Ebay Returns Item Not as Described

jbacunn

Need some advice. Sold a small dollar item total with shipping about $9. The buyer initiated a return with the reason that the item was not as described meaning that I have to pay shipping back, refund full amount including shipping, and get a defect counted against me. The reason he gave was completely wrong. I sent him a message and told him his reason was bogus (politely). He replied back and said I was right and he made a mistake. He still wants to return the item but for me I really don't want it back. I'm more concerned with the defect being counted against me. I just want to refund him and be done with it. I don't want the item back. Can he close the return case or if he doesn't return it will the defect be counted against me or has that already happened when he started the return?  Thanks for the feedback. 

You already have the defect because he opened the case with item not as describesd as the reason. The only way to get the defect removed is if you escalate the case and they find in your favor or no fault. If they find in the buyers favor however that is a case strike against you. Go above 0.3% on case strikes and your will get permanently banned from selling. Case strikes will ding you harder in search than defects. If your buyer closes the case before you escalate there is no way to have the defect removed. 

Personally I would refund the buyer and move on. I would not worry about a few defects. Ebay gives you a certain amount of defects as a cushion against the inevitable morons on ebay so I would not even waste any time or energy on the phone over such a low dollar item. Hint: low dollar items attract problem buyers like magnets - keep multiple seller accounts for your low dollar items and save your good trs accounts for your top dollar sets.

Need some advice. Sold a small dollar item total with shipping about $9. The buyer initiated a return with the reason that the item was not as described meaning that I have to pay shipping back, refund full amount including shipping, and get a defect counted against me. The reason he gave was completely wrong. I sent him a message and told him his reason was bogus (politely). He replied back and said I was right and he made a mistake. He still wants to return the item but for me I really don't want it back. I'm more concerned with the defect being counted against me. I just want to refund him and be done with it. I don't want the item back. Can he close the return case or if he doesn't return it will the defect be counted against me or has that already happened when he started the return?  Thanks for the feedback. 

The defect has already been applied (when the return reason was used). You can try to contact ebay, but even if you are able to find the right person to have it removed - it will not be as easy as you might hope.

As far as the impact of 1 defect - Yes, it is meaningless (until it destroys the status of your account).

Wait, if a buyer wants a return, you have to pay for shipping back to you?

If you have easy return set up (which will soon become mandatory) - all the buyer needs to do is check the reason box that states that it was not as described (whether it is true or not - no explanation needed).

And as a bonus - you get dinged.

Wait, if a buyer wants a return, you have to pay for shipping back to you?

This is what you agreed to when you signed into your account a few weeks back under the new MBG:

"When an item is returned to the seller

• The buyer must return the item in the same condition in which it was received.

• The seller is required to accept the return at the same location specified in the listing.

• The cost of return shipping is the seller's responsibility. For return of items with a total cost of $750 or more, we require signature confirmation.

• The seller pays for any customs charges on the returned item.

Either we generate a return shipping label or the seller can provide a label. We add the cost of an eBay-generated label to the seller's monthly eBay invoice."

Note the MBG trumps your return/no return policy. If you state no returns the buyer keeps the item plus gets the refund so best to offer a return policy. For SNAD cases sellers now pay for return shipping regardless of if they are in the HFR program.

This is what you agreed to when you signed into your account a few weeks back under the new MBG:

"When an item is returned to the seller

• The buyer must return the item in the same condition in which it was received.

• The seller is required to accept the return at the same location specified in the listing.

• The cost of return shipping is the seller's responsibility. For return of items with a total cost of $750 or more, we require signature confirmation.

• The seller pays for any customs charges on the returned item.

Either we generate a return shipping label or the seller can provide a label. We add the cost of an eBay-generated label to the seller's monthly eBay invoice."

Note the MBG trumps your return/no return policy. If you state no returns the buyer keeps the item plus gets the refund so best to offer a return policy. For SNAD cases sellers now pay for return shipping regardless of if they are in the HFR program.

Wow!  Selling on ebay has become toxic. 

Wow!  Selling on ebay has become toxic. 

It all depends on what and how you are selling. Ebay wants you to be selling new items and in large volume. If you do that you will make good money. If you sell used items or don't sell alot to absorb defects/losses then ebay is obviously not the smartest choice (but I hear some guys are working on a new lego marketplace :)

If you do stick with ebay make sure you price in returns accordingly. The MBG is good for 30 days so every seller now offers a 30 day return policy with free return shipping if the buyer claims SNAD. Raise your prices.

Only way to get the defect removed is to call it in.  If he admitted he made a mistake in the case when you call it in ask them to look at that.  It will waste at least an hour of your life in the phone call but that is the only way to have it possibly removed.  Its not a guarantee but you have a good shot.  I usually let a few build up and call in all at once.  It takes a good 45 minutes to an hour to have them review while you are on the phone.

Guest TabbyBoy

I used to use eBay's chat function and often got issues resolved within a few minutes. eBay is now firmly on the side of buyers who know how to take the piss. This is why I closed my primary account and told them where to shove my 2000+ 100% feedback rating. Sellers will soon be taking their business elsewhere like I have and I don't miss eBay or those evil buyers one bit.

I used to use eBay's chat function and often got issues resolved within a few minutes. eBay is now firmly on the side of buyers who know how to take the piss. This is why I closed my primary account and told them where to shove my 2000+ 100% feedback rating. Sellers will soon be taking their business elsewhere like I have and I don't miss eBay or those evil buyers one bit.

This is exactly why I don't sell on ebay anymore. They are uncompromising and completely thick as sh*t. What happens when the sellers go elsewhere. The buyers are no longer interested in a has been site that sell returned 'refurbished" shop items, fake cr*p and cheap mobile phone accessories by the the millions. The arrogance of ebay and Amazon is unparalleled in online business. Someone is going to come up with a better alternative and adopt a much fairer system of use. I also won't buy anything from either company anymore and they won't get a penny from me either. Glad to see this feeling is growing momentum. Power to the people.

An update on this for those that care. The guy had already sent the return back using the label from ebay so I was on the hook for the return postage of $1.93 and a refund for the total amount. I got it back Saturday and issued the refund. I didn't want to take the chance in disputing the return and having the decision go against me even though I am confident I would have won. Not worth it for $10. I messaged the guy and he seem apologetic. He sent me a Paypal payment for the original shipping amount so it wasn't a total loss but my defect rate creeps closer to 2%. I opted out of hassle free returns and advise everyone to do so. It is total BS.  

By opting out of hassle free returns they just get directed to the open a case link which is the same difference as it counts against your defect rate also. They also give the buyer a return label which is billed to you too under the new user agreement. There is no way around it. Its the new way of ebay and it will not change. As they like to say its the cost of doing business

By opting out of hassle free returns they just get directed to the open a case link which is the same difference as it counts against your defect rate also. They also give the buyer a return label which is billed to you too under the new user agreement. There is no way around it. Its the new way of ebay and it will not change. As they like to say its the cost of doing business

Yep. Plus, you'll be opted right back into hassle free returns when it becomes mandatory (next year? I forgot the date, already in the program).

Can someone point me to finding which of my items is giving me a "Low detailed seller rating for item not as described" I have a 1.56% defect rating which is close to losing top rated.  But I can't even tell which items these are for.  A buyer is giving low stars for item as described, but not bad enough to warrant a open case and I can't find which item it is to try to dispute it. Any help appreciated thanks.

Can someone point me to finding which of my items is giving me a "Low detailed seller rating for item not as described" I have a 1.56% defect rating which is close to losing top rated.  But I can't even tell which items these are for.  A buyer is giving low stars for item as described, but not bad enough to warrant a open case and I can't find which item it is to try to dispute it. Any help appreciated thanks.

Don't know about US ebay, but on UK ebay you get to it via the seller dashboard, and then click into defects and/or 'download a report'

Edited by abri123