What recent UCS should I get for a first time set?

Valenthyne

Question

24 answers to this question

Just built 3 of the 4 on your list.  All are very good.  Honestly, I think the TIE fighter is the sleeper, here.  Really fun build, and looks fantastic in person.

IMG_1629_zpslyraj8w2.jpg

Thanks! I thought so too (partially because of the new TIE pilot), but the Boba Fett looked SOO good. I don't want to get one and regret not getting the other. 

I am looking to get either the Red Leader X-Wing, the Sandcrawler, the Slave I, or the TIE fighter UCS. Which one is the best in build and appearance?

​I have only built the Red 5 X-Wing, but I would definitely build the TIE Fighter. I saw it displayed in the Lego store this past weekend and it looks very impressive.

X-Wing first, gets my vote.  Everyone knows an X-Wing when they see one.  Most of my friends and family wouldn't have a clue what the Slave I was.  TIE comes a close second, but it's newer so should be around for a while longer, so plenty of time to buy that in a year or 2.

I am looking to get either the Red Leader X-Wing, the Sandcrawler, the Slave I, or the TIE fighter UCS. Which one is the best in build and appearance?

​For build, the Slave I.  For appearance, either the TIE fighter or Slave I.  I was surprised about the quality of the TIE fighter appearance after I built it.  Lego has definitely upped its game regarded Star Wars UCS sets this year.

I cannot comment yet about the Sandcrawler as I haven't built it yet.

Sandcrawler is the most deceiving if you just look at pictures.  But the build is by far the best of the 4 UCS versions (although I haven't built tie-fighter yet, but that looks weak in comparison to all the features the sandcrawler has).

Edited by fossilrock
  • Like 1

Posts on this thread have convinced me to crack the seals on one of my Sandcrawlers, and make it the last of the 4 current UCS I have to build.  Thanks guys, you cost me a bit of $$$.   :)

All kidding aside, these Star Wars UCS sets are just so good, I'm jonesing for a 10179 MF.   It is wrong to think about one of the $1200 variants that folks drop on eBay from bricklinked parts?  I figure at worst, you'd lose no more than a $100-$200 if you went to resell such a kit...

Posts on this thread have convinced me to crack the seals on one of my Sandcrawlers, and make it the last of the 4 current UCS I have to build.  Thanks guys, you cost me a bit of $$$.   :)

All kidding aside, these Star Wars UCS sets are just so good, I'm jonesing for a 10179 MF.   It is wrong to think about one of the $1200 variants that folks drop on eBay from bricklinked parts?  I figure at worst, you'd lose no more than a $100-$200 if you went to resell such a kit...

I agree on the 10179. I have been thinking for some time about bricklinking this set. 

​I'd go with the one that is most likely to retire first and make your choice for the 2nd thing to build moot.

X-wing.