Any reference for retirement dates of Lego sets?

Most Lego set databases (BrickPicker, BrickOwl, BrickLink, lego.wikia.com, etc.) provide the year a set went into production. Some occasionally include the month as well (like lego.wikia.com).

Is there any reference for the retirement dates of Lego sets? Even a crude approximation will do. I'm certainly aware of the two years "rule", but this is often way off: the Death Star 10188 has been with us for 7 years now.

Preferably, a format that could be easily digested by software would be ideal. Automated fetching and HTML parsing is fine, but not digging through forum posts. ;)

Does anyone know if such information exists anywhere? Thanks!

Use this above link for the thread, i know you are looking for something that is easier to digest by looking at a software that generate the date or month of retirement for you but i don't think there is one yet.

The thread do have an excel file which seems to be 'broken' at the moment, maybe because of the forum upgrade.

Otherwise that is all i can see around the net, hope it helps.:dontknow:

• Like 1

@jay4e I might be blind, but where does brickset.com list "last sold out" dates? I'm looking at retired sets and not seeing much, for example:

http://brickset.com/sets?query=9449

Thanks!

​If you look at the full site (not sure where to find it on the mobile site), there is a box on the right for availability at Lego.com.  Its not exactly a retired date, just the last date it was sold on LEGO Shop at Home, but its a good guide for most sets. 

Do keep in mind however that sets doing the sell out dance, like Red5 and Pet Shop, will show a sold out date.  Even though they have future availability dates listed on LEGO Shop at Home.  

PS

just did some digging and there is a link at the bottom of the mobile site to switch to full desktop site.  the site however does not recognize the "Request desktop site" option in chrome of android. 

Edited by jay4e

​If you look at the full site (not sure where to find it on the mobile site), there is a box on the right for availability at Lego.com.  Its not exactly a retired date, just the last date it was sold on LEGO Shop at Home, but its a good guide for most sets.

​It sounds perfect for me. Yet I must be definitely blind because I'm not finding that "box on the right" in Firefox, Chrome, or on mobile devices.

I even took a screenshot:
http://www.bricksync.net/brickset000.jpg

Seriously, where's that information supposed to be? Thanks.

​It sounds perfect for me. Yet I must be definitely blind because I'm not finding that "box on the right" in Firefox, Chrome, or on mobile devices.

I even took a screenshot:
http://www.bricksync.net/brickset000.jpg

Seriously, where's that information supposed to be? Thanks.

​I know the confusion you are facing, just click into that particular set by clicking on the name. You will then received the full information on it, such as weight, dimension of box, part lists etc etc. then on the right you will see a "AVAILIABLITY ON LEGO.COM" that will show you the date it is available from in different major countries such as the USA and Canada etc.

Like what others stated before, it is not exactly a retirement date but it does give a bit of indication.

example.JPG

• Like 1

No worries, glad i can help you in this, i am no software engineer so i don't know about that. If it is easy to harvest by software and you are willing to share, i am sure the the folks at Brickpicker would be delighted to have this additional information to add to their own analysis. Like chewzzzuk would love to have this software? since he doesn't want to keep going into Brickset for this particular info.