Lego Star Wars Episode VII Set Speculation and Rumors

trekgate502

My first idea was a 20,000 piece UCS Millennium Falcon.

Those Master Builder who do not yet have the 10179 would say 
"I felt a great power in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in joy.  I am thinking something awesome has happened!"

The avid Brickpicker who has a room full of 10179's mint sealed would say
"I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if hundreds of brickpicker's suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly depressed. I fear something terrible has happened."

Well, with at least one SW film per year, stating next Christmas, you know there's going to be plenty of merchandise to go with it.

I think the current MF will get retired.  I don't expect a UCS MF, but a regular MF, with new minifigs that are current to the new film.  That will be your $120 set that is connected to the film.  If the MF is iconic enough to make into Episode VII, it's iconic enough to get a new Lego set.

I'll throw this out there - wouldn't it be great if Lego could somehow get a blind bag CMF set?  Talk about a gold mine...

Well, with at least one SW film per year, stating next Christmas, you know there's going to be plenty of merchandise to go with it.

I think the current MF will get retired.  I don't expect a UCS MF, but a regular MF, with new minifigs that are current to the new film.  That will be your $120 set that is connected to the film.  If the MF is iconic enough to make into Episode VII, it's iconic enough to get a new Lego set.

I'll throw this out there - wouldn't it be great if Lego could somehow get a blind bag CMF set?  Talk about a gold mine...

Just wait until the Star Wars version of Disney Infinity gets released.

• Like 1

It strongly depends on the movies.

They remade the UCS X-Wing and I wouldn't be suprised to see a remake of the Tie-Fighter.

Personally I'd like to see the UCS MF again but I doubt it (at least for the next years).

Probably LEGO earns more money if they sell smaller versions of the MF (like they do...) since more people will spend 120$ instead of 500$ for a LEGO set.

Also the playability is far superior and the main target group = children.

I'd also say that another bust might make it's appearance (C3P0 for example ;-) or stormtrooper, emperor, the little brother of lukes friends aunts brother in law sister... ).

What we saw so far have been sets from the original movies and 1-2 from the new movies... which did not perform equaly good...

I would be thrilled to see an UCS version of the AT-AT and since LEGO ideas supports this one I think we might get lucky if lego figures out how to put one together that is cost effective for them.

My Lego insider, leaked the 2015 set list to me and on that list

Set number 75095 UCS Tie Fighter in limited release in September retail price $400 New Zealand dollars.

I'm hoping lego re make and release UCS Millenium Falcon, with same piece count, but with a printed cockpit section, and new minifigs would be nice.

How many of you guys are just buying the UCS Slave 1 just for new Bobba Fett minifig?

My Lego insider, leaked the 2015 set list to me and on that list

Set number 75095 UCS Tie Fighter in limited release in September retail price $400 New Zealand dollars.

I'm hoping lego re make and release UCS Millenium Falcon, with same piece count, but with a printed cockpit section, and new minifigs would be nice.

How many of you guys are just buying the UCS Slave 1 just for new Bobba Fett minifig?

Well not only for the new (not so much altered...) Bobba Fett minifig ^.^ but because I own but the first LEGO Slave I and I really like the new design. Also it's nice that they'll add other minifigs and the carbon-han-thingy...

Han minifig  in carbonate, is quite common to two years ago playset verison of Slave 1 and in last years Jabba's Palace.

I'm sucker for Bobba Fett, printing on the arms is new, plus new design for blaster.

Plus I don't have the Cloud City guard fig, A nice edtion would of been Lando and Lobot minifigs!

How cool would it be if Lego finally re released and updated Cloud City Set in either playset or UCS bigger set?

This would make nice edition to my collection.

Not keen on the expanded universe range of Star Wars Disney Rebels.

Edited by NZ-EUG

I know that the Han minifig in carbonate isn't new but still it is nice to have it included in the set ;-)

So yeah as you said it's all about the arm print which for me personally isn't a big deal... so I wouldn't get the set just because of the minifig.

Also I think you might be a little bit too early with your judgement about the expanded universe range of SW Disney Rebels. I know it's not the original triology okay okay... but the design they use in the series is sometimes based on the original art conecepts for the original triology! (which is pretty nice if you ask me!).

Plus I do see a lot of potential in this series as it is closer to the original triology than the clone wars series which has been closer (totally related to? ^.^) to episode I-III.

I'm having great hopes for the expanded universe when it comes to LEGO sets to be honest though I'm not counting on it. But you just never know...

Regarding the rumoured re release of the UCS Millenium Falcon, I hope Lego re designs the cockpit with a printed section like they did in the current playset verison,

Update the minifigs, and keep the set peice count and build the same. This gives new collectors like me a chance to add the UCS Falcon to my collection with out having to take out a second morgage on my home lol.

All good Brick Troller,

Not keen on the Disney logo begin printed on the boxes now either lol.

I agree with you on the Disney logo but it is not that bad.

From Disney's perspective if I paid $4.5 billion I would want to slap my logo on the box and maybe on the back of the robes that the Jedi wear in the movie too.  hehehe.

My thoughts on the 2015 SW and LEGO as they relate to 7965.

Assumptions:

• TLG will always keep some version of the "iconic" SW sets in rotation. I'm going to define iconic as X-Wing, TIE Fighter, and Millennium Falcon.  As long as TLG has licensing rights to SW there will be no long periods of time without some version of these sets available.
  • Episode 7 is going to feature the MF in a starring role. Leaks so far have disclosed that Disney has built an interior set of the MF, an exterior mockup of the MF, and possibly a soundstage version of the MF.  It is going to get a lot of screen time.
  • The current 7965 is arguably the best "play set" version of the MF ever released. It has the largest piece count of any MF other than the UCS. It is destined to be a desirable aftermarket set unless a better "play set" version comes along.
  • The current 7965 is episode 4-6 specific due to the minifigures.
  • The current 7965 was introduced in summer 2011 and will be over 4 years old by the time episode 7 comes out.

The open question is what is TLG going to do with 7965 and the MF in general?

Unlikely:

• Option 1: Keep 7965 an active set through 2016 and let it ride the popularity of episode 7.  Possible, but given that the MF appears to have a central role in episode 7, and that 7965 has episode 4-6 specific minifigs, I think this is very unlikely.
  • Option 2: Retire 7965 and not replace it for episode 7.  This is the best aftermarket scenario for 7965 and would be a gift for resellers. I don't think it is likely given the role of 7965 in episode 7.
  • Option 3: Do a quick refresh of 7965. Give it a new part number, new assortment of minifigs, and new box. Keep the design the same. This isn't really TLG's style and I don't think it is likely either.

Likely:

• Option 4: Release a new MF in the 800-1500 part range.  This is probably the worst likely scenario for 7965. The aftermarket value won't just linger as long as there is a directly comparable set in production.
  • Option 5: Release a new MF in the 300-500 part range.  This is probably the best likely scenario for 7965. Anybody who wants a "big" MF but can't spring for the retired UCS would seek out 7965 in the aftermarket.

Regardless of what happens, the way TLG produces for episode 7 is going to have a very interesting effect on current sets.

One possibility...  We may never again see an episode 4-6 MF again.  If episodes 7-9 are successful, and the MF stars in all of them, all future MF sets may be specific to those episodes.

My thoughts on the 2015 SW and LEGO as they relate to 7965.

Assumptions:

• TLG will always keep some version of the "iconic" SW sets in rotation. I'm going to define iconic as X-Wing, TIE Fighter, and Millennium Falcon.  As long as TLG has licensing rights to SW there will be no long periods of time without some version of these sets available.
  • Episode 7 is going to feature the MF in a starring role. Leaks so far have disclosed that Disney has built an interior set of the MF, an exterior mockup of the MF, and possibly a soundstage version of the MF.  It is going to get a lot of screen time.
  • The current 7965 is arguably the best "play set" version of the MF ever released. It has the largest piece count of any MF other than the UCS. It is destined to be a desirable aftermarket set unless a better "play set" version comes along.
  • The current 7965 is episode 4-6 specific due to the minifigures.
  • The current 7965 was introduced in summer 2011 and will be over 4 years old by the time episode 7 comes out.
The open question is what is TLG going to do with 7965 and the MF in general?

Unlikely:

• Option 1: Keep 7965 an active set through 2016 and let it ride the popularity of episode 7.  Possible, but given that the MF appears to have a central role in episode 7, and that 7965 has episode 4-6 specific minifigs, I think this is very unlikely.
  • Option 2: Retire 7965 and not replace it for episode 7.  This is the best aftermarket scenario for 7965 and would be a gift for resellers. I don't think it is likely given the role of 7965 in episode 7.
  • Option 3: Do a quick refresh of 7965. Give it a new part number, new assortment of minifigs, and new box. Keep the design the same. This isn't really TLG's style and I don't think it is likely either.

Likely:

• Option 4: Release a new MF in the 800-1500 part range.  This is probably the worst likely scenario for 7965. The aftermarket value won't just linger as long as there is a directly comparable set in production.
  • Option 5: Release a new MF in the 300-500 part range.  This is probably the best likely scenario for 7965. Anybody who wants a "big" MF but can't spring for the retired UCS would seek out 7965 in the aftermarket.
Regardless of what happens, the way TLG produces for episode 7 is going to have a very interesting effect on current sets.

One possibility...  We may never again see an episode 4-6 MF again.  If episodes 7-9 are successful, and the MF stars in all of them, all future MF sets may be specific to those episodes.

Awesome break-down; thank you for posting this.

• 2 weeks later...

Lego will want to do an UCS MF that runs from end 2015 to 2020. This will be the ultimate set to replace 10188 and the best way for lego to maximize SW theme revenue. Question will be if disney allows it, which I think disney will be foolish to block this new UCS MF.

Agreed! well said.

Lego will want to do an UCS MF that runs from end 2015 to 2020. This will be the ultimate set to replace 10188 and the best way for lego to maximize SW theme revenue. Question will be if disney allows it, which I think disney will be foolish to block this new UCS MF.

I seriously doubt the contract between Disney and Lego gives Disney a specific veto over individual sets. It more likely contains general provisions about royalty rates, number of sets being marketed, and management of the brand.