10221 - UCS: Super Star Destroyer

Jeff Mack

SSD  

395 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed SSD's do you have

• 4-5
    • 6-10
    • more than 10
    • I'm Emazers and I built a replica SSD out of sealed SSDs.

This makes sense... That is why I suggest everyone to diversify their investments. Do not put all your eggs in one basket.

I have three SSD's and that is enough. At least for me. If it goes up in value I am satisfied. If it doesn't, or less than expected I am not in too deep.

That's a good point. If $400 is an amount that takes up a large part of your investment portfolio, than the SSD is not for those investors.

The point is entirely elsewhere.... If i cannot display it since I have no room, its worthless to me.... (in box art its hardly much bigger than the ISD :P)

Its scale is the problem on its own, and then factoring in the price.... and you alienate atleast 50% of the marketplace instantly (and I am probably generous) 

SSD is for me just like those groupings where people show off their MOCs and works of art.... most of them look AMAZING to say the least.... but if anything would be given to me I have nowhere to put it and display it in its glory so why take it (let alone buy it)  

So tell me why would majority of people want to pay 700$ or even 1000$ one day if they cannot build it and display it :) A few might, just to keep it in box, but majority will say ''I got nowhere to put it so Ill pass''

Its still an awesome set dont get me wrong..... but its sheer scale is a problem on its own especially if you live in a flat..... 

Again, all due respect, but you're entirely off base here. You are not the target market for the SSD, nor is anyone else without the room for it. But as you say, "the point is entirely elsewhere" - the fact is there are quite a few people who DO have the space, and the cash. For the subset of that demographic who are AFOLs and/or SW IP fanatics, and there just isn't anything more impressive in terms of display than this very set. Those are the people who will pay ~$800 or whatever for these after EOL. Not you.

You simply can't argue with the current ebay sales at $600 and up (when it isn't even officially retired). Or, as has been alluded to above, the success of 10179. That set is just as bulky, and I agree with naf, even MORE difficult to display than 10221. MF is more iconic, sure, but it isn't as if the SSD is unheard of. So who are the people paying thousands for 10179? Same ones who will ultimately pony up for the SSD.

In short, I get it, it's not for you, and agreed, it isn't for a lot of other people in the same situation. But that makes it absolutely no less of a strong investment, because there is undeniable proof that such a market does indeed exist.

• Like 1

For those that think that SSD will fly off of ebay at $650 a pop in a couple of months, I think you are wrong. I am a new Lego collector( less than a month). So far I have not been able to get an SSD at retail, but I have managed to get 5 GE, 5 TB, and 5 VW. I have had opportunities to get an SSD for $499 at Target.com and passed on it.

I just think it is going to be a long while before lots of SSD's that are being snarfed up now will actually SELL for $650. I mean after all, who is going to buy them for that price. Certainly those that have bought a large inventory at $399 or less aren't going to. It will be the NEW collector/investor of the future. I can tell you this, if I didn't get one now, I certainly won't get one in the future (or may buy used ). It will be much easier to sell sets of GE for $250-$350 than it will to sell SSD for $650 to $850. A lot of new collectors will be able to afford $350 more than they will $650 - $800. Just my 2 cents worth. I would rather have 10 GE's than 4 SSD's which is the same $ investested (or close enough).

Lastly,Anyone willing to trade me an SSD for 2 GE's and $100 or visa versa?

Excuse me?

Check the eBay listings first prior to talking prices perhaps. It has been flying off for $650. Perhaps you're looking at a used one? The last used SSD I saw went for $590. I sold a new one last week for $660 on craigslist. The guy asked for a $10 discount and I said no and he still paid up.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

• Like 1

You seem to have the same mental block that neocacher has, it's a bad investment because you don't like it.  I actually think it's easier to display the SSD than the UCS Millennium Falcon, and the Falcon has no problems selling for a high price.

That is exactly what I am thinking... Where does this "oh my god, I'm not sure this set will become a winner, because it's price is too high/ takes too much space to display/ box art is crappy/ enter another strange reason here..." come from? I sadly cannot explain, but, looking into the past of other UCS and big sets, they all grew a lot after several years. Why shouldn't the new sets follow the same path (even according to the argumentation space/ price/ bla)? Many of the sets even start to grow in price even without being officially "EOL". I haven't got enough space to display and so the target group hasn't neither? Nonsens IMHO, argumentation based on nothing! The MF sells for lots of money and so do the other UCS/ modular sets already EOL. There is always a target group that has the possibilities to buy these sets (even when it is a christmas present for the beloved husband, e.***.).

And even more and more BP members come up with an argumentation against sets growing in worth because they didn't already double after 2 weeks... where has the patience gone, which is an essential requirement for selling sets after a couple of years (after EOL, AND (!) NOT days and weeks, even months after EOL!).

Just my 2 cents...

• Like 3

I'll just stick my gut feeling and say that people just don't want to pony up that amount of money. It's OK though just wait until you see what kind of returns this beast is gonna get.

It's always the people who missed out, then come out bashing a set trying to devalue something. It just doesn't work. The SSD is a set to invest in no matter how you cut it. Comparing a readily available haunted house to this is a joke. And comparing the little star destroyer to this one is like buying a Ferrari that goes on the streets to a hot wheels Ferrari.

• Like 1

Excuse me?

Check the eBay listings first prior to talking prices perhaps. It has been flying off for $650. Perhaps you're looking at a used one? The last used SSD I saw went for $590. I sold a new one last week for $660 on craigslist. The guy asked for a $10 discount and I said no and he still paid up.

I sold one on eBay for $650 late last week. It was listed for about an hour before it sold. 

• Like 1

Guys, I think your arguing is a bit pointless, in a sense that the outcome of the argument is not going to affect anything. People who believe in SSD would be happier if less of other people got them. People who don't want SSD don't have many options to get one at normal price, and for sure not going to get it at market price, since they did not bother at MSRP. If SSD shows up again, people who believe in SSD will just get more. People who don't - they'll just say "Aha! we told you!", and still not buy it. So, see  - nothing really would change.

• Like 4

As soon as the retired tag gets put on this, it's a $750 set. Around Chirstmas, I wouldn't be surprised (if it's retired) $850. After the new Star Wars movie, I think it's pushing $900

And those arguing against it will say, "people don't have room for this." :)

Those paying over $1000 for the Eiffel Tower and Taj Mahal don't seem to have any space issues. If I had $10 million in assets, I'd pay $100,000 and create a Star Wars room. I bet you there are many out there who are doing that. I met a guy over the weekend and sold him 8 family houses. Asked him why he wants so many, he said he's building the neighbourhood of Peter Parker and Aunt May. He also asked if I have 10 daily bugles so he can stack them into one gigantic 15 story building with front and back combined.

Guys, I think your arguing is a bit pointless, in a sense that the outcome of the argument is not going to affect anything. People who believe in SSD would be happier if less of other people got them. People who don't want SSD don't have many options to get one at normal price, and for sure not going to get it at market price, since they did not bother at MSRP. If SSD shows up again, people who believe in SSD will just get more. People who don't - they'll just say "Aha! we told you!", and still not buy it. So, see - nothing really would change.

logic and common sense are frowned upon and discouraged in these quarters .
  • Like 1

I think the most appealing feature of this set is how massive it is.  I'm not sure if The LEGO Group will ever produce a Star Wars set of this size ever again at this price point.

I'm not worried about collectors having enough money or space.  I'm only worried about seeing it officially retired.

Guys, I think your arguing is a bit pointless, in a sense that the outcome of the argument is not going to affect anything. People who believe in SSD would be happier if less of other people got them. People who don't want SSD don't have many options to get one at normal price, and for sure not going to get it at market price, since they did not bother at MSRP. If SSD shows up again, people who believe in SSD will just get more. People who don't - they'll just say "Aha! we told you!", and still not buy it. So, see  - nothing really would change.

But if we didn't argue over non-facts and pointless speculation, what else would we do in this thread? :biggrin:

I just wanted to comment that while it may be for some - I do not think space is an overriding concern for most.  One can have a very big house, and have it full of stuff with not much room to display more things.  Yet one can want to collect things.  Myself, I put myself close to Lord Business to the point that I want to own the pristine build by the book sets, and I want them so organized and pristine I never open the boxes.  In the beginning I started opening and building a lot of things, but I realized after I began filling up space all over the place with assembled Lego's that I did not have enough room.  Sure if I want to discontinue my other hobbies of collecting other things or having huge play areas for the family or other things, I could quickly make tons of room.  But for me, I am contented enough to know I have a pristine set stored away or displaying it in the box.  

This is not by any way me or anything even remotely close - but imagine someone living in Manhattan in a 5,000 square foot penthouse worth $50 million.  they have their walls full of fine art paintings they have paid priceless amounts for.  Does that mean that if they saw a Picasso at a great price (or not) they wouldn't buy it as they currently don't have display space?  I think not.  I think they would acquire it, store it in proper storage rooms or vaults and decide to trade it out on display and display it when they felt right.  It does not mean they have to upgrade to a 10,000 foot $100 million penthouse simply because they ran out of display room.

So in the same way, I have many other hobbies I am into, my family does, we love plenty of play space and I am contented to buy sets and store them, rotating them in the box out for display, or at the right time, like this past Christmas, deciding after staring at the R2-D2 pristine box for almost 2 years that the time was right to open and build it with my family. 

Yes for some space is a serious issue.  But I do not think that translates into a desirability level for most.

I think the most appealing feature of this set is how massive it is.  I'm not sure if The LEGO Group will ever produce a Star Wars set of this size ever again at this price point.

I'm not worried about collectors having enough money or space.  I'm only worried about seeing it officially retired.

I don't know, large sets are impressive and make the Lego brand look impressive.  I wonder if people were saying the same thing when the UCS MF went out, and then here comes the SSD.

Also if anyone claims they don't have room I would suggest you move out of your 300 Sq ft studio apartment.......the SSD isn't as huge as everyone is making it out to be.

I agree.  I could actually display it quite easily on my one shelf dedicated to Lego, but I'd have to take the 3 Lego pirate ships I have up there down.  I like the SSD but I like my ships a bit more.  Maybe someday...

The point I was trying to make is, I personally do not like to narrow my target audience (aka buyers) to a small group inside a ''small'' group of LEGO collectors.....

I am fully aware that SSD is not aimed for me.... but when I look through the eyes of a seller I always try to aim for ''investments'' (in this case LEGO sets) that have as least possible variables when it comes to potential sale....

For example:

for an ''average'' LEGO set (lets take Helm's Deep) to sell, following criteria in a buyer must be met:

- Must be a LEGO fan and collector/builder

- Must be a LOTR fan (or atleast Castle fan

- Must have enough cash

- Must want this particular set

- Must have enough room to store/display it (thats debatable)

(I shortened the requirements could go on for a while)

With each criteria met my buyer base goes smaller and smaller....

Now with SSD I make it even smaller, because the price points goes even further and the set size goes even larger..... 

Its all about selling logic here..... (i am not saying they will not be sold) but for me with a set like SSD and even DS (or MF if you want) you eventually put yourself in a position (as a seller) where a minority (a percent of LEGO collectors (if at all)) can make prices jump or fall easier due to each individual buyer having more affect on a price (passively) considering I assume you all want to sell them eventually.

Now the Crawler, some people yelled on this exact same forum(s) that Crawler will be a 1000$ set by the end of this year..... we are halfway(and more) there Crawler is not.....  

Now ''you'' say its because the other model is available.... but the other model is the other model..... the 20.000 version has a different market of LEGO enthuisiasts than the regular version (whatever is the number of the set) and yet it seems the market it was aimed upon, is stale or prefers the cheaper and ''worse'' version?

Now dont get me wrong I could buy SSD and I did not want to due to my entirely different investing strategy and I did not miss the boat, I can still buy 2x for 345

As they say, size matters.  Bigger is better.  Knocking this set because it is big is the silliest thing I've ever read on these forums.  There will be a huge hole to fill when it's gone.  If the 10188 and SSD retire soon, what will replace these sets in the short term?  Don't tell me the Slave I, it is half the size at $200.  There should always be a "Big Daddy" set.  I'm in mourning already.