160 gb ipod classic discontinued

cladner

Yesterday apple discontinued the ipod classic line which had dwindled down to the mammoth 160 gb ipod classic.

The ipod classic can no longer be purchased from apple.

Target has them instore only for $245.

The lowest price on amazon is now $345 and will only go up from here.

This was the iconic device that launched Apple's takeover of the world.

Overtime, apple nuts will pay to replace their old broken ipod with the same thing at greater cost.

160 gb storage really is the thing that sets this apart which is twice as much as the largest ipod touch.

This hasn't changed in 5 years.

Given that music consumption habits are now going towards streaming and subscription of compressed crappy sounding files, the demand for a new similar large capacity portable music player is just not going to be there, so people who want to physically have their music library on their person and not have to rely on the "cloud" will also want one of these.

i have 2 of these filled up.

this device is my player because it allows me to listen to 24 bit /48 KHz lossless files that were created from either vinyl transfers or SACD encodings .

i'm thinking about snagging 2 or 3 more from target for a long term hold or for my own use.

Edited by cladner
  • Like 2

its all about the click wheel which is finito.  

ipod touch is no different than the iphone except you can't make a phone call...

128 is less than 160.

i wouldn't go out and buy 10 of these but i'm going to try and get a few more for myself more than anything though i will sell if they get to $500.

also walmart app shows them in stock all around me.

i wouldn't be surprised to see a clearance of these too which is what i'm hoping happens.

Edited by cladner

Guest TabbyBoy

Whoever buys the 160GB iPod Classic in quantity will lose. I think it's value will soon tank as something bigger/better is just around the corner, Apple aren't stupid.  Anyhow... if you love your music like I do, you can't beat the sound of real vinyl on a good Rega turntable where even CD on a good Arcam player comes second and MP3 (or other encoded files) a very distant third.  Watch out for the iPad Touch 6G which may be 256GB or more. ;-)

Edited by TabbyBoy

Well, I really appreciate this thread. Thanks, Cladner. I love the Ipod Classic and had been thinking about buying another one for when my current one inevitably dies. I had a hard time finding one still at retail (Target and Best Buys in my area all sold out. Thank you, Fry's). The difficulty I had finding one and the panic I felt at the prospect of not finding one, does make me think this has resale potential.

yeah - i normally agree tech aftermarket is a guaranteed loser with a few exceptions like the first gen playstation 3's which sell for $1200 new and were the only devices capable of ripping sacd's.

i'm just thinking in this case, the classic ipod with the clickwheel will have some diehards who will pay and pay when the ipod dies which they all do.

my wife told me to go out and buy 2 backups when i told her this morning it was discontinued.

agree vinyl is best quality - just not feasible when you are out riding your bike or driving in your car.

Tech is a tricky market....there are some stars but most of it fast becomes worthless. There are some jewels in the '70's and 80's at this point Commadores, tandy's, apple II, 8.5 inch floppys, high spec A/V equipment, heathkits and some boat anchor radios. Heck even good running, serviced VCR's are creeping up. But it is a pretty high risk IMHO.

I don't have input or opinion as far as investment, but I love my 160GB iPod Classic. My first MP3 player was some craptastic off brand that cost like 130 bucks 7 or 8 years ago. Got the classic after it crapped out and never had to buy another MP3 player again. With the amount of space on it I often use it for storage as well.

besides walmart and target, radioshack is an unexpected place you can find these.  

even assuming you paid msrp and you sold for 375, after fees and shipping you made $50 for each transaction. price will continue to go up between now and christmas.

ebay prices are slightly ahead of amazon.

Edited by cladner

Thanks for this thread. I just had my classic die so I was thinking of getting a new one. I definitely like the huge storage space. Not sure about investment though. A lot of people prefer the touch.

The next iPhone is also coming in a 128gb version (which means the touch will eventually go there too) but the phone will be expensive and the ipod touch 6 128gb will likely land around $419 (Canadian pricing). That will leave those 160gb somewhat desirable but could depress the price.... eventually. The 128mb touch is likely 6 months away.

Thanks for this thread. I just had my classic die so I was thinking of getting a new one. 

better hurry up.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_from=R40%7CR40%7CR40%7CR40%7CR40%7CR40%7CR40&_sacat=0&LH_ItemCondition=3&_dcat=73839&Generation=7th%2520Generation&_nkw=classic+ipod+160+gb

Edited by cladner

• 3 weeks later...