10221 - UCS: Super Star Destroyer

Jeff Mack

SSD  

395 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed SSD's do you have

• 4-5
    • 6-10
    • more than 10
    • I'm Emazers and I built a replica SSD out of sealed SSDs.

Naf, i resent your wisecrack about a mental block. Just because i don't think like you.   I also never once said it was a bad investment.  I said it was out of my price range.  Who do you think you are?? !!  You insult me and you insult my fellow forum member. You should be given a warning and banned if your behavior continues.

Well you did first mention people thinking ssd will be sold for $650 in a couple of month are wrong, which implies the set is not as good as people think it is? Combining that with the fact that the set is already sold for that price gives the impression that you did not do your research just arbitrarily under value the set. THats fine everyone is entitled to their opinion. Then you said you want this set for investment that's typical for someone who missed the boat and try to convince themselves it is not as good.

• Like 1

Honestly, I was not keen on the SSD for a long time as well.  I've been lurking on this site for a couple of years now, so I've seen plenty of posts saying people should buy it.  The price tag was intimidating, and like a lot of people say, I thought it was just a big box of gray bricks.  It took seeing it in person, built, to change my mind.  That, plus the movie coming out next year really changed my mind on it.

neocacher, I was not trying to insult you, I was just busting your chops a little bit.  I apologize.

Honestly, I was not keen on the SSD for a long time as well.  I've been lurking on this site for a couple of years now, so I've seen plenty of posts saying people should buy it.  The price tag was intimidating, and like a lot of people say, I thought it was just a big box of gray bricks.  It took seeing it in person, built, to change my mind.  That, plus the movie coming out next year really changed my mind on it.

neocacher, I was not trying to insult you, I was just busting your chops a little bit.  I apologize.

Apology accepted. I appreciate it.

Well you did first mention people thinking ssd will be sold for $650 in a couple of month are wrong, which implies the set is not as good as people think it is? Combining that with the fact that the set is already sold for that price gives the impression that you did not do your research just arbitrarily under value the set. THats fine everyone is entitled to their opinion. Then you said you want this set for investment that's typical for someone who missed the boat and try to convince themselves it is not as good.

I never said that the set couldn't be sold for $650, as obviously it already has.  I said, I didn't think it would be flying off the shelves (ebay and amazon) as fast as some people may think at $650 -800.  I very well may be wrong about that, but it wouldn't be the first time i am wrong. LOL.  I stated that I wouldn't spend $650 or more on it, because of finances.  I also don't think that spending $650 - $800 on it now would be a good investment for me now (waiting for it to double to $1300 - $1600. Id rather spend the $650 on other near EOL's at or below retail.  If I happen to get an opportunity for an SSD @ $399 I would most likely buy one since I have none. I have already said that also.

I never said that the set couldn't be sold for $650, as obviously it already has. I said, I didn't think it would be flying off the shelves (ebay and amazon) as fast as some people may think at $650 -800. I very well may be wrong about that, but it wouldn't be the first time i am wrong. LOL. I stated that I wouldn't spend $650 or more on it, because of finances. I also don't think that spending $650 - $800 on it now would be a good investment for me now (waiting for it to double to $1300 - $1600. Id rather spend the $650 on other near EOL's at or below retail. If I happen to get an opportunity for an SSD @ $399 I would most likely buy one since I have none. I have already said that also.

I believe your opportunity will come young grasshopper
  • Like 1

I never said that the set couldn't be sold for $650, as obviously it already has.  I said, I didn't think it would be flying off the shelves (ebay and amazon) as fast as some people may think at $650 -800.  I very well may be wrong about that, but it wouldn't be the first time i am wrong. LOL.  I stated that I wouldn't spend $650 or more on it, because of finances.  I also don't think that spending $650 - $800 on it now would be a good investment for me now (waiting for it to double to $1300 - $1600. Id rather spend the $650 on other near EOL's at or below retail.  If I happen to get an opportunity for an SSD @ $399 I would most likely buy one since I have none. I have already said that also.

If there is strong enough perception that the price might reach beyond 1K, and no more production runs are done, SSD will fly off at 650-800 range, I think. Except that prices will move up past that range very fast, if, and it's a big if, ssd is done. The only reason it does not fly right now is because of the availability in Europe, and absence of "retired" tag. Plus, as was mentioned, there are plenty of people who got in at $300, so that creates technical resistance level at 650-700, given the uncertainty. People are happy to unload at 100%, fees be damned

As a Star Wars fan myself, I'll put it this way.  All the Executor (SSD) ever did in the original trilogy is show up at the end of Episode VI and blow up.

Well, that plus ALL of Episode V where Vader invades Hoth and chases the Falcon across the galaxy in the Executor.

But other than that, yeah all it does is blow up. :-D

• Like 2

Well, that plus ALL of Episode V where Vader invades Hoth and chases the Falcon across the galaxy in the Executor.

But other than that, yeah all it does is blow up. :-D

Plus the bounty hunter scene on the bridge of the Executor, which is why the set comes with the bounty hunter minifgs.

"No disintegration"

I also wonder a bit about the possible price interaction between the new minifigure-scale SD and the UCS SSD.  For example, you can now buy the SD for $130, which equates to roughly .10/pc, while the SSD is essentially selling for $650 inclusive of shipping, or about .20/pc.  Frankly, I think the SD (any SD model, really) displays better, since the ship is more 3D; the SSD reminds me of a long party platter.  As for whether it is (was) a good investment at $400, that's an interesting question.  If not for the new SD, the recent eBay sales history would speak for itself.  But I can certainly imagine the SD holding back the SSD while it's available at retail (ie the next two years, give or take a few months).

As a Star Wars fan myself, I'll put it this way.  All the Executor (SSD) ever did in the original trilogy is show up at the end of Episode VI and blow up.  SD's, on the other hand, were everywhere in Episodes IV-VI, starting from the initial minutes of Episode IV.  That ship, while ostensibly much, much smaller than the SSD (in "real life"), is also much more iconic.  It also looks much more interesting on display, because it has a viewable profile even from the side (not only from the top, like the SSD).  To the extent that I'm a collector, there's no question that I would buy five SD's over one SSD; then I'd have an entire fleet!

I can't believe someone who supposedly likes Lego actually makes these calculations. It's like a watch collector saying, this casio watch that's worth $10 shows the time so much nicer than Patek Philippe worth $20k because of the price ratio. Or ...you get much better time value out of your watch! What a logic!

Do we really think the person who buys the MF actually sits down and calculates the price per piece before spending his

• Like 1

I can't believe someone who supposedly likes Lego actually makes these calculations. It's like a watch collector saying, this casio watch that's worth $10 shows the time so much nicer than Patek Philippe worth $20k because of the price ratio. Or ...you get much better time value out of your watch! What a logic!

Do we really think the person who buys the MF actually sits down and calculates the price per piece before spending his

I have to agree with Hannibal.

Has anyone seen the famous videos of rich kids filling a swimming pool with really expensive champaign and spilling 50% of it? Without remorse? Just for fun?

I know many wealthy people do not even bother to check which SSD is cheaper. Or compete into bidding. They just buy the first they see! No matter what the price is.

Put the price on trillions then? :)

I also wonder a bit about the possible price interaction between the new minifigure-scale SD and the UCS SSD.  For example, you can now buy the SD for $130, which equates to roughly .10/pc, while the SSD is essentially selling for $650 inclusive of shipping, or about .20/pc.  Frankly, I think the SD (any SD model, really) displays better, since the ship is more 3D; the SSD reminds me of a long party platter.  As for whether it is (was) a good investment at $400, that's an interesting question.  If not for the new SD, the recent eBay sales history would speak for itself.  But I can certainly imagine the SD holding back the SSD while it's available at retail (ie the next two years, give or take a few months).

Yeah, just like how the 7965 has been holding back the 10179 for the last 2 years :negative:  

• Like 2

To be honest, I think it's cool (although I would have liked to see the space moving at the end :) ) but I also think there's a problem with the size of the ship. The point of view is too far, I had to go closer to my TV to see what was going on. The ship could have been 50% larger (unsued space around it), it would have been more easy to see what's moving on the screen.

Good job otherwise.

Ed, Thanks for the reply

Dumb question then:

No difference in what is included with the set. Get that. No cert etc. The why all the fuss recently within the forums on production codes?

Just guestimate EOL? How many production runs? If it doesn't matter when it was produced why all the hubbub?

One particularly interesting piece of information that codes provided - there is obviously no continuous or just-in-time manufacturing going on. Specific set is produced during 1-2 week span. Big sets appear to have multiple months between runs. We have no idea how useful that is to know, but who does not like more information in this era...

The SSD I just picked up at TRU has 50R1 on the seal.  I haven't read through the production number thread, does the R1 mean first production run?  If so, they must have found this one in the back of a warehouse or something.

The SSD I just picked up at TRU has 50R1 on the seal. I haven't read through the production number thread, does the R1 mean first production run? If so, they must have found this one in the back of a warehouse or something.

If we are correct about the meaning, then 50R1 would be the 50th week of 2011. So, in your case, this is from an older stock.