New to collecting / investing. Will compensate for help

As the title states, I am just getting started in collecting and investing in Lego sets. I would like to get a jump start and ask someone to help me out in figuring out which sets to buy. I am willing to compensate for your help. I am 40 years old, married, and have children so I'm not some wishy washy youngin. Thank you in advance. 

• Like 1

Welcome to Brickpicker!

all the investing tips you need are on this site and are absolutely free. No need to pay anyone for stuff that can be found for free with a little bit of effort. Welcome to the site and good luck.

Yep, there is absolutely tons of stuff on here. The forum is also well organized, so topics are fairly easy to find, just got to look in the right places. Just a quick rundown, there is the search bar at the top right, and plenty of categories on the main forum page, inside each you have the specific threads relating to all kinds of info. I gaurentee you there is much more than one might expect to find, it`s amazing.  :declare:

If you`ve got any general questions feel free to ask someone or myself. There`s plenty of very knowledgable folks on here who I`m sure will be happy to help, but like stephen_rockefeller said, you can find lots with just a bit of looking. 

• Like 1

all the investing tips you need are on this site and are absolutely free. No need to pay anyone for stuff that can be found for free with a little bit of effort. Welcome to the site and good luck.

very true but just a free warning

hxckid88 (sorry if I flipped the x and c again) will gladly ask you to paypal $5 to his personal email address for just about anything lol

As stephen said though plenty of people willing to help out and plenty of information available if you take the time to read the threads.

• Like 4

Task #1: Buy 5 Flying Flushers right now!

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/The-Flying-Flusher-70811

You'll sit on those for too long waiting for them to appreciate.  Here's three quick tips because I'm bored:

-Join the free Barnes and Noble email club (or the full club for 25 bucks), wait for an email coupon, and use it to buy every "Fallingwater" Lego set in your area in-store.

-Try to get some Ghostbusters Ecto-1 at Toys R Us using coupons (none right now but they creep up every week or two)...that will be a winner.  

-If you see people post that "Research Institute" is live for its normal price, get some.  You'll want them one year from now even with no discount now.

• Like 1

Buy high and ... sell higher!

and I mean that. I suggest people avoid cheap sets unless you're very comfortable with selling online.

1) buy sets that are ~$100+ (GB, RI and arch. sets are ok too. i.e. limited collectors stuff)

2) get any discount/rewards you can (mostly discounted gift cards on the sets mentioned in 1))

3) try to buy near EOL (End Of Licence, i.e. not making the set any longer)

• Like 1

(disclaimer: this message is offered in general for all new investors wanting a "jump start", "boost", or "playbook", etc. and is in no way meant to be personal)

Perhaps don't even waste your time. Maybe you want to invest the effort to figure it all out like EVERY member here continues to do every day, and maybe you don't: 

1. Do you love Legos?

2. Do you have great patience, enjoy definite but limited risk, and fully embrace the concept of "win some, lose some"?

3. Do you have at least three to five times as much available spare time, capital, and space as you currently think you need to do this?

If your answers are not three resounding YESes, my advice is to ignore these forums and previous friendly advice.

Instead, I'm happy to be compensated in the form of a percentage of all your proceeds... which of us buys, stores, sells, and ships will determine what that percentage is. I'll make solid decisions and make us both money with your money. Others here would do an even better job than me. Many would not. Who knows what results would come from your own efforts?  Am I making my point clear?

It's just not nearly as simple as it probably seems. But for those who have the 3 yeses and a willingness to dig in, get dirty (in many ways), and "earn" their way, it can be pretty sweet.

In all seriousness and friendliness, take a good look at yourself and situation and decide if this is for you... if it is, you'll find the tools and do some digging first, then have more productive / specific questions to ask which will be happily answered by some and derided grouchily by others. Welcome to brickpicking.

Adieu.

As the title states, I am just getting started in collecting and investing in Lego sets. I would like to get a jump start and ask someone to help me out in figuring out which sets to buy. I am willing to compensate for your help. I am 40 years old, married, and have children so I'm not some wishy washy youngin. Thank you in advance. 

Those sets have recently retired (or are just about to do so "officially"), if you think one is a good investment and you find them at MSRP, buy them:

- Town Hall

- Grand Emporium

- Horizon Express

- Sopwith Camel

- Arkham Asylum

- Maersk EEE

- Fallingwater

- Research Institute

- Arctic Supply Plane

- R2-D2

- Haunted House

Those MIGHT go EOL in the near future (within the next 12 months, no particualr order), if you have the space and money and you think the sets are good investments, stock up on them:

- Red Five X-wing

- Ewok Village

- Sydney Opera House

- Death Star

- Exo Suit

- Birds

- Ghostbusters

- Mobile Crane MKII

- Metal Beard's Sea Cow

- Tower of Orthanc

- Pet Shop

- Palace Cinema

- VW

Whether a set is a good investment or not, nobody can answer for sure because everything is the the eye of the beholder. Also nobody can answer for sure when to buy best, or at which price and how many to buy. Every investor has to find his own way and you there will never be THE best advice for any question.

• Like 1

Buy a postal scale. Oh and some stick on shipping labels. Find a clearance set or two and go through the process. Buying is the fun part, post it, sell it, pack it, and ship it. Do that 10x then evaluate how much you like it. If so then proceed, if not you can jump out without having too much tied up. Please don't just buy a bunch of stuff thinking your going to make money. Hustling is what we do, and it's not easy.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Brickpicker mobile app

• Like 2

Thanks, rfish, your response was pretty much what I was looking for. Some idea of what is a good investment right now. Something that will get me started right away. Yes, I will be doing my homework and finding my own way in the future. I really do appreciate the info.

As a single wishy washy youngin I guess I have no advice you want to hear.

• Like 1

very true but just a free warning

hxckid88 (sorry if I flipped the x and c again) will gladly ask you to paypal $5 to his personal email address for just about anything lol

As stephen said though plenty of people willing to help out and plenty of information available if you take the time to read the threads.

You owe me 5 bucks. My name is copyrighted and protected and posting it requires a 5 dollar fee. Thanks.
  • Like 2