How to sell used lego

wolfwood390

Question

11 answers to this question

Personally I take them apart, but I'll take good photos of them built first. Good photos can really help sell it.

I like to wash the pieces if they're a bit dirty before I build it to take photos, so that it will look clean. Saying the parts have been cleaned can help sell it too I think. No-one likes receiving dirty Lego that they then have to go clean themselves, and it will look better in the photos. If it's a sizeable set, I'll color sort the pieces into different bags too, to a degree at least. You can do this as you check the parts off against the Bricklink inventory to make sure all the parts are there, and describe it as being complete if they are. It's easier to pack when it's all bagged up too. A good, clear description of what you're selling also helps.

I usually put printed/stickered parts into separate bags too, so they don't get damaged.

In short, a little effort can really help sell used sets and you're more likely to have a happy customer who will leave good feedback (if it's on ebay) or buy from you again. It's also means you can charge a better price if you're using BIN on ebay, which I usually do. Have a look at what the set has sold for in the past to get an idea of what to charge. Good luck!

If you're selling the set as "complete", I much prefer to ship the assembled set as proof that all the pieces are there.  It's way-too easy to lose a few parts (or more likely), the person who receives it will lose a few parts then claim the item wasn't complete.  I just sold a dozen complete kits from a few Craigslist lots this way, and I carefully wrapped each assembled kit in clear wrapping, then shipped them in appropriate sized boxes with packing peanuts.  I didn't have a single buyer complain, and no issues with missing parts this way.   YMMV.  

BTW, this was for kits only, no box or instructions.  My sales of assembled kits with box and instructions, I do dissemble and take careful pics (and weights).

Edited by diablo2112
  • Like 1

Well each to their own I guess. I'm not sure how shipping it built really proves all the parts are there. Parts can break off during shipping or when it's being unwrapped and get missed by the buyer that way too. If all the parts are shipped in zip-locked bags, and the inventory is ticked off as you bag them, there shouldn't be a problem. It's easy miss a part if you're just going by building it.

There's not much you can do about a clumsy buyer who's just gonna lose parts, whatever way you choose. I've shipped over 100 used sets of all sizes in the past year without a problem thankfully. I prefer to receive used sets disassembled too, so I basically just ship them the same way as I'd like to receive them.

• Like 1

I send my used sets disassembled and inventoried (same as MartinP), unless there are multiple plates stuck together (1x1, 1x2 or trans pieces) and have only received one or two notes that a buyer couldn't find a piece (usually buyer error) and the buyer didn't care.  If I don't know how complete a set is, then I will ship it assembled so that the buyer can easily see what might be missing.

I just put together the top half of the fire brigade that I got in a used lot (it had all #2 bags, but none of the #1 bags). What should I do now? Sell the top half? Or try to put the bottom half together from my collection and bricklink? Or something else?

You've already verified the bottom half isn't mixed in with the other bricks in the used lot right? (Not sure what state said lot came in, often there's tubs of mixed bricks involved with said lots, so assuming as much here...)

I just put together the top half of the fire brigade that I got in a used lot (it had all #2 bags, but none of the #1 bags). What should I do now? Sell the top half? Or try to put the bottom half together from my collection and bricklink? Or something else?

​I would recommend getting all the pieces to complete the set. It would be a really hard sell trying to sell the top half of the fire brigade.

• Like 1

You've already verified the bottom half isn't mixed in with the other bricks in the used lot right? (Not sure what state said lot came in, often there's tubs of mixed bricks involved with said lots, so assuming as much here...)

​No. These came in bags with a huge mixed lot of other Legos loose. I have not gone through the whole lot (100lb), but I don't see any of the key pieces yet.