Thoughts on Bricklink MOC Shop?

So today the Bricklink MOC Shop got released, appearently which also goes by the name of Bricklink 2.0? Since they refer to the Bricklink we know as Bricklink 1.0.

Anyway, we are able to part in bricks and sell them as sets (designs) provided by a other users (designers). Over the past month or two this MOC Shop has been in Beta and people could request some of the designs for sale... this number is very low.

I have been checking around and setting up a store myself and what i found out is that we can't exceed a profit margin of 100%.

For example one of the most requested set (design) is: Container w/ sticker space (Light Bluish Gray. (http://moc.bricklink.com/pages/moc/mocitem.page?idmocitem=68)

The MOC Shop estimates the price of the Bricks at

I am wary of venturing down this path as a seller because I am not sure that there is really much of a market for these MOCs. I think it might work for the bigger BL stores that might have the majority of parts for one or more of the MOCs already in stock, but ordering a bunch of parts in order to complete the inventory would not be cost-efficient in my opinion. I guess time will tell.

While I'm usually enthusiastic about new stuff, I have my own doubts about the profitability of the MOC shop. I'd be glad to be proved wrong and will be keeping an eye on it.

However, what it will do quite handily is test out the site structure that BL intends to roll out for the main parts site in future - i.e, BL 2.0.

I don't think it was dumb at all to introduce and thoroughly field-test the new infrastructure on something like the MOC shop, which will be lighter in traffic and have lower expectations as to functionality, etc., while they work all the bugs out for the "real" site down the road.

However, what it will do quite handily is test out the site structure that BL intends to roll out for the main parts site in future - i.e, BL 2.0.

I don't think it was dumb at all to introduce and thoroughly field-test the new infrastructure on something like the MOC shop, which will be lighter in traffic and have lower expectations as to functionality, etc., while they work all the bugs out for the "real" site down the road.

Good points.  I hope that this is at least some of the intention of the MOC Shop and that it is not a new focus of the site.  I have been a bit worried that they have been concentrating on this part of new site (and a full Chinese language version) rather than updating what is already functional.  Maybe I have it backwards and they have been doing it this way for the reasons that you mention. 

• 3 weeks later...
Guest brickcrazyhouse

looking for anyone who has tried this bl feature, either buying or selling.  so far haven't seen anything I'ld buy, but willing if there was something i wanted.