E-Bay Completed Sold Listings

Hey all, this may seem like a dumb question but I can't seem to verify the answer myself. I've got some old 1990s sets from childhood aim looking to flip to make some capital for new stuff. Some are old poly bags and small sets showing very low resale values ($10-12 usd). What I can't see on the Completed Listings link (through BPs price guide) is shipping costs. I'm unclear on whether the sold prices are including what the buyer paid in shipping, or if that's always extra and not reported? If a set goes for $10 total and shipping costs $7, it's hardly worth the time to even list em. If shipping is always extra however, that's $10 profit (seeing as a kid my buy in was $0). Any clarification would be much appreciated, will help me pick which sets to prep first (or not at all)!

Shipping costs are not included in the data calculations because it is highly variable and differs with each buyer.  It might cost $10 to ship an item for one buyer and $50 for another.  Some sellers will include shipping in the cost of items, while others do not.  The lower the cost of the item, the more effect shipping fees have on the overall returns.  You might have to go set to set and really breakdown the current sales trends and whether or not people were including shipping costs in prices.  There is no easy answer.

Sarcasm not necessary or helpful Jackson. Yes there are fees. Trying to get to the point of my question without too many random made up numbers. You missed it entirely and make a useless quip at me. Ed, thanks for actually answering. Makes sense. Regarding your response, if I used Price Guide's Bricklink Average, those prices are the sold items pre-shipping invoice, always, correct? Is shipping ever added pre-sale on Bricklink? Hasn't been with parts orders I've made. Maybe that's a better benchmark to list by, then add shipping? Still have to hit it case by case scenario I guess.

Bricklink does not include shipping fees, but their prices are usually lower than eBays...which many sellers incorporate shipping fees into the price of the item.  Each marketplace is slightly different.  Don't forget about Amazon.  It all depends upon where you sell.  If you are selling on eBay, use the eBay data as the basis of your prices.  Like I said earlier, each set and situation is different, so you should really just go set to set and look at the three major marketplaces and compare to come up with a price that will sell.

Roger that Ed, cheers for feedback. Not that I can find Jackson, all those sorting options usually presented when viewing live listings do not appear when I link through completed listings on price guide... I'm super new to eBay though, maybe I'm just overlooking it someplace?

Roger that Ed, cheers for feedback. Not that I can find Jackson, all those sorting options usually presented when viewing live listings do not appear when I link through completed listings on price guide... I'm super new to eBay though, maybe I'm just overlooking it someplace?

​Assuming eBay Canada and eBay US have a similar layout...Next to the the blue search button, at the top of each page, is the word advanced, click on that to bring up the advanced search.  There you should be able to input your search terms, check the "sold listings" box, and then at the bottom you should find the different sort options.  These different search options should be available once you run the search too.

Ok cool, I'll have to check these options out when I'm home. I'm using .ca as well, so I should find it if I look where I'm supposed to. I'm looking into selling on eBay, yes, but the point of this thread/question was to find out whether it's even worth trying to sell the little stuff on there, or more work than outcome value is worth. Sussing whether they're going for $10-12 with or without shipping is key info to that decision making.

Non-sequitur Edit: why does mobile app fail to include my line breaks? I see html when I edit here, but never need it when posting from the website.

Ok cool, I'll have to check these options out when I'm home. I'm using .ca as well, so I should find it if I look where I'm supposed to. I'm looking into selling on eBay, yes, but the point of this thread/question was to find out whether it's even worth trying to sell the little stuff on there, or more work than outcome value is worth. Sussing whether they're going for $10-12 with or without shipping is key info to that decision making.

Non-sequitur Edit: why does mobile app fail to include my line breaks? I see html when I edit here, but never need it when posting from the website.

​You can also group items to save on shipping...

The mobile app is a work in progress and was just made active to work with our new forum engine. It has some things that have to be tweaked, like the spacing issue.

Since you're using eBay.ca, it will be hard to figure out whether the sold listings had free shipping, since most U.S. Sellers have free domestic shipping, but charge for international shipping. If you are planning to target the U.S. Market, you might want to visit eBay.com and make sure you aren't logged in. That way you can see which U.S. Sellers are offering free shipping. That's what I do, anyway - perhaps there's a easier way I haven't figured out.