Noooooob

Hi folks,

Probably a standard story...

Nearly bought of 10179 quite a few years ago, literally hovering over the buy button and stupidly didnt - regretted it ever since and even more when i noticed the current prices. Bought a 7965 for myself for christmas. Loved the build but it wasnt enough, I started bricklinking the 10179 and am now about 95% there. 

All this seems to have awoken some kind of lego daemon within me that has lay dormant for ~30 years (im 37)

Sooooo I decided I would have a bash at Lego investing and here I am. 

Any wisdom is very much appreciated.

Cheers

Bryn

Hi and welcome.

So are you planning to BL a 1:1 copy? If so you will definitely feel the pain of not having bought it earlier ;)

But regarding becoming a brick investor, I wouldn't look at 10179 too much. There's still money to be made, but don't expect profits like that.

Thanks guys,

Thats a good question makromizer, I havnt totally decided yet.

Initially I am just going to build it using cheaper parts, black levers with grey bases, blank dish, painted rigging, lbg 6 x 14 plate etc and then I may decide to buy the expensive parts in the future but it would hurt me to pay

Nearly bought of 10179 quite a few years ago, literally hovering over the buy button and stupidly didnt - regretted it ever since and even more when i noticed the current prices. Bought a 7965 for myself for christmas. Loved the build but it wasnt enough, I started bricklinking the 10179 and am now about 95% there. 

Welcome!

Did this exact same thing myself and in the exact order haha.

My brickbuilt 10179 has been finished for a while now, and even wall mounted it! you can check that out here if interested:

http://community.brickpicker.com/topic/11552-my-10179-ucs-falcon-wall-mounted/?hl=10179

Have fun! :D

Edited by Sandwraithx157

Welcome!  Best advice is read, read, read.  There's tons of stuff to devour here.  There's no set answers, but you'll learn lots of the ins and outs.  If you haven't already figured this out, the key for many newcomers is 2 strategies.  

The first is the long-term hold approach:

1) Figure out which sets are close to retirement;

2) Decide which of those sets is a worthy investment and likely to appreciate on retirement; and

3) Find a way to acquire those sets, in your desired quantity and preferably at a discount.

The second strategy is the quick-flip

1) find sets at substantial discount, and buy lots of them;

(be prepared to know the ins-and-outs of every Walmart, TRU, Target, and K-Mart close to you, and visit them often)

2) find a way to sell which minimizes overhead and maximizes short-term profit/unit.

This steps and strategies interact with each other.  A set that might not be near retirement nor that desireable when purchased at MSRP could be a great deal if you find a substantial discount.  Recent examples in this category include heavily discounted sets like the Ninjango Mechdragon, the Joker Steamroller set, or the City Mine 4204.  All of these were available at least 50% off MSRP, sometimes substantially more.  As a bit of general advice: nearly ANY Lego set is worth purchasing if found at 80% off or greater from retail.   

On the flip side, you have exclusive sets that can be hard to find at discount, but which have a history of price appreciation on retirement.  These present a different set of issues, such as acquiring enough to meet your targets while avoiding getting banned for purchases direct from Lego.  In this later category, you have big, expensive sets usually bought at- or near-MSRP like the modular buildings (Pet Shop and Palace Cinema are the focus of many of our current acquisitions), Star Wars exclusives (Red Five X-Wing 10240 is a current example), and other misc sets like ToO, Tower Bridge, etc.

Once again, read, read, read.  You'll have tons to learn in all the areas mentioned, above.  You'll soon form your own opinions and focus.  You'll decide if you want to buy lots of cheaper sets and flip near-term for modest profits, or invest in exclusives which pay-off from longer-term holds.  Welcome again, and good luck.

Edited by diablo2112
  • Like 1

My advise would be to monitor the forums for a while before you start buying for investments. You do not want to just start buying random sets because they are on sale. Figure out a strategy before you start buying and it will save you a lot of frustration later.

Welcome

Read a lot here

Beware of opinions  - everyone has one.  Eventually you will have your own as well.  Trust yours once you develop it and don't be afraid to admit mistakes.  We all make them and we only learn when we admit we make them and share. 

Buy what you like.  So if it doesn't turn out the way you want - at least you have it for yourself.

Have fun.  If someday this turns out to be more work then fun I will quit in a heart beat.

Lots of Gospel here. Welcome aboard.

Reverand SpeedSausage nailed it- establish a way to sell as quickly as you can. Many of us have gone from novices to drowning in a mountain of Lego inventory- and not knowing what to do next- in the blink of an eye.

Money to be made my friend!

• Like 1

Hey folks,

Thanks again for all the welcomes.

Ive spent most of today on bricklink *cough* working, ordering the last 5% for the MF

So. Many. Orders.

Honestly why wouldnt Lego just put all the parts in a single box and sell it to me if I want it???

Just kidding. Is been an experience. Will post pics when shes done.

Cheers

B

• Like 1