Gumtree tips and tricks

Jules_K

So I've had my first couple positive experiences on Gumtree as a seller. Without worrying about postage, ebay and paypal fees I'm able to sell at a much lower price on Gumtree and still make more money than if I was selling on Gumtree. It seems like a win/win for the purchaser and the seller.

Case in point was 2 high speed passenger trains I got from Amazon UK for AU$132 shipped. I sold both of these on Gumtree within a week for $165, netting me $33 profit for each train. To get the same profit on Ebay, assuming shipping is $25 and the buyer uses Paypal, I would need to sell the item for $217 (with free shipping for the buyer). As the retail on this item is $230 I would find it near on impossible to sell on Ebay at that price.

Both buyers seem quite suspicious at first, I think they must assume the goods are stolen to be sold for that cheap compared to retail prices. I said both times I'm an adult collector who needs to cut back on the collection, which seemed to put them at ease. Also I let them pick up from my residential address rather than meeting them in a dodgy carpark somewhere.   :cheese: 

Do many others on here sell on Gumtree and what are you finding are the pros and cons? 

So I've had my first couple positive experiences on Gumtree as a seller. Without worrying about postage, ebay and paypal fees I'm able to sell at a much lower price on Gumtree and still make more money than if I was selling on Gumtree. It seems like a win/win for the purchaser and the seller.

Case in point was 2 high speed passenger trains I got from Amazon UK for AU$132 shipped. I sold both of these on Gumtree within a week for $165, netting me $33 profit for each train. To get the same profit on Ebay, assuming shipping is $25 and the buyer uses Paypal, I would need to sell the item for $217 (with free shipping for the buyer). As the retail on this item is $230 I would find it near on impossible to sell on Ebay at that price.

Both buyers seem quite suspicious at first, I think they must assume the goods are stolen to be sold for that cheap compared to retail prices. I said both times I'm an adult collector who needs to cut back on the collection, which seemed to put them at ease. Also I let them pick up from my residential address rather than meeting them in a dodgy carpark somewhere.   :cheese: 

Do many others on here sell on Gumtree and what are you finding are the pros and cons? 

Thanks for the heads up mate, never thought of Gumtree. I tried to sell a couple of my 79105 on there for $45 and didn't even get a bite :/

But the larger sets may be a better option.