Another 40-something AFOL turned collector

Just a quick note to say hi.  Very much enjoy studying and reading here, lots of good advice.  Just starting to purchase a few sets for hobby investing, we'll see how it goes.  I can't possibly add anything here as I'm the newbie.  I'll just read-read-read to gain some understanding and insight.

Speaking of kits I've picked up, I stocked up on a few Pet Shops and Tower Bridges, picked up a couple of Cranes (42009), the Maersk ship, several camper vans, and a few other modulars.  I figure I'll by what I like to build, mainly larger kits aimed at older/adults. 

I noticed that LEGO Shop at Home showed the City Mine set (4204) is showing as "sold out".  Based on other info found here (I guess production stopped on this set a while ago), I hit up the local TRU.  They priced-matched a Walmart ad that had the set at $82, so I picked up 10 at that price.  We'll see.  Maybe my first multi-purcase will be a bust, in which case a) my wife will say "I told you so", and B) my venture into brickvesture will be over.   :)

post-48332-0-58272200-1420832465_thumb.j

Welcome and nice start by the way. Find your niche is this vast hobby and enjoy.

Buying and selling is the fun part after the building of course.

Get your storage closet ready for about 500+ cuft of LEGOs. You're gonna need it. NOT on your work bench. ;-)

It wont take long to fill up your shelves.

First off, buy that TRU manager a christmas card and stay friends with them. VERY few are that accomodating. You've got a big leg up there :)

Welcome, good luck, keep the wife appraised of any big sales, and very few purchases. Buy her something nice with the profits and enjoy disguising your hobby with 'brickvesting' :)

Welcome. Seems like you're not doing too bad as a newbie. The one thing I would say, as a new seller (I fit in this category as well) I'd be careful about buying large quantities of any one set unless it's a crazy good deal on a sure fire winner. It looks like you've got about $1000 wrapped up in that picture alone plus a significant investment in the other sets you've purchased. While I'm sure you'll come out ahead in the long run, it's real easy to get carried away in inventory acquisition in the beginning. Best advice I've read is to set a hard limit on what you're willing to invest initially and then don't exceed that number until you start bringing in positive cash flow from sales to reinvest, particularly with a spouse that's not 100% sold on the venture. Best of luck in you're endeavor.

welcome to the site

not sure if this is intended only for the picture, but I wouldnt store the sets like this long term

I'm starting myself and was wondering why stacking this way is bad? I looked in a few of the storage threads and couldn't find mention of why.

Can you tell me, please?

Thanks!

• Like 1

I'm starting myself and was wondering why stacking this way is bad? I looked in a few of the storage threads and couldn't find mention of why.

Can you tell me, please?

Thanks!

the ones of the bottom will cave in with time . Best is to have 5 of them standing on their side then have the second 5 go the same way but perpendicular to the ones on the bottom
  • Like 1