Collectable Minifigures: How Do They Fit Into Your Investments/Collections?

Zacherano

I love CMFs but I will admit I buy them solely to keep and display on wooden shelves in my lego room. I'm usually a completist but for some reason it doesn't bother me if I don't have a complete series set. I buy a bunch of packs, smoosh them to find out what I got and I open the ones that I personally like and put them in their little wooden cubbyholes on the shelf. If I have duplicates I keep them sealed possibly for resale later or recently I started giving my dups to my co worker and kinda got her addicted to them too now lol.

My kids love the CMF's but I wont buy any unless they are less than $1.50 (I hate paying retail for things). If I decide to turn them I have a 50% profit margin on retail to work with. Just be patient young padawans and the deals will show up.

I just purchased about 200 Series 7 and 8 CMFs during the Black Friday sale on LEGO S @ H for 60% off plus the 5% back from the VIP program. I love the CMF program and look forward to all the new releases. It never gets old to me and I don't think the CMFs will get old in the future either. Buy right and they are real investment winners in my book. Easy way to double or triple your money...

Yes, I agree with pretty much everything that people have said about the CMFs in this discussion. They are definitely enjoyable and may well be a very sound investment. If the value of the figures keeps rising (not only within their respective series, but as individuals), then this may become one of the most important themes for Lego investors to keep in mind. For now, though, it's unclear.

I think 'completionists' and serious collectors will be the driving force for value of older retired Series'. (I should know since I am a bit of both honestly.) I also have my doubts that the MINIFIGURES line will go away soon or even ever really. Perhaps when they run out of characters to do, but who knows. LEGO may just end up re-designing certain characters in some future Series'. Much of this talk can also relate to the STAR WARS "Planets" sets. Of which, I believe certain ones will become highly collectible later on. Like when we are at the point of LEGO releasing Series 10, the price of the Series 1 "Planets" will be something to see! There's the road of investing/collecting for you. Never know where it may take you!

I think it's also worth pointing out that a future 2013 CMF series (Big Pete at FBTB just confirmed that it is Series 10, due out in May) shall contain one gold figure per box. How does everyone think that this will affect future CMF values; Lego's marketing and sales; and, of course, the ability for collectors, investors, and laypeople to attain the figures?

As I explained on the Brickset Forum following the start of heated discussion, I personally believe that this could be a disaster for all groups involved. Here's what I said:

I hope the gold minifigures are different in some way so it is possible to feel them out. Otherwise, this may be a nightmare for people who actually want to collect specific figures - and for children who want the gold figures. I don't think Lego should do this. If anything, the gold figure should be no less rare than any other.

Or... what if there was a gold plated version of all 16? That would probably be a lot more equitable for everyone involved, and might also help Lego.

I hope the gold minifigures are different in some way so it is possible to feel them out. Otherwise, this may be a nightmare for people who actually want to collect specific figures - and for children who want the gold figures. I don't think Lego should do this. If anything, the gold figure should be no less rare than any other.

Or... what if there was a gold plated version of all 16? That would probably be a lot more equitable for everyone involved, and might also help Lego.

That would defeat the whole purpose of Lego doing a chase figure. They want to up their income and a great way to do this is to introduce a figure in a mystery pack.

So much for Lego protecting their product! lol

I think this could backfire on Lego and result in people just ripping open bags and stealing the goods if this becomes a hot secondary market item.

Considering they will be making 5,000 of the "golden minifigure" per series starting with Series 10, I wonder if it will just end up looking very similiar to the golden chrome key chain minifigure they sold back in 2009. Nothing really special or 'whoop dee doo' about it. Just a plain jane, no frills, golden looking minifig. At best it could end up being gold plated I guess.

Considering they will be making 5,000 of the "golden minifigure" per series starting with Series 10, I wonder if it will just end up looking very similiar to the golden chrome key chain minifigure they sold back in 2009. Nothing really special or 'whoop dee doo' about it. Just a plain jane, no frills, golden looking minifig. At best it could end up being gold plated I guess.

This sure reminds me of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.