Star Wars battle packs inflation.

dunkers97

Battle packs... Hmmm? Sounds like a good idea right? Four minifigs and a cool vehicle for 10 bucks! But is lego rolling the dough a little thin, for us that is? It started out with the first two battle pack sets 7654 (droids battle pack) and 7655 (clone troopers battle pack) at a price of $9.99 a piece. Good price. But that's then, lets look at when the inflation started to happen. Four more battle packs came out and then in 2010 with sets 8083 (rebel trooper battle pack) and 8084 (snow trooper battle pack) they go up two bucks... No big deal. And when I say "No big deal" I mean you're not getting a big deal anymore. Well, then it got worse with sets 9488 (elite clone trooper & commando droid battle pack) and 9489 (endor rebel trooper & empirial trooper battle pack) not only do they go up another buck they put two mini's from each side (Separatist and Republic) in. Some people might like this idea but I don't. I think Lego would've sold a lot more if they stuck to Republic battle pack and Separatist battle pack, like you have to buy both to get the actual battle! I still like the battle packs but i think they would've been better off if they stuck to $10 and kept the Separatist and Republic separate! I was saprised when i saw that the battle packs that just came out didn't go up another dollar or two! Anybody have an opinion on what I'm what I'm saying?

Battle packs... Hmmm? Sounds like a good idea right? Four minifigs and a cool vehicle for 10 bucks! But is lego rolling the dough a little thin, for us that is? It started out with the first two battle pack sets 7654 (droids battle pack) and 7655 (clone troopers battle pack) at a price of $9.99 a piece. Good price. But that's then, lets look at when the inflation started to happen. Four more battle packs came out and then in 2010 with sets 8083 (rebel trooper battle pack) and 8084 (snow trooper battle pack) they go up two bucks... No big deal. And when I say "No big deal" I mean you're not getting a big deal anymore. Well, then it got worse with sets 9488 (elite clone trooper & commando droid battle pack) and 9489 (endor rebel trooper & empirial trooper battle pack) not only do they go up another buck they put two mini's from each side (Separatist and Republic) in. Some people might like this idea but I don't. I think Lego would've sold a lot more if they stuck to Republic battle pack and Separatist battle pack, like you have to buy both to get the actual battle! I still like the battle packs but i think they would've been better off if they stuck to $10 and kept the Separatist and Republic separate! I was saprised when i saw that the battle packs that just came out didn't go up another dollar or two! Anybody have an opinion on what I'm what I'm saying?

LEGO is realizing that people part these sets out. They are extremely popular. LEGO ran a discount with the last two Battle Packs...Two sets for $19.99 and I expect to see another similar special in the future.

dunkers97, everything you just said is exactly what I have been thinking for the last couple of years. I remember the very first two battle packs that came out in 2008 and you got quite a bit for your money. Four minifigs and a decent sized vehicle of some kind for $10. Plus, the characters were varied in some way. (Different printing, heads, gear, etc.)

But like you mentioned, now you get less but pay more! Now you buy one set, get two characters from both sides (which means less variety), and only one side actually gets a vehicle and it's a poor one. Even if you buy two to get the original four, now you have a bunch of guys that are exactly the same! (I know they are soldiers but a little variety would be nice to have again.)

Between the current battle packs, "Clone Troopers vs Droidekas" offers a nice piece count. But that is only because the Droidekas are brick built. The other one, "Republic Troopers vs Sith Troopers", has an awful count. It needs atleast something for the Republic Troopers! Even a bit of scenery would help. Just something to help justify the cost. Anything!

I do agree with Ed that LEGO is charging the price they are for them, as well as the merging of the two larger battle packs into one smaller one, because people part them out. Which seems wierd for me considering they are a minifigure pack, so why not just buy the whole thing? I mean, why pay $10 for one minifig on eBay if you can buy the whole set for $20 and get four? I don't get it, but that is just me. (And my blasted reasoning....)