Building the Palace Cinema 10232

matt1147

I was able to pick up a 100% complete, open Palace Cinema 10232 with box and manuals from Ebay.

The Palace Cinema is, of course, part of the Creator "Modular" series and is considered Expert since it is labeled for ages 16+.  It was released on March 1, 2013 and is the third corner building after the Cafe Corner and the Grand Emporium.  The large red baseplate is unique to this set.  It contains 2196 pieces, many dark tan and dark red, and retails at $149.99 USD. Some think the design is inspired by Grauman's Chinese Theatre in Hollywood, California.

The set contains 6 minifigures and a black convertible, however, my review does NOT contain the convertible due to missing pieces.  

THE BOX & MANUALS

The large box measures 22.5" x 19" x 3.5" and is beautifully done:

post-3001-0-81019100-1412295332_thumb.jp

post-3001-0-44837300-1412295345_thumb.jp

There is 1 instruction sticker sheet and 3 manuals:

post-3001-0-54909100-1412295380_thumb.jp

THE MINIFIGURES

There are 6 minifigures - child star, chauffeur, female and male guest, photographer, and cinema worker.

post-3001-0-71186800-1412295509_thumb.jp

THE BUILD

The build starts with the limousine (not pictured) and a couple minifigures before getting into the building's first floor.  The sidewalk portion of the building utilizes a bunch of assorted tiles for a real smooth, clean look.  The first floor interior is a little plain with a snack bar, a ticket booth, and a stairway up to the 2nd floor.  Since the cinema is a corner building, the front doors are attached using claws and poles and they swing open wide. 

post-3001-0-83586700-1412295434_thumb.jp

post-3001-0-44617600-1412295809_thumb.jp

post-3001-0-96790400-1412295821_thumb.jp

post-3001-0-96347700-1412295833_thumb.jp

The second floor facade continues the use of arches and windows and an interesting use of "skeleton feet" to create a wrought-iron gate look. 

post-3001-0-37716600-1412297334_thumb.jp

The interior of the second floor is the movie theatre itself - 2 rows of 3 seats facing a movie screen (sticker) with an old-fashioned movie reel in the back.

post-3001-0-99753200-1412295863_thumb.jp

post-3001-0-15340900-1412295873_thumb.jp

The third floor is just the roof.  The back part of the roof is rather plain, but does include an access door from the stairway below.  Whatever the back lacks in detail and design, however, is made up for by the front facade of the roof - beautifully done "shingles" are created by utilizing 1x1 round cannonball pieces.  The apex of the roof is also nicely done utilizing some snot techniques with dark red bricks.

The final build is the marquee "Palace" sign that attaches to the front of the building.  The design is very clever, spelling out the word "palace" using only blue and white bricks.

When it all comes together, you're not disappointed:

post-3001-0-55558200-1412297214_thumb.jp

post-3001-0-86991500-1412297253_thumb.jppost-3001-0-58834600-1412297269_thumb.jp

For investing purposes, the only "cons" that I could think of is that the building only contains 2 actual floors, when others have 3, and the use of stickers in key locations - like the marquee and the movie screen.  However, that is nit-picking in my opinion. The Palace Cinema is a beautiful build and displays very, very well.  It is only the 2nd modular building that includes a vehicle, and while the 6 minifigures aren't anything too special, they are typical for a modular.  The corner design should help it's popularity, and the fact that most modular fans will want/need this set.  Of course, there is speculation that the more recent modulars have been made in larger quantities than some of the earlier ones (like Cafe Corner, Market Street, and Green Grocer), but no one really has access to that information.  I believe that even these recent modulars will be in high demand to some degree.  There are "new" LEGO collectors entering the market every day - whether they are new to LEGO or coming out of their dark ages - and once they discover the modulars, they will want to include as many as possible in their collection.  So while the Palace Cinema won't probably see values like the Cafe Corner, there's a good chance it's value could mirror the Fire Brigade after retirement.

post-3001-0-07410200-1412295852_thumb.jp

• Like 3

Nice review, thanks!

I'm looking more for playability and fun for kids then value, and this set looks awesome! 

I'll pick it up a bit later, 'cause I just picked GE :)  Think PC will be available for a while. 

I kinda wonder why the minifigures are using old style faces (all modular sets)?  Any idea?

I was able to pick up a 100% complete, open Palace Cinema 10232 with box and manuals from Ebay.

The set contains 6 minifigures and a black convertible, however, my review does NOT contain the convertible due to missing pieces.  

:)

Great review, the PC was my first modular I build.

Now I'm hooked and got all modulars starting from the FB.

I really like the building, and I think it fits nice in the modulars street line although some think it doesn't fit in.

Edited by Dennan
  • Like 1

Really nice review!

@Ronda:

I can only speculate on this one... probably they want to stick to the original theme.

I'm also a little bit confused about it though. But since they offer enough other heads to replace them if needed it's not a big deal.

Maybe they just feel that those smiley faces - since they really are pretty neutral - fit best with the theme. You don't need to come up with new racial/gender/whatsoever stuff and there's no need to justify why there are no different ethnics. Once starting that game they will have to be very careful as for what the minifigure is doing. F.e. if they added black minifigures and the first ever added black minifigure would be I don't know... a busdriver or the janitor... or an asian minifigure that's serving chinese/japanese food... then people will eventually start shitstorming LEGO.

This is even true for "faces". Mostly/Always female minifigures for example have those rouged/lipsticked faces. Forcing girls into believing that women should look like this!!! (yeah some people really think that way...)

It's in no way consequent of LEGO to add other faces in other sets and stick to those in the modular series if my thoughts should just somehow be close to the truth.

Probably it's just to fit the general "spirit" of the modular series.

I'd love to have this one answered from a LEGO-official though (the real version of it ^^) since I've wondered the exact same thing.

• Like 1

People tend to love it or hate it. I am one of those that feels the Hollywood Boulevard look doesn't really fit well with the rest of the modulars that have a more classic look. Added to that the unexciting interior, the use of stickers and some parts of the build that I found somewhat repetitive are the reasons it is my least favorite modular.

But I still wanted it so I would agree that fans of the modular buildings will still seek this one on the secundary market after EOL.

I really have to admit that this is one of my favorites!

Parisian restaurant is my top favorited at the moment but the cinema really has something unique to it that makes you wanna have it.

I love all those small details and the roof construction really is great and sticks out among the other modulars.

• Like 1

:)

Great review, the PC was my first modular I build.

Now I'm hooked and got all modulars starting from the FB.

I really like the building, and I think it fits nice in the modulars street line although some think it doesn't fit in.

Didn't realize I contradicted myself there - thanks! I should have the missing pieces for the limo brick linked soon.

• Like 1