Are there any sets to really avoid

If you use the tools and data function and sort by theme/CAGR, you can see a few themes that have not posted solid growth rates. Granted, some of the sets in there are relatively new or still available (LOTR, for example) and can be had a nice discounts, but will (at least in my opinion) see solid growth rates in the future. Other sets (Prince of Persia, Atlantis and Pharoah's Quest, I'm looking at you) appeal to me personally but don't seem to be overly popular on the secondary market. I had the chance to pick up a few Pharoah's Quest sets at a discount before Christmas and passed on them - I sadly have to prioritize due to limited funds/space.

Now I'm not saying that Prince of Persia is going to become awesome in the future, but sometimes themes or sets that are flops originally can become valuable later. Avatar The Last Airbender sets are a good example of this. Nobody was interested in these when they were available and they took months to leave at heavy discounts. Now they would be a pretty nice thing to have a stash of. It's a different market, but now more than ever the key to making LEGO investing worth your time is trying to find stuff that everyone else won't have stockpiled.