Multiple Quantity Sales - Shipping Question (when not free)

gregpj

Here's the scenario... I have multiples of 1 item for sale and don't feel like making multiple listings so I use the quantity field. I setup shipping to be actual cost based on dimensions and services. When a user buys more than 1, they are getting a "shipping discount" even though I have discounts turned OFF.

It was a Mars Rover... to ship one was approx $11. Shipping two came out to $13.50 and eBay had the nerve to print "You gave an $8.50 shipping discount" on the order... and I'm thinking, hell no I didn't. I don't use flat rate because it never handles that scenario properly either.

How do you guys set that up? I think I'll be OK for this one, but if someone ever bought larger sets in multiples (which can get heavy) or something like the MP-Grimlocks which are just large boxes, this could really cut into the profits.

And no, upping the price and doing free shipping isn't a good option... It'll put me out of reach of Canadian buyers if I want to offer it for sale in the US (that $11 translates to at least $16 to the US in this case).

I'm thinking I'll just have to up the package size & weight just in case... I don't try to make money on shipping (I've been known to refund large differences in payment vs cost). It would be nice to be close though since feeBay takes a cut of the shipping cost.

This is automatic if you do calculated shipping. The "discount" is just the difference in shipping cost for shipping 2 items in one box versus 2 separate shipments with separate postage.

What exactly are you concerned about? Did it under calculate the cost?

I think in this case it might be close, but yes I think it's low...

I tried it on my listing for a larger item (where I have 5) and it showed shipping 1 as $17, 2 as $19, etc, Five come in at $28 which is totally under the total cost - cost would be at least $45 if not more. Seems to me their "discount" shipping rate is based on rather shoddy calculations.  Since the listing is placed in the 1-2kg weight category, shipping 5 could be anywhere from 5kg to 10kg (11lbs to 22lbs) and in a box almost twice as big as an SSD. There is no way a 20lbs box that big is only $28.

So I'm just curious what other people do for listings where someone buys more than 1.... It matters not if you give free shipping, but it sure takes a bite if you don't.