Lego model numbers

I was wondering about the model numbers for sets. I noticed all the sets are XXXXX-Y, where the Y is a 1 99.99% of the time. I know I have seen a few -2 sets here and there. I can't think of any off the top of my head but I know I have seen them. What is that all about? Is there a method to the madness of these set numbers? Will a set number tell me anything about a set?

As far as I know the -1 and -2 is a naming convention used by Bricklink and Brickset and not by Lego themselves. I also can't think of them off the top of my head but I know there are some cases where set numbers were reused by Lego and so for categorization purposes there is a XXXX-1 and XXXX-2 in the catalog.

As far as I know the -1 and -2 is a naming convention used by Bricklink and Brickset and not by Lego themselves. I also can't think of them off the top of my head but I know there are some cases where set numbers were reused by Lego and so for categorization purposes there is a XXXX-1 and XXXX-2 in the catalog.

Sears Tower/Willis Tower?

Thanks. That explains alot. I think one of the hobbit or LOTR sets is also a reused number. But as far as the numbers themselves they are just random (besides keeping themes and years together)? There is no meaning in the number? No year or theme info? No horoscopes? No messages from the NWO? No apocalyptic predictions?

The numbers are simply meant as an easy way to catalogue and index sets by Lego I imagine. Star Wars is a good example where this helps the most. Say you're looking for the Y-Wing. Okay so which one? :scratchhead: If there wasn't a number to index it then how well could you find it (besides year and name)? There is something of a formula to what number systems they use now that we have five digits replacing the older four digit code altogether like anything in the "30000" is usually a polybag.

No horoscopes? No messages from the NWO? No apocalyptic predictions?

Nah, there is no "Da Vinci Code" of Lego to decipher although I'm sure there is a hooded man who reeks of urine that could find a hidden plot in anything out there somewhere. Did you know girl scouts and crop circles are related? The truth is out there.