Buying sets in the secondary market for investments

Cant seem to find much on people buying sets in the secondary market for investing (if anyone knows of a forum then please can you point me in its direction).

Anyway, what sets are people looking at in the secondary market after they've been retired.  I'm still a newbie AFOL on the collecting/investing scene. Looking at what sets I could buy ofr investment purposes but having a hard time considering anything that has already gone up by 50% over the MRSP that's been retired since 2014.  That said there are so many I like! LOTR theme and a number of star wars & superheros ones.

Anyone got any tips/strategies for investing in the after retirement market.  Once a product gets retired whats the usual period for the mass initial hysteria or price increases?  Do prices usually spike then come down initially after retirement or is it more of a case of spiking then flat lining until its natural return takes place?

I know a key strategy is buy as close to EOL as possible but when you've missed out on EOL then the hoarders are your new best friends.

Cheers.

Groundhog day...?

Ha ha.  Yeah sorry.  

This was more a general topic thread to get a discussion going as opposed to one relating just to specific sets.  Anyway, lesson learned.  One thread per topic unless new info comes to light.

Fastest appreciation is in the first year. After that it's a slow steady growth. There are a few exceptions of course. 

I don't mess with investing in retired sets unless it's a steal. Plenty of good investments on the market. 

Sound strategy.  I saw an of x-wing (4502) that's well before my time and triple the MRSP - to be fair though anything with Yodas hut has to be money spinner :)  

I assume by steal you mean that even though its above (maybe double/triple MRSP) if the usual selling price for that item is 20% more then at worst your going to come out flat (thinking quick flip, but then you factor in fees and postage).

Cant seem to find much on people buying sets in the secondary market for investing (if anyone knows of a forum then please can you point me in its direction).

Anyway, what sets are people looking at in the secondary market after they've been retired.  I'm still a newbie AFOL on the collecting/investing scene. Looking at what sets I could buy ofr investment purposes but having a hard time considering anything that has already gone up by 50% over the MRSP that's been retired since 2014.  That said there are so many I like! LOTR theme and a number of star wars & superheros ones.

Anyone got any tips/strategies for investing in the after retirement market.  Once a product gets retired whats the usual period for the mass initial hysteria or price increases?  Do prices usually spike then come down initially after retirement or is it more of a case of spiking then flat lining until its natural return takes place?

I know a key strategy is buy as close to EOL as possible but when you've missed out on EOL then the hoarders are your new best friends.

Cheers.

A lot of investors are buying 10221, 10179, 10212. 10188 has also been bought massively this last year and will continue to be after retirement i think.

Buying retired sets can still be a great investment.  It takes a bit more research than just buying off a retail shelf, but the potential rewards and the added benefit of diversification in your portfolio can be well worth it.

Here's a blog article I did that touches on it:

http://community.brickpicker.com/blog/brickvesting/second-wind-retired-lego-sets-experiencing-a-growth-comeback/

• Like 1

Buying some set (especially used) in the secondary market is a great way to buy wonderful / special sets that you might missed out on. Not only will you get a chance to build and display for a time, you'll also make some cash to rollover into the nest set.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Buying retired sets can still be a great investment.  It takes a bit more research than just buying off a retail shelf, but the potential rewards and the added benefit of diversification in your portfolio can be well worth it.

Here's a blog article I did that touches on it:

http://community.brickpicker.com/blog/brickvesting/second-wind-retired-lego-sets-experiencing-a-growth-comeback/

Thanks for this Grolim!  That is a great article and opened up a new dimension for me.  As you explain - if you can find the gems where they are still experiencing growth then investing in those could well worth it.

And also a lot more fun to turn over a profit from some actual research/"hard work" vs simply just buying at a discount close to EOL.  Well that's how i see it anyway.  

Will still only get the sets that I'd actually enjoy personally though just in case the analysis doesn't pan out :) 

Buying some set (especially used) in the secondary market is a great way to buy wonderful / special sets that you might missed out on. Not only will you get a chance to build and display for a time, you'll also make some cash to rollover into the nest set.

Thanks for this - sounds comment here.  Gutted I came just a little too late to the game to get my hands on some recently retired sets  - unexpected gathering to name but one (guess I'll have to pony up for those ones).

But indeed if I can get a used (complete) set for my own pleasure and if i can get one at ~ 20% below MSRP then its almost as if i did get one in the sale and opened it. Then should still be able make a good proportion of my money back in the secondary market some time down the line to role over into the next set.

I buy from the LEGO secondary market all the time. There are many great deals out there and sometimes I miss a set before it retires. I buy all of my used display sets from resellers. I rarely build a brand new set. I try to buy damaged boxes or new sets that have been partially built. Many sets on the secondary markets have plenty of room to grow.