10221 - UCS: Super Star Destroyer

Jeff Mack

SSD  

395 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed SSD's do you have

• 4-5
    • 6-10
    • more than 10
    • I'm Emazers and I built a replica SSD out of sealed SSDs.

It is weird as the previous date was in late November. It was moved a month forward.

I think Lego anticipates on the 2x VIP in October and planned one small European production run for the orders placed start of October.. cashing one more time big time and then it's done. Think it will be 'Sold Out' the end of 1th of October, then they know how much to produce and they can retire it. Last chance to acquire it.

So I already have 2 x 10221's. I didn't have the heart to open the new ones so I bought a 100% complete used one with box manuals and minifigs. After buying it I am having 2nd thoughts. Should I keep it or sell a new one instead to make up for the used purchase. Bought it for $520 shipped.

Perhaps you could build it, then sell it for what you paid (maybe you are out $50 after fees).  You could also trade it here for other sets.

I would NOT sell a new one to pay for this as you are losing a lot of long term earning potential.  Additionally, if you aren't sure about having the used one, you need to remove it as keeping it will just remind you that you weren't sure to begin with.

I've bought quite a few used sets over the last year.  You always want to investigate the set to make sure everything is there.  Which, of course, means building it to make sure that it looks right.

I look at the entertainment value of building a used set.  If I take my wife to the movies, and we get popcorn and a drink.  Maybe grab a bite to eat beforehand, I'm out $50-$75 to have a fun evening, right?

Now, think about building a Lego set.  You're probably going to get more than 4 hours worth of enjoyment out of it (building it, admiring it, etc).  Let's say you decide to turn around and sell it two months from now, because of this buyer's remorse.  You'll get your money back, without a problem.  Even if you go in the hole a little bit for fees, postage, whatever, you're still going to be ahead of the game, entertainment-wise.

How many people can say they built a 10221?  For $20-$40, you got to spend a lot of time building and enjoying a set.  You didn't have to crack open a new one (which will cost you a lot more).  If you need to sell it in a few weeks, you'll be fine.  If you can wait, you'll be even better.

I do not quite get your "remorse".

So you wanted to have it for your personal use (to build it and possibly display it) and you got yourself one used = as cheap as it probably gets.

Now you bought one and... bang remorse!

If you wanted it that badly I guess there has been a reason. There should be no remorse involved if you ask me.

Actually I thought that you bought one and got a totally dusty thing with missing pieces etc... but I cannot understand what you expect of us now.

Some form of absolution? If you really regret your decision there's little to be done. 250$ is not a bad deal though and probably you can resell it for more after you have build it and put it on display for a while.

(So again... I don't get it... remorse... why?)

I bought a pretty used looking box and I hope buyer won't mind when I resell it (it's unopend, only maximum used look... which is not cool).

Still it seemed to be a good deal to me and I figure that I will resell it for more.

A word of absolution from me:

Enjoy your SSD and be happy to have it. For thou shalt not feel remorse!

Edited by Locutus001

If you can... financially... build it, display it, enjoy it. In a couple of years you will even make some profit when you sell. So enjoyment for free.

I also see an advantage in building a set yourself which you also have as investment. Cause you will learn to appreciate it and you even are more secure about its potential investment wise.

So I already have 2 x 10221's. I didn't have the heart to open the new ones so I bought a 100% complete used one with box manuals and minifigs. After buying it I am having 2nd thoughts. Should I keep it or sell a new one instead to make up for the used purchase. Bought it for $520 shipped.

Good for you. I was going to buy it myself but decided against it since the bags weren't sealed. I don't build 10221 (just too big). Ha

Congrats.

I look at this way, you won't loose money, just make sure all the elements are there after it arrives.

Mine has arrived, but had to put it into witness protection, from both She Who Must Be Obeyed and the temptation to build.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Brickpicker mobile app

Better watch out for She Who Will Find Out Sooner Or Later And Will Be Very Crossed, the twin sister of She Who Must Be Obeyed :-|

Edited by Neosphinx
  • Like 1

Mine has arrived, but had to put it into witness protection, from both She Who Must Be Obeyed and the temptation to build.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Brickpicker mobile app

I picked up a used one and built it over the last 4 days - if you have the space for this and are a fan then you want to get a used one and build it, It is an awesome piece.

Guest TabbyBoy

Once my 3E and HH arrive, I'll see if I can backorder a couple more SSDs.  The worry with a long date is that they may make another production run.