10221 - UCS: Super Star Destroyer

Jeff Mack

SSD  

395 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed SSD's do you have

• 4-5
    • 6-10
    • more than 10
    • I'm Emazers and I built a replica SSD out of sealed SSDs.

I also have a feeling that once in the future they will remake 10179. First of all, the development costs are already made. Second, sales of a new 10179 will probably be huge and gives a lot of starwars fans a second chance in acquiring this set. Third, with a re-release they will cause a drop in re-sell prices in the secondary market, hurting those hated re-sellers. Overall, it will be an easy buck for Lego to remake this set.

For now, I think it is wise to buy the remaining SSD's here in Europe. With some of them still at a discount, it will probably be a very profitable buy. I ordered yesterday an extra one for 340 euro and will buy another one in the weekend.

I really doubt they will reproduce the 10179.  The will remake another Falcon, but not a 5000 piece one.  By today's standards, a 5000 piece Falcon would cost about $600.  I don't think LEGO will make the majority of fans and kids happy with a $600 set.  Actually, they will make resellers very happy with a $600 set.  Maybe the next Falcon will be in the 3000 piece/$300 range.  That is more in line with their current sets.  

As for the 10179 itself, there is only one.  It is an anniversary set with special literature inside(First Edition).  How can LEGO replicate that?  With all of the anal collectors out there like myself, people will still want the 10179.  It might not grow to $5000, but it will still hold its current value.  

I do advise people who have the chance to buy a SSD now to do so.  Time is up...

Other fans have told us about some websites where you might also be able to find older models:

www.brickset.com

www.bricklink.com

www.amazon.com

They mentioned the same sites to use when asked about Series 4 of the Planets line. I honestly think the Amazon reference is hilarious for so many reasons.

Did You Know?

Ole Kirk Kristiansen, the Founder, came up with the name

I'm hoping that the SSD will show up again on the TRU site, even if just to say it's OOS.  I bought one from a TRU that consistently charges more than the site ($100 more for the SSD) and was hoping I could bring it back to my TRU that generally sells things for the same price as the site and have them adjust the price.  The noob worker I'd never seen before wanted to do a price match instead of a return/rebuy but it wasn't on the site anymore so he couldn't do it.  Then he supposedly tried to scan the item but it still came up as $500, although I think he just scanned my original receipt where it was $500 from the other store.

They mentioned the same sites to use when asked about Series 4 of the Planets line. I honestly think the Amazon reference is hilarious for so many reasons.

Gee, I would have never known that not when you place this tidbit at the end of every friggin' email. :mda: I think even non-LEGO fans know this story.

Never knew the origin of Lego until now.

The good news for anyone who missed the boat on the SSD is that the new, "Chinese exclusive" version should be out soon, identical to the original in every way except it's made with congealed reactor sludge from Fukushima and stamped "Bela" rather than "Lego".  It'll be flooding eBay at $99.99 with free shipping from Beijing to anywhere in the US.  Seriously, check out today's exciting new Lego knockoff discoveries on eBay (including the entire Friends line!):

http://community.brickpicker.com/topic/2804-knockoff-brands-bootleg-bricks-mimicked-minifigures/page-24

Im pretty certain im finally going to purchase this set for myself this week, seen it in a few Lego stores in the UK. Its very expensive but I just know I will kick myself if I miss out on buying one once it finally disappears from sale. I don't think there is any Lego set the comes close to matching its size.

The good news for anyone who missed the boat on the SSD is that the new, "Chinese exclusive" version should be out soon, identical to the original in every way except it's made with congealed reactor sludge from Fukushima and stamped "Bela" rather than "Lego".

Is it just me, or do others realize too that "China" and "Fukushima" don't fit together?

Is it just me, or do others realize too that "China" and "Fukushima" don't fit together?

Sure they do.  China and Japan are geographically very close, and I'm sure Japan would be happy to send Chinese lego counterfeiting factories all the Fukushima reactor sludge they could use, free of charge and with free shipping to boot.  With China, we're talking about a country in which very recently it was a widespread practice to use powdered melamine, more or less analagous to plastic, as a replacement for protein powder in infant formula.  Personally, I think a glow-in-the-dark SSD made from congealed reactor sludge would be pretty cool.  You'd just need a lead-lined room to display it in, and you'd only be able to safely view it for a few seconds every day or so.

I don't think turning over the set makes it any smaller, right?

If you have one of those old-fashioned washing machines with the hand-cranked ringer attachment, it works wonders on the larger exclusive sets.  I've gotten an MISB (Mint in Smushed Box) SSD down to a thickness of less than two inches!

Yeah, I was thinking about that but you convinced me :) I'm gonna post it on feeBay tonight and hope it sells quick. Maybe sell for $10 less that going rate lol. If I can move it then I'll get the other.

Store it at work or something. Remember that Christmas is magical time of the year. Marketplace did not fully realize yet that it is forever gone

Yeah, I was thinking about that but you convinced me :) I'm gonna post it on feeBay tonight and hope it sells quick. Maybe sell for $10 less that going rate lol. If I can move it then I'll get the other.

That's exactly what I would have done, and have done. I'm small time, and have been buying flipping these things for a few months. It's made my three paid for.