The Thrill of the Sale

daddysbailey

As the holiday season overwhelms us with it's buying frenzy it brings with it selling season. I watch day in and day out as we buy and sell like brokers at the brick exchange. I gorge myself on holiday deals bat caves, Mixels and hunting down rare missed or returned sets. Then comes the thrilling part selling it. I watch my iPhone like a blue haired retiree from Boca Raton in Vegas, waiting for the cha-Ching. Sadly my listings expire no takers and then comes the hard part stuck to my price point, or compromise it for the thrill of the quick sale. It's the age old battle of that quick rush or the long rewarding was it. Ironically this is the American mercantile dream in action complete with the very American desire to forgo long term benefits for the quick easy buck. So what will I do wait and risk not selling at all or obey my urge to get my adrenaline rush of selling? How about all of you are you like so many listings no profit just the game or smart and savvy?

Both. I sell mainly used sets so my margins are generally higher giving me more wiggle room where pricing is concerned. Depending on the set I'll either drop the price to get it out of my house or let it sit until it sells. For example, a $40 city set doesn't sell in a month? Drop it to $35. A motorized AT-AT hasn't sold for $250? Let it ride and display it until it does. Incidentally, I turned off notifications on the eBay app long ago, so I only know if something sold if I check. Only way to keep what's left of my sanity this time of year.

This is my first experience with the Xmas selling frenzy. I maybe did not sell as much as some of the vets here but I think 25 sets in two weeks is not bad at all. I love it!

But what I love even more than selling is buying. Finding that old retired set in a mom's and pop's for dirt cheap. Nothing beats that for me.