Anyone else investing in the largest IPO ever?

pickleboy

This probably belongs in the "other things we invest in" thread but that has turned in the "investing in Frozen" thread...

I want to know who is going to invest invest in the largest IPO to date this Friday?  Anyone else betting the house on BABA?

Why or Why not?

I am putting as much cash as I can muster ASAP b/c I have no idea how you could go wrong with the largest retailer on the face of the planet and they are just starting to really grow.  (They are barely international at the moment.)  

This probably belongs in the "other things we invest in" thread but that has turned in the "investing in Frozen" thread...

I want to know who is going to invest invest in the largest IPO to date this Friday?  Anyone else betting the house on BABA?

Why or Why not?

I am putting as much cash as I can muster ASAP b/c I have no idea how you could go wrong with the largest retailer on the face of the planet and they are just starting to really grow.  (They are barely international at the moment.)  

Unless you were able to get shares at the offering price - just buy Yahoo.

The problem with investing in Yahoo to get to BABA is that you still own Yahoo.  

I agree that it would have been nice to get the initial offering.

I am buying at 9 AM on Friday.  I will let you guys know how it goes :)   (I plan on holding a loooooooooong time so I am less concerned about what it does over the next few months and more concerned with what it does as it expands globally.)

They also own part of Snapchat.   I wish their consumer finance division was part of the IPO.

Edited by pickleboy

The problem with investing in Yahoo to get to BABA is that you still own Yahoo.  

I agree that it would have been nice to get the initial offering.

I am buying at 9 AM on Friday.  I will let you guys know how it goes :)   (I plan on holding a loooooooooong time so I am less concerned about what it does over the next few months and more concerned with what it does as it expands globally.)

They also own part of Snapchat.   I wish their consumer finance division was part of the IPO.

should have bought more Haunted Houses instead... no need to hold

The same thing was said about (NASDAQ:FB)Facebook Inc. I bought this stock on Short instead and this made me about $500 back than. Not so sure about BABA.

This is true.  It took FB a while to make positive returns for those that bought on first day(1 year?) But 18 months later you have almost 100% returns.  (If you bought lower...)   FB still had issues driving revenue from mobile users when they went public.  BABA is profitable with massive returns already.  I am not saying you are wrong...just keeping the discussion going.  

Anyone ever tried to shop on Alibaba? I gave up after a few tries bc most listings were fake or scammers just trying to obtain your info. I counted dozens of listings that I knew were fake when I was shopping for Skylanders awhile back. Nothing but fake sellers offering bulk shipments of hard-to-find characters. Way too good to be true.

Well I knew it would fly up from the 68 but the fact that it went public at 92.70 sucked...  (Lucky holes who got in at 68...)

I think it drops over the next few weeks as large funds accumulate (manipulation) then goes northward to never see these levels again.  I am long at 92.70  but I only put in a third of my resources for this.  I'll average down if goes South and wait for pull backs as it goes North.  

I agree they have a bunch of fake **** but most people in China have no idea if the stuff is fake.  Also, their strength is when u put in  your own specs for an item you want made and the number of units and the sellers submit bids to you for your business.

They also own the shipping company they use and some other cool stuff...

They also have a consumer finance unit which is not part of the IPO.

Edited by pickleboy

Well I knew it would fly up from the 68 but the fact that it went public at 92.70 sucked...  (Lucky holes who got in at 68...)

I think it drops over the next few weeks as large funds accumulate (manipulation) then goes northward to never see these levels again.  I am long at 92.70  but I only put in a third of my resources for this.  I'll average down if goes South and wait for pull backs as it goes North.  

I agree they have a bunch of fake **** but most people in China have no idea if the stuff is fake.  Also, their strength is when u put in  your own specs for an item you want made and the number of units and the sellers submit bids to you for your business.

They also own the shipping company they use and some other cool stuff...

They also have a consumer finance unit which is not part of the IPO.

Uhm... yep, you can order custom-printed minifigs...

What a great idea. Invest in a company in which you do not actually own shares, but instead own shares of a proxy holding company in the cayman islands. Not so much me thinks. This is a chinese company with a small group of founders that have perm. control over the board and their own execa. Shares will have no controlling rights or powers. I would not touch this much less suggest it to my clients. Also it is a chinese company is a still bery much "communist" country that still very much controls everything. I think people do not understamd communism anymore or care since we buy their cheap crap in our country. By the way there is much sarcasm in this post.