Need some advice should I buy used Modular's?

anolian

There is a local seller selling off all his Lego Modular sets. They have all been opened and put together. The add says they come with all pieces original box and instructions. To used sets gain value as much as brand new ones. if so are these pireces lised below any good. I am from Canada so they are all in CAD.

10211 - LEGO Modular - Grand Emporium - 100% complete, including box and manuals... - $165.00 

10232 - LEGO Modular - Palace Cinema - 100% complete, including box and manuals... - $170.00 

10197 - LEGO Modular - Fire Brigade - 100% complete, including box and manuals... - $200.00 

10218 - LEGO Modular - Pet Shop - 100% complete, including box and manuals... - $165.00 

10224 - LEGO Modular - Town Hall - 100% complete, including box and manuals... - $200.00

Custom LEGO Modular - Downtown precinct. This is a custom build modular that uses the same templates as official LEGO modulars. Some pieces were substituted (I.E. rather than 2-2x2bricks i would use 1-2x4brick) however the design remains the same. Includes the files purchased to build it. I can leave it built or can take it apart if you'd like. ~~ $200.00 

Custom LEGO Modular - Corner Cafe variant. This is a custom build modular that uses the same templates as official LEGO modulars. It is a large set with if i recall over 2500 pcs. Some pieces were substituted (I.E. rather than 2-2x2bricks i would use 1-2x4brick) however the design remains the same. Includes the files purchased to build it. I can leave it built or can take it apart if you'd like. ~~ $250.00. 

Custom LEGO Modular - Chilli's Restaurant. This is a custom build modular that uses the same templates as official LEGO modulars. . Some pieces were substituted (I.E. rather than 2-2x2bricks i would use 1-2x4brick) however the design remains the same. Includes the files purchased to build it. I can leave it built or can take it apart if you'd like. ~~ $200.00. 

Custom LEGO Modular - City Residential Pack - London Row Houses. This is a custom build modular that uses the same templates as official LEGO modulars. Some pieces were substituted (I.E. rather than 2-2x2bricks i would use 1-2x4brick) however the design remains the same. Includes the files purchased to build it. I can leave it built or can take it apart if you'd like. ~~ $180.00.

Guest TabbyBoy

Call me a snob but, I'll never pay close to or above RRP for anything used.  As Ciglione said above, the FB is the best bet but, I'd still rather buy a new Pet Shop for example unless I was building it.

I agree with Ciglione: If it is for your personal use do whatever you feel like ^.^

If it is for investment I wouldn't get them but rather buy new ones.

The only set I might buy is the FB but I'm not sure if buying a used one is a better investment than buying another set that is new...

In the end it's all speculation and maybe you can sell them for more money than we think but personally I wouldn't go for them (except for the FB maybe).

While used sets will increase in value after a set is retired they don't gain nearly as much as sealed ones do. Unless these prices are significantly below Canadian retail I would pass on them, unless you just want to build them. The MOCs, while they do have value, are way over priced. The only used set that am currently holding with the expectation of seeing future gains is a Haunted House, and that one I got in a bulk lot that I sold the rest of so it was essentially free.

If you get the modular lot...PM and I'll trade for the Chilli's restaurant with you :) 

IMO, for the CAN market (don't know exactly what region you're in) I would say he'll sell this lot for that price and won't take too long.  I don't like or buy used sets myself but when you factor in our taxes...I Lego fan can save a boat load of cash buy buying this collection of used modulars vs retail.   

cool.  Lets just say, if this seller was in the Toronto area...I would probably make a deal with the person.  Based on top-of-my-head calc, you're easily saving +$300 vs retail (taxes) for the 5 used official modulars.  There might actually be flipping potential there where you could make some cash selling off each modular separately, will take time. 

If you don't like used, than not the deal for you if you want to display/collect.  Investment wise...usually better to go for sealed/new sets as others have mentioned. 

I would gladly trade a NISB Grand Emporium in good/great condition with you for the Chilli's Rest if you're interested so let me know.  My wife actually wants it the first time I showed her the pics.  It could be her xmas gift haha.       

Weakside makes a good point. Factor in taxes, shipping etc to get the currently available sets new. If you are looking to build this might be a good option. If you think you might like to buy serveral of these don't be affraid to make an offer below what he is asking. Worst thing that will happen is he will tell you no.

If it was me I would go after the sets that aren't available (retail) anymore. (FB)

I would hold on GE and PS as they are still available. TH is becoming harder to find although I think it still has some time left.

What are your intentions with modulars? Investment, collection/ build?

Edited by pstebbing

heck, do you have pics of the other 'custom' modular from the sellers post?  If I can see them...I'll offer you some NISB sets with the same value or a little more in a package deal with you.  Make it worth your while. 

I could take the used PC off your hands too (at $170 value) if you decide to do the deal with the seller.  No rush, just LMK.         

For investing no, for building not a bad deal

See if he can do a bundle offer

...what he said :-)  Not much margin for investment/resale, If you are missing one or two & just want to complete a display for your own his prices aren't too unreasonable - even for used (in Canada). the Chilli's restaurant is a nice looking build. (I think the instructions are available on the net for that one)...   The post has only 50 viewers since being posted last evening so in the Ottawa market that shows you there isn't much interest. in 12 hours that should have been at least twice that, likely as they are the recent modular or customs.   

if you are a parter-outer there is a significant difference in "used" and these "display" type models as the parts are best condition for resale - that's likely the only way to look at these from an investment point of view.