TRU.CA Bricktober Week 1 - Good Buys?

Veegs

With the flyer out and nothing really on sale (unless I totally missed it) it looks like bonus Airmiles and promo sets will pair best with MSRP sets. Is anyone else considering (like me) grabbing a couple of Frankenstein MF sets? I know TRU has them marked up to $74.99, but I could add a CMF and get the pumpkin poly and first mini-mini modular. Not bad for a retired set that is ready to go through its first holiday season retired...

Anybody have any inspirational ideas on how to get maximum value from this promotion?

The new Hobbit sets will arrive on the 15th if you needed something for next weeks promo, they were already on the shelf at our TRU - until ya took one to the cash - then they wouldn't allow you to buy them (they do this every year!)    When there are no sales you might still get a manager's deal on damaged box sets (TRU always has a good selection of run-over boxes available) 

IMO, had HH never existed...than VC is actually a good set, nice minifigs etc.  I don't have the desire to build the VC or GT.  Unless there's a 30% or more sale on Monster sets I just can't pull the trigger to invest more in this theme.  I think for investing purposes, funds can be used better else where.  I've seen VC in all the TRUs in my local area (Toronto).  There should be a min 20% off sale soon to get rid/lower of stock. 

As bought too much Swamp Creatures as a rookie mistake my first yr haha.     

Too bad I don't have anymore VC's to trade with you.

Yeah, sucks just missing a 20% off sale   Just order from playvaluetoys.com (direct VC link cut and paste doesn't work for me) speedsausage...cheaper than TRU.  Sets/packaging are always good from my experience.  Good luck...enjoy your Halloween build.   

• Like 1

This is what I'm torn between doing. Picking up a PS at lego B&M for 2xVIP and a VC at TrU. OR a PS and TH both for 2xVIP.

The VC is for personal and I would like it to set up for Halloween but the inflated price kills me since they had 20% off in august.

They actually had the VC $50 off (their inflated $149) several months back. Even with the double promo sets, $149 is way to high for investment purposes. I wonder how many mini-mini promos they'll have per store - I don't think they'll have any left after the weekend. This is by far the coolest promo I've seen for a Bricktober and I think it will sell better than any TRU promo stuff I've had before.

They actually had the VC $50 off (their inflated $149) several months back. Even with the double promo sets, $149 is way to high for investment purposes. I wonder how many mini-mini promos they'll have per store - I don't think they'll have any left after the weekend. This is by far the coolest promo I've seen for a Bricktober and I think it will sell better than any TRU promo stuff I've had before.

I missed that sale :(

Apparently it's "minimum" of 10 units per store... 

I'd like at least a couple of that 'minimum' each week, so I'm planning to go Friday before the Sat/Sun crowds. There is only on TRU in my whole area so promos and sales don't usually last long (when there are decent sales, anyway...20% off TRU prices doesn't usually attract the crowds, but some of their 50% off offers flew off the shelves)

Been into a couple TRU's lately to scope out anything, but i'm just not finding anything really worth it right now.

Would love to get  a VC and Ghost Train for personal builds, but with VC at $150, it's gunna take a decent sale for me to bite.

Side note: Galaxy Squad seems to have been cleaned out pretty darn quick in my area! Nothing on the shelves to speak of. LR Mine still sitting around though, maybe they will up the clearance on this soon.

Edited by Sandwraithx157

Been into a couple TRU's lately to scope out anything, but i'm just not finding anything really worth it right now.

Would love to get a VC and Ghost Train for personal builds, but with VC at $150, it's gunna take a decent sale for me to bite.

Side note: Galaxy Squad seems to have been cleaned out pretty darn quick in my area! Nothing on the shelves to speak of. LR Mine still sitting around though, maybe they will up the clearance on this soon.

I'm on the same page as you with the VC. Hard to pay the 150!

• 2 weeks later...

Well i managed to get the week 1 set with RI's, but i couldn't find anything worth while week 2. However week 3 will have %20 off the MF line, plus the Arc Fighter poly (and the week 3 set of course). 

Perfect chance for me to grab a Ghost Train at %20 off and a couple extras to soften the blow :D

%20 off the Vamp Castle still isn't enough with it's markup, otherwise i'd go for that.

Well i managed to get the week 1 set with RI's, but i couldn't find anything worth while week 2. However week 3 will have %20 off the MF line, plus the Arc Fighter poly (and the week 3 set of course).

Perfect chance for me to grab a Ghost Train at %20 off and a couple extras to soften the blow :D

%20 off the Vamp Castle still isn't enough with it's markup, otherwise i'd go for that.

Agreed on the mark up with the VC but with the 20% off, I think I'm still going to grab one since I missed out on the HH. I want to have something setup for the kiddies on Halloween and what else am I going to pair the ghostbusters up with???

Edit: yes I know there are no ghosts the VC set.

Edited by speedsausage

It isn't great, but at the very least you know that once TRU runs out of MF stock it is well and truly gone. With the US prices of the VC climbing on ebay 20% off $150 plus a poly and a Christmas set is enough for me to bite.

Edited by Veegs
  • Like 1

It isn't great, but at the very least you know that once TRU runs out of MF stock it is well and truly gone. With the US prices of the VC climbing on ebay 20% off $150 plus a poly and a Christmas set is enough for me to bite.

it is kinda edging toward the pick it up side of the line... if one can't decide on anything else, but the increases on ebay may fade very quickly in a couple weeks once hallows eve passes.

it is kinda edging toward the pick it up side of the line... if one can't decide on anything else, but the increases on ebay may fade very quickly in a couple weeks once hallows eve passes.

True, but as a buy and hold, I'd think you would almost be assured a decent profit by next Halloween. As far as I know, TRU.com MF stock is also basically gone, so we should be able to get a real idea of how the MF theme will fare EOL.

True, but as a buy and hold, I'd think you would almost be assured a decent profit by next Halloween. As far as I know, TRU.com MF stock is also basically gone, so we should be able to get a real idea of how the MF theme will fare EOL.

Really can't disagree... seems the MF line was slow movers but lot's of features to be had, & sometimes the sets that seem to linger have a side affect of "I'll just pick it up later sometime" then they go oos & become quite sought after, might not even hafta wait for next Halloween.

Hopefully this "fade" also happens with the HH after Halloween. This will probably be the best time to pick one of those up in the after market.