell later?

There is a great deal of information on this site and quite a few members from the UK!

So happy reading.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies and welcomes so far!  I think my main intention is to buy/store and sell at some undefined point in the future - I have read a lot so far on the forums and just get myself easily confused :)

I will get a grasp of the abbreviations eventually in regard to the various sets.  I should have jumped on the band wagon with LOTR and Hobbit before now as I think that ship has sailed and I have missed the boat.

Thanks for the replies and welcomes so far!  I think my main intention is to buy/store and sell at some undefined point in the future - I have read a lot so far on the forums and just get myself easily confused :)

I will get a grasp of the abbreviations eventually in regard to the various sets.  I should have jumped on the band wagon with LOTR and Hobbit before now as I think that ship has sailed and I have missed the boat.

Don’t worry too much about lotr and hobbit, both were heavily discount and are stockpiled. It’ll be a while before they appreciate substantially.  Although if you want them, buy now as they can still (mostly) be had at below RRP.  GB is a nice set and will likely do well, eventually.  On the SW, B-Wing and Phantom from an investment perspective are likely poor choices.  Both having heavy discounts and nothing particularly compelling for the secondary market.  

Buy/store and sell at some undefined point in the future, is a poor plan.  Decide how long you want to store and when you need to see a return, this will likely affect the sets you buy.  Decide which sets you like and the price you’re happy to pay, don’t let the discount be the deciding factor.  SW is generally a good theme to invest in and there is an expectation that it will do well with the new movies. But there will be winners and losers in the theme. Many SW sets have done poorly in the past, even with heavy discounts.  Take it slowly and decide what approach is going to work for you.  Choosing what not to invest in is just as (possibly more) important as choosing what you will.  

• Like 1

Hi i have also just joined and am from just outside London. I have been collecting minifigures (still need loads)and then started on the bigger sets. Me and my brother have since become obsessed! I want to collect and invest. 

Some questions i have -

Where do you get poly bags from? Does no one ever open them?

How much percentage wise do people tend to make on investing in lego a year? 

Can you still buy LOTR sets? for the normal price?

Do people tend to just sell on ebay?

I want to start investing should i just start small for now?

Thanks. Loving the forum. 

I'm worrying that I don't really have any direction - by nature I'm a completist which I'm guessing is not very compatible with investing :)  other sets I have been considering so far....as I can still find them are Pet Shop and Ewok Village....any opinion on these?

also I see that Ultra Agents seems to be retiring but there doesn't seem to be very good views on these sets - again any opinion on whether trying to pick them up at discount is worth it?

really appreciate the reply above!