Value of 2 lego store displays?

ABCkipper

my friend is trying to sell me 2 Lego store displays and I need help figuring out their vale. first one is the newest Chima one that displays Lavels fire lion 70144 and one other set with mini figures, new in shipping box. the other set features Star Wars AT-AT walker and snow speeder. both these sets light up and are displayed in a plastic box. Any ideas on what their value may be. He thinks they are worth $200 and $400. I would appreciate any help as I am a newcomer to Lego Collecting. Thanks

They don't have a designated value per se. They are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them. I do know that some people on ebay are pretty proud of them and try to sell them for big bucks and they usually never sell at the super high prices the sellers are asking. Just know the sets are glued so they really have no value by themselves. A few members love these displays and probably over pay to get them for their collection.

Edit: Don't let him take you for too much money as I would be willing to bet he got them for free.

• Like 1

Short answer:  Those prices are about double what they should be.  Only buy them if you personally like them.  As investments, they are not a good bet.

I have a few displays and I love them, but their investment potential is limited.  Shipping is high and the market for them is very limited.  With that said, Star Wars displays and "minifig lineup bars" are the most desirable since they have a broader appeal.  I don't know about the market in Canada, but those prices in the US would be very high.  I would put the Chima one at $80 -$100 max and would only buy it if you personally like it since it will be hard to sell.  The Star Wars one (which is a cool one) I would value at about $150-200.  To give you an example, the really awesome Star Wars one with 40+ minifigures sells for around $600 with a wide standard deviation.  Obviously condition matters quiet a bit.  

Here are some examples of ones I have purchased, but don't expect to ever make any money on:

Monster Fighters - Ghost Train etc - $109 - including shipping

The Mine - Brand New - $100 - including shipping

Olivia's House etc - Brand New - $80 - including shipping

2012 Super Heroes - Minifig lineup - $225 - including shipping

• Like 1

I've seen several of the Star Wars displays draw in about $300 Cdn each not long ago, but it was not to Lego enthusiasts, they were offered at an annual local Antique Toy & Comic showcasesale - there's a huge Star Wars fan base that's always looking for something different, something that afols would just pass on.  Chima I would not imagine has nearly the draw since it's too young to be collected by reminiscent adults & still a toy for the kinds.