should I be suspicious? Ebay buying decision

Dkc

Hi,

For the Ebay veterans, I saw a "buy now" for a nice NISB Lego set (still in production - not retired) at significant discount off MSRP.  The problem is that the seller is in Asia, just joined Ebay a few months ago, and has only a few feedback.  His feedback consists of people who have supposedly bought the Lego sets with no problem.  I looked around and I don't think the chinese has made the fake on this set yet.

am I setting myself up for a scam?  Supposedly ebay/paypal favors the buyer if something goes wrong, right?  Am I seeing risks that are not there, or rightfully concerned?

your thoughts are appreciated.

Edited by Dkc

Hi,

For the Ebay veterans, I saw a "buy now" for a nice NISB Lego set (still in production - not retired) at significant discount off MSRP.  The problem is that the seller is in Asia, just joined Ebay a few months ago, and has only a few feedback.  His feedback consists of people who have supposedly bought the Lego sets with no problem.  I looked around and I don't think the chinese has made the fake on this set yet.

am I setting myself up for a scam?  Supposedly ebay/paypal favors the buyer if something goes wrong, right?  Am I seeing risks that are not there, or rightfully concerned?

your thoughts are appreciated.

To me, any set from anywhere at a significant discount on ebay is a scam.  Adding Asia to it seals the deal for me.  I personally would not buy from there, but others will have differing views on that.  Too many red flags for me.

what is a drop ship scam?

also, I guess I'm asking what risks am I exposing myself to?  What bad things can happen in spite of the ebay/paypal buyer protection?

If you're buying an illegally drop shipped item, you are potentially facing legal ramifications due to the set being purchased with a stolen credit card which is then sent to your address making you the suspected thief.  You can also be banned from purchasing from wherever the set was purchased from as well.

A drop ship scam is where the seller uses stolen credit card information to purchase the item from a 3rd party and have it shipped directly to you.  So you likely get the product you wanted, but some person out there ends up with a fraudulent charge on their card.  And the contact information that the store has is yours.

I've twice made purchases that I believe were part of a drop ship scam, though I didn't know at the time of placing the order/winning the auction.  I got both sets and I was never contacted by anyone investigating the orders, but both had invoices with prices significantly higher than what I paid and the bill to sections of the invoices were random people from middle america.

Now that I'm aware of these things, I avoid auctions and storefronts that offer Lego sets at prices that are too good to be true.

• Like 1

A drop ship scam is where the seller uses stolen credit card information to purchase the item from a 3rd party and have it shipped directly to you.  So you likely get the product you wanted, but some person out there ends up with a fraudulent charge on their card.  And the contact information that the store has is yours.

I've twice made purchases that I believe were part of a drop ship scam, though I didn't know at the time of placing the order/winning the auction.  I got both sets and I was never contacted by anyone investigating the orders, but both had invoices with prices significantly higher than what I paid and the bill to sections of the invoices were random people from middle america.

Now that I'm aware of these things, I avoid auctions and storefronts that offer Lego sets at prices that are too good to be true.

Man, I'm too naive to ever think of this type of scam.  ok, you've convinced me to stay away.  I appreciate everyone's wisdom on this.

Edited by Dkc
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Drop shipping scam.  I'm sitting on a pet shop right now that was drop shipped from wallmart.com by somebody in Vietnam.  Better half thought she is a top deal finder in the family.  Will be sitting on it for another year until statue of limitations expires.  Local PD didn't want it wall mart didn't want it so filed an FBI complaint and it will be  mine in a year. :)

Guest brickcrazyhouse

what is a drop ship scam?

also, I guess I'm asking what risks am I exposing myself to?  What bad things can happen in spite of the ebay/paypal buyer protection?

karma. depends on what you receive if anything