10173 - Holiday Train

Galarnix

I just found someone ready to part with this set for 600$, sealed. Mostly for long term investing, is this a good pick?

​Not really. I doubt that the set would go up anymore in value in the next few years and you would not get much profit if you bought it at $600.

I just found someone ready to part with this set for 600$, sealed. Mostly for long term investing, is this a good pick?

It's a great set, but honestly spending those $600 on current exclusives about to retire would give you a better return in a shorter period of time. There are occasions where investing in a retired set makes sense, but this one is just too old to be one of those. 

It's a very nice set to own. $600 sealed is a nice price but personally, I rather have a Hogwarts Express or Emerald Night especially for the holidays.  10173 is just too kiddie (which might be good if you have kids) and long for my liking,  I'm still never giving up my 10173 because I wanted a long time to finally find one for a decent deal.  You will need two motors to power it on track due to the length.

For or investing purposes, this set will prob grow 10% -20% per year until a refresh surfaces.  It's pretty hard to find MISB. 

I was lucky and found a used / no box for about $275 (including  paying extra for that darn white rabbit, manual 2 & a couple of other pieces)  

i built a couple of trains.  These threads might interest you.

It's a very nice set to own. $600 sealed is a nice price but personally, I rather have a Hogwarts Express or Emerald Night especially for the holidays.  10173 is just too kiddie (which might be good if you have kids) and long for my liking,  I'm still never giving up my 10173 because I wanted a long time to finally find one for a decent deal.  You will need two motors to power it on track due to the length.

For or investing purposes, this set will prob grow 10% -20% per year until a refresh surfaces.  It's pretty hard to find MISB. 

I was lucky and found a used / no box for about $275 (including  paying extra for that darn white rabbit, manual 2 & a couple of other pieces)  

i built a couple of trains.  These threads might interest you.

Why do you need two motors? The one I picked up was a Holiday collection (the one with the blue-gray track additions) but I rigged mine up to be a RC train instead and one motor works fine.

"Why do you need two motors? The one I picked up was a Holiday collection (the one with the blue-gray track additions) but I rigged mine up to be a RC train instead and one motor works fine."

I also use 9v with my trains.  due to 10173's total weight (many bricks & elements), i needed two 9v motors to move it smoothly.  using 1 motor w/ 10173 will also prob cause it to wear prematurely (working too hard).  since 9v lego motors are no produced, i do take caution with mine despite buying them new.

"Why do you need two motors? The one I picked up was a Holiday collection (the one with the blue-gray track additions) but I rigged mine up to be a RC train instead and one motor works fine."

I also use 9v with my trains.  due to 10173's total weight (many bricks & elements), i needed two 9v motors to move it smoothly.  using 1 motor w/ 10173 will also prob cause it to wear prematurely (working too hard).  since 9v lego motors are no produced, i do take caution with mine despite buying them new.

​Ok that makes sense, I never actually ran it with my other 9v trains so I didn't know.  Good to know for the future when I convert it back.

• 5 years later...
13 minutes ago, KShine said:

Never had this set to build - just got it, built it - wanted to be excited, but ehh (maybe I just don't get it).

That's because you built this "holiday" train in March. Should of waited until December..haha

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MotorCityMuscle said:

would love to see a nice train for under the tree. i voted for the polar express but not sure if it's something that would ever come to fruition. 

Polar Express has been on top of my wish list for years. Glad to hear I'm not alone! Wish they didn't try to re-enter the adult train market with Crocodile. I feel like that's a poor seller and will make them shy away from trains in the future. On the plus side, I Polar Express could appeal to both adults and children, depending on the build difficultly.

• Like 1

At one time I was going to BL this set. And just got bored trying to get everything together, and deal with a couple substitutions. I have about 1/3d of it sitting there in a box.

Once the newer holiday train came out I was willing to give up on this one. It was really the only holiday set I never picked up.

22 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

At one time I was going to BL this set. And just got bored trying to get everything together, and deal with a couple substitutions. I have about 1/3d of it sitting there in a box.

Once the newer holiday train came out I was willing to give up on this one. It was really the only holiday set I never picked up.

I do have one of the metal wheeled motors for the old electric track - maybe I will set that up (which should be pretty cool). How much does it cost to bricklink the set?

I do have one of the metal wheeled motors for the old electric track - maybe I will set that up (which should be pretty cool). How much does it cost to bricklink the set?

Just a quick back of the napkin inquiry on BL of only US stores, no instructions, no minifigs, shows $949!

1dd697a97fbf55fa0766154385557162.jpg
  • Thanks 1

When I BL’ed mine 5 years ago, I think I spent $300 (without 9V parts as they are not part of the 10173 set, but with minifigs and instructions). At that time getting a complete one on EBay (Used) was $500-$600.

I think there is one book I couldn’t get, and I spent the most money on the white cat, as that mold was only used in very few sets IIRC.

9V parts are not cheap.  Also several very rare parts in the set.  
Just got done revamping a 10173 and put it on BL.  Sold pretty quick.  

Exactly. The train base is expensive. Other expensive parts the magnetic clips, I think a window, and some common parts in discontinued colors as well.