Lego Dusting

Zelgazra

As the title suggests....When and where possible, once built, I display my sets in a glass cabinet so the dust is never a problem. For shelved displays, what do you guys do to keep your sets looking fresh and like new?

A co2 keyboard duster seems like an obvious choice, but I'm still curious if there are simpler, better ideas?

I have a lot on display, not in closed cabinets.  Dust is becoming a real problem.  I have tried the canned air stuff but found it doesn't really shift the dust off completely if I've left it for ages.  I've resorted to using a damp cloth and going over every piece stud by stud, but it really takes ages and I hate doing it.  Might give the make-up brush idea a go!

Guest brickcrazyhouse

we keep the larger sets in rotation.  washing the set after they are taken down. luckily gf loves building, I couldn't do it

I have a lot on display, not in closed cabinets.  Dust is becoming a real problem.  I have tried the canned air stuff but found it doesn't really shift the dust off completely if I've left it for ages.  I've resorted to using a damp cloth and going over every piece stud by stud, but it really takes ages and I hate doing it.  Might give the make-up brush idea a go!

​My brother introduced me to this method as he collects Anime figurines, and i guess this is the recommended method to clean dust in that community. Not only is it super easy and quick; it's sort of fun! It's like painting your LEGO with invisible paint :D

You can get varying sizes too, and depending on the type of brush they can fit right in between studs easily. I've got a long-narrow one i use for tight areas, and then a wide fat one to cover bigger areas.

Soft "natural hair" makeup brush is definitely the way to go for your most common dust (wide span for large areas & chisel/pencil tip for more detailed parts) However if your dust is more greasy/oily from being closer to the kitchen areas of the house (or where hairspray is being used, dog hair is airborne or, gasp!, smokers are in the house) you'll need to use a synthetic brush as that type of dust won't be picked up by natural hair as efficiently.   Natural animal hair bristles can also be statically charged & make dust collection very easy. (you used to be able to do this just keeping them on top of the TV, not so much any more since the FPs arrived)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So I got a set of make up brushes to try out.  Mixed results really.  The soft brushes really didn't shift the "baked on" dust I have built up on sets displayed for a year or three.  But there was a stiffer brush included in the set that had softer plastic or synthetic type bristle that worked pretty well though it is a bit thin so takes to long to go up and down rows of studs multiple times.  The other softer make up brushes I can see being useful if done regularly so the dust is just surface stuff.

I was thinking of getting a super soft toothbrush to try.  Just have to remember to not put it in the bathroom :)

What is the best way to remove dust from sets you have on display?  What do you do before taking apart a larger set for storage?

Thanks!

​There's a few good ideas in the posts above.  Brushes, mitts, etc.  Plus washing and drying sets that are pulled apart.

If you run lots of HEPA air filters in your house/apartment, it will cut down on dust deposition on everything, including displayed Lego, by taking it out of the air before it can land.  Higher shelves also gather less dust than lower ones.  In general, keeping the dust from landing is much easier than trying to get rid of it afterwards.  The other option is to regularly play with your Lego displays!  Take that SSD out for a spin around the block in the rain and nature will dust it for you...

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions! I saw the suggestions higher up when my post was (appropriately) moved. My (limited) technique so far has been to take it apart and run it through water (or through the washing machine with non sensitive pieces). It seemed that there must have been a more efficient way. I've read elsewhere (for a different purpose) that people have used dryer sheets to clean their house because it apparently repels dust. Has anyone tried this on Lego?

I've read elsewhere (for a different purpose) that people have used dryer sheets to clean their house because it apparently repels dust. Has anyone tried this on Lego?

​I haven't tried it, but it should work. However, the sheets collect dust, and don't repel it.

... I've read elsewhere (for a different purpose) that people have used dryer sheets to clean their house because it apparently repels dust. Has anyone tried this on Lego?

​Don't think I would use new dryer sheets (like Bounce) as they would leave an oily residue behind, that's basically how they work - by smearing oily gunk all over your clothes, perhaps a used one after it's become light & fluffy, but then again it's the static in the material that you want to draw the dust away from the Lego.  A swifer sheet might work well thou.  if you take swifer sheets  & cut them up into little strips, bundle them up with an elastic band on a stick you can make a great little "feather" duster. :)