10228 - Haunted House

Jeff Mack

Modular or not?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. Do you consider the Haunted House a modular house?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe with some modifications.

Really, It retired the 29th of November 2013.  Average price between Amazon and Ebay is about $140-145.00  

I see a lot more sold listings in the $115-130 range and some of those are inclusive of shipping (reducing the price another $10-15).  There are BIN listings out there for $115-120 right now.  Once you take out eBay and Paypal fees that barely clears the retail price with tax.  Obviously most investors bought in at a lower price.  I am not down on this set entirely but being retired for nearly a year it has not seen much growth.  BA is right.  TRU had a lot to do with that by having stock for months after LEGO retired it.

Edited by zskid00

Really, It retired the 29th of November 2013.  Average price between Amazon and Ebay is about $140-145.00  Based on a retail purchase price that is an 11 month appreciation of 40-45% gross ROR.  I am glad I am not any of your investment advisor as that is a pretty solid Rate of Return for an asset, and cannot really be beat for the risk that is taken.  How many stock market investors have that kind of return had you stayed in over the same time period, I'll answer it, 3.82% over the same time period (with a ton of risk).  I do think the expectations of investors or flippers here are pretty far out there.  That is an awesome 11 month return.  I think the problem for many people in evaluating the quality of these returns is that you are measuring a hundred dollars.  This for many people won't even pay your gas or electric bill every month.  That being said these sets should be looked at appropriately.  Along those same time lines if you look at the Lion Chi Temple it is far outperforming this Vampyre Castle as the Lion Chi has not even officially retired yet.... I have twice as many castles as I do Chi sets.  I had no Chi sets until the Target clearance.  I am glad I picked them up.

Didn't know that the 70010 is already a $150 set.

Once you calculate fees and shipping cost that 40-45% goes to about 10-15%.

The reason I mentioned the VC in the HH topic is because I'm hoping with the retirement of the HH, the VC would follow in its path.

Key word I used here is, "GROSS"  Your net, my net and anyone else s net are very different.  You cannot make Net assumptions and pass them into other investor scenarios because you lack information.  Gross is an easily measurable number that applies across the board.  The point of my diatribe is that the measurement perspective is off.  I will take these returns all day long.  On the other hand the costs of ownership may be higher investing or flipping lego than with "stocks" or bonds.  The overhead to buy and sell a residence in a flat or slightly increasing market is 20%.  That being said anyone buying a home with less than 20% equity will be in an upside down situation.  All investments have costs.  In terms of real property replacing windows, leaks, roof, insurance, property taxes, etc. etc. etc..  The net investment potential of an investment really depends on the individual investors goals and objectives.  That being said I am not a seller at this price because I want more and am willing to exchange time for a higher return.  I will get interested in exiting when "MY" net return is 100% of RRP.  This is an acceptable return for the risk taken.  It may take 3 years to get there.  That would be an annual ROR of about 32%.  I am good with that.  In fact I am VERY GOOD WITH THAT relative to the risk.

• Like 1

Key word I used here is, "GROSS"  Your net, my net and anyone else s net are very different.  You cannot make Net assumptions and pass them into other investor scenarios because you lack information.  Gross is an easily measurable number that applies across the board.  The point of my diatribe is that the measurement perspective is off.  I will take these returns all day long.  On the other hand the costs of ownership may be higher investing or flipping lego than with "stocks" or bonds.  The overhead to buy and sell a residence in a flat or slightly increasing market is 20%.  That being said anyone buying a home with less than 20% equity will be in an upside down situation.  All investments have costs.  In terms of real property replacing windows, leaks, roof, insurance, property taxes, etc. etc. etc..  The net investment potential of an investment really depends on the individual investors goals and objectives.  That being said I am not a seller at this price because I want more and am willing to exchange time for a higher return.  I will get interested in exiting when "MY" net return is 100% of RRP.  This is an acceptable return for the risk taken.  It may take 3 years to get there.  That would be an annual ROR of about 32%.  I am good with that.  In fact I am VERY GOOD WITH THAT relative to the risk.

Hey, Stop using those fancy financial words .......All I know is that If you sold it at $150..........You didn't make ****.

I give up on this house, it really is haunted. The last EIGHT times I have managed to get a couple into an ordering window it poofs on me. At this point, whatever future ROI I would have made on a stack of these has already been spent on JD to compensate from the frustration of not getting it.

Considering going to Chima sets only, before the HH sends me to the Betty Ford Clinic.

• Like 1

I give up on this house, it really is haunted. The last EIGHT times I have managed to get a couple into an ordering window it poofs on me. At this point, whatever future ROI I would have made on a stack of these has already been spent on JD to compensate from the frustration of not getting it.

Considering going to Chima sets only, before the HH sends me to the Betty Ford Clinic.

Have you seen the returns on the chi temple, could be doubling up before fees there as well if bought for the right price. Hmmmm