TRU Canada Online - Free Shipping Removed From Many Exclusives

Sandwraith

I commented on this in a thread regarding R5 from TRU.ca, but figured it deserves it's own thread as this is pretty major imo... it looks like many exclusives no longer apply for free shipping over $25, or even $10 off shipping.

For example Palace Cinema: http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?prodFindSrc=cart&productId=19102406 "Free shipping on anything over $25" is not listed. This can be said about most of the "Hard to Finds". I also thought it could just be a bug and will apply at checkout, but nope, $9.83 shipping cost. If you add 4 PC's in cart the cost is $37 in shipping, gross.

So i figured OK, maybe they have a new weight cap for free shipping. Well Tower Bridge still applies for free shipping: http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=18969416 And as we all know this is bigger than many exclusives. So that doesn't really make much sense.

The last items i bought from TRU that were exclusives were Arkham Asylums, and they definitely had free shipping. Anyone know when this change took place? I sent TRU an e-mail, and got a mostly generic response claiming they can exclude what they like from shipping promotions.

Now normally i only buy from TRU if it is OOS on LEGO Shop at Home, or i have air miles coupons. In this case i have $50 air miles coupons i was looking to burn when i noticed this shipping issue. Paying $10 to ship an R5/PC is silly. If this isn't just a bug, and going forward TRU will continue to exclude these bigger items; i will likely need to change up the strategy a bit as to avoid last minute buys and pay $10 extra per item...

Blargh.

Edited by Sandwraithx157

Not for any I've taken a look at.

Some allow a store inventory search, but so few actually have these in stores that it will usually be way too far away :(

Yes in store stock is sparse and the boxes, if seen on display, are beat to hell. But I was hoping TRU online would just forward your order to the store location of your choice. Much like Sears does.

In December and January, TRU was giving a credit of $20 towards shipping exclusives and some items still had a $1-2 charge.  Their regular item policy seems to have changed and many non-lego items are either no longer eligible for free shipping or fluctuate between free shipping and charging for shipping.

I never know what to infer from their site since it's always just a complete disaster. Double listings, ancient listings lingering forever (Fire Brigade anyone?), products shown as in stock that become "out of stock" after you order them, etc. Maybe this lack of free shipping is just another bug on their end or something and they're taking their usual, sweet time fixing it.

I was trying to get a Santa's Workshop today using the CineplexHoliday coupon which didn't work so I put in a ticket with their customer service.  I then got a reply saying they would honor it but I needed call the order in.  So I called the order in and the rep on the phone was real friendly and was trying to put it through but even his own 'generated' codes would not work so he had to escalate it.  Also I noted that the shipping was not being removed either and he said that it could be a glitch or the item was flagged incorrectly as it was not a large or heavy item.

So he comes back after being on hold for a while and said he can't discount that set at all.  Certain sets cannot be discounted at all and he offered me a $10 off coupon for my trouble to use on something else.  He said if I did want it though I should call back and they would be able to fix the shipping.

Seems really odd because I could add a different $100 Creator set to the cart and everything works but Santa's Workshop is a no go.  Not sure how they pick and choose what can and can't be applied but it should at least be obvious to the customer and follow some type of logic.

I was trying to get a Santa's Workshop today using the CineplexHoliday coupon which didn't work so I put in a ticket with their customer service.  I then got a reply saying they would honor it but I needed call the order in.  So I called the order in and the rep on the phone was real friendly and was trying to put it through but even his own 'generated' codes would not work so he had to escalate it.  Also I noted that the shipping was not being removed either and he said that it could be a glitch or the item was flagged incorrectly as it was not a large or heavy item.

So he comes back after being on hold for a while and said he can't discount that set at all.  Certain sets cannot be discounted at all and he offered me a $10 off coupon for my trouble to use on something else.  He said if I did want it though I should call back and they would be able to fix the shipping.

Seems really odd because I could add a different $100 Creator set to the cart and everything works but Santa's Workshop is a no go.  Not sure how they pick and choose what can and can't be applied but it should at least be obvious to the customer and follow some type of logic.

Santa's Workshop falls in exclusive territory and I'm sure TRU is under strict orders NOT to be discounting these sets. I would be very surprised if any discount codes would work for you on any exclusive via their website. If an exclusive can be discounted in some way, it will be quickly reported in this forum, you can count on it!

I picked up a few RI's on Jan 2. The online system was messed up and wouldn't give me free shipping even though it qualified. So I called TRU CS and the lady was nice. She told me to put the order through and she credited me back for the shipping. Took a few days but she came through. Also, they did fix the glitch in the system a few days later.

Don't know if this is a new policy towards shipping or not. But looks very inconsistent so it may be a glitch imo.

Like BOGO 50% off exclusives, good times.

Ex Astris, Scientia.

This happened early in my investing days. I looked closely at 2 SSD and could not do it. Now in similar situation with what I have learned from this great site would not have hesitated. Luckily I did end up with 2 before it was gone

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Free shipping/shipping discounts are back for all of the hard to finds! It still doesn't make too much sense as some heavy items are free over $49, whereas some are only "save $10 on shipping", either way a positive change.

EDIT: Can't get the silly picture to add, but i am totally saying "Good new everyone!" in Farnsworths voice :P

Edited by Sandwraithx157
  • Like 1