10221 - UCS: Super Star Destroyer

Jeff Mack

SSD  

395 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed SSD's do you have

• 4-5
    • 6-10
    • more than 10
    • I'm Emazers and I built a replica SSD out of sealed SSDs.

Didn't you say the same thing when everyone was offloading their Crawlers to a certain schmo for $500 each?

It may end up looking stupid if TLG does not ship future batches of SSD to N. America, but if they do it will look genius.

Either way it is probably smarter to let someone else make the disparaging remarks rather than one of the site owners, especially when there is no confirmation whatsoever that TLG intends to hoard the new run of this set for Europe and Asia only (infact I would guess N. America gets the lion share of 10221s after August).

I can't really remember what I said about the 41999 Crawler besides it was a great set which should reach $700-$1000 in the future.  I didn't trust Mark(or Mark's employee) and his questionable behavior, so I probably recommended against selling sets to him.  I don't think I would I tell someone not to flip a 41999 for two and a half times MSRP to a normal buyer.  Doing that to a SSD would be quite a nice score and would have been a quality flip.

The "no brain" comment was blown out of proportion IMO.  It was not meant to offend, but it was meant to make people pay attention.  Basically, it was a bad joke.  I have often tried to give hints to people along the way if you read between the lines.  Sometimes I'm a little more blunt.  People send me information all the time and I have to sift through the trash for the treasure.  I think you will find I was right about the SSD, at least in the US.  My sources have had an excellent track record.

As for letting others doing the dirty work, that's not how I roll.  I try to be nice until it's time not to be nice.  I didn't mean to offend Stoltzj77, but I will mix it up if I have to.  I should be allowed to have an opinion.  Political correctness is overdone IMO.  If people think I'm an a**hole, so be it.  There is still good information here and it is a useful site to help people save and make money.  I might even be right on occasion.

• Like 5

If people think I'm an a**hole, so be it. There is still good information here and it is a useful site to help people save and make money. I might even be right on occasion.

God yes. If there is one thing I try to live by - not everyone is going to like me (actually a lot of people hate me). but I still have to live the way I see fit, learn when I need to, and trust myself to know when I am actually being an a**hole, or when I just happen to fit the mold of someone else's idea of an a**hole.

Well with all this talk about being an a-hole, I guess there is nothing left to do but sing the a-hole song.

• Like 2

God yes. If there is one thing I try to live by - not everyone is going to like me (actually a lot of people hate me). but I still have to live the way I see fit, learn when I need to, and trust myself to know when I am actually being an *******, or when I just happen to fit the mold of someone else's idea of an *******.

People hate you? Hmmm that's weird, im not sure anyone hates you here at least..

Of no significance I'm sure but I just scored 2 SSDs from LEGOLAND discovery gift shop in Chicagoland.  They got 4 in today (I had put my name in for them to call me if they got more).  They put one on hold for me and one was left on the shelf.  It is possible they have another one or two in back, might be worth a call if someone is a Chicago BPer.

• Like 1

:offtopic:  Time to lock the thread.  Its now way off topic. Feelings are being hurt, haters are hating, brains aren't being used, dirty words like a**hole are being flung, stupid is as stupid does (thanks Forrest) and cats are walking upright.  Need I say more?.

Funny statement from the king of topic derailers. I noticed you went back and added the rest of that after the initial posting of your reply.
  • Like 2

IMHO you guys should already be charging for access to historical pricing data (and it would be nice if the members-only forum was also tied to a subscription). Some folks may share even more information if it is a smaller audience with a barrier to entry.  I would be willing to pay $5/m or $50/yr for premium features.  You would need to prioritize price guide updates, but with folks paying for it, that should become a priority anyways.  Perhaps a poll of the current members to find out 1) if there is demand for a subscription model 2) what features they would expect for a paid model, and 3) what they would be willing to pay.  By waiting to do what seems to be the inevitable, you're basically leaving money on the table.  You have 30k members?  Monetize! As you have clearly stated and we all agree, there are massive benefits to the information on this site.  It is valuable.  Just my $.02

Believe me, Jeff and I discuss this every weekend.  It's not like we have an aversion to money, but before we take it to that level, there are site features that needed to be completed and/or tweaked.  Jeff has had two issues the past two weeks that set him back, both out of his control.  eBay's data has not been complete to finish the price guide updates and we had servers issues a week ago that shut down the site.  We pay big money for both, yet they were failures out of our control that delay other site features being worked on because Jeff has to deal with restoring basic site functions.

Jeff has been working on a complete overhaul of the site away from Wordpress, which has not been a stable or efficient platform.  He is creating his own which will make the site faster and easier to navigate.  The Brick Classifieds are about ready to go to Beta and the Brickfolio is getting a major update.  The blogs/editor will be tweaked and the new Daily Deals feature will be coming soon.  There is also a feature called Brick Watcher coming and various other improvements.  We have stated this before, but it is worth repeating...when we are ready to launch a premium service, new eBay data can be included as well, such as shipping and auction data. 

We want to offer the premium service when there is enough quality tools and data to make it worthwhile.  While we could charge now, the site is supporting itself so why rock the boat and get many members upset?  The premium features will be a major upgrade over current features, so we will feel more confident in selling the premium feature.  We try to be fair to all members.  When there are some premium features added, we can keep a basic "free" setup for some members and people who pay a fee will get more extensive data, tools, discounts on Brick Classifieds, special forums, etc...It's a work in progress.  Thanks for your input...

• Like 3