UCS 10143 Death Star II vs 10188 Death Star (play-set)

NZ-EUG

Hi all,

Would like your thoughts on UCS 10143 Death Star II vs 10188 Death Star (play-set)

First off I'm a collector/builder and don't really plan on investing or selling my Star Wars IV-VI sets.

I have nine UCS sets already.

Plus a selection of play-sets from starting from 2010 to current range.

I like both these sets. "Buy both you I hear you say"? lol

But I don't really want to double up.

Should I just buy play-set version for the mini-figs & pure fun of having Death Star ?

Or should I take the plunge & invest in the UCS Death Star II?

What are you thoughts?

Help me make an informed decision!

Edited by NZ-EUG

Haha, before reading a single word past the title, I was thinking buy both. :)

To me it depends on whether you're a minifig collector as well. If you love those little plastic figures, go for the 10188. So many cool scenes you can make with the figures. If you're not partial to the minifigs, I suggest you check out a fellow BP'ers thread about 10143. It's a very cool set and is generally considered a better display set.

http://community.brickpicker.com/topic/11670-bricklinking-the-10143-death-star-ii/?hl=10143

• Like 1

Haha, before reading a single word past the title, I was thinking buy both. :)

To me it depends on whether you're a minifig collector as well. If you love those little plastic figures, go for the 10188. So many cool scenes you can make with the figures. If you're not partial to the minifigs, I suggest you check out a fellow BP'ers thread about 10143. It's a very cool set and is generally considered a better display set.

http://community.brickpicker.com/topic/11670-bricklinking-the-10143-death-star-ii/?hl=10143

Read also the conclusion of hendrikdejager about the DSII and see if it is worth it.

Hi guys, so I've just missed out on an online auction (www.trademe.co.nz) 10143 Death Star II sold for $900.00 NZD in 100% complete but used condition.

Any one keen to sell me there second hand set ? with tracked delivery to New Zealand?

I sold an old 10030 to someone in Australia and with tracking, the shipping cost $198.. (from Canada mind you, but still)

I have had a few used ones of both and the playset is not worth displaying to me.  The DS II on the other hand is just an awesome display piece.

As someone who owns both, it's funny I feel the exact opposite.

I love 10188, i think it's an amazing piece (I don't even care about the mini-figs that much) and I find the DS II a boring and tedious build and while it looks ok, I was almost tempted to sell my only copy. 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest TabbyBoy

Chalk and cheese. The 10143 is fantastic and I regret selling the only one I had as I was moving home at the time. On the other hand, the 10188 is a dreadful dolls-house of a montrosity that I'll not touch even with Emazer's barge pole. I don't hate it quite as much as Ewoks but, it's close! ;-)  The only way I'll bite on the utterly disgusting 10188 is if it's 1/3 off or more so I can sell the minifigs and use the parts. But, two hopes of that - Bob Hope and no hope.

• 2 months later...