Very hard to not open boxes...

ok... I'm still new at this and yesterday I received my first order from the Lego store. My plan is to just put the boxes on the attic and forget about them for the next 5 years. No rush for me. it started out being an investment but after receiving my first 3 boxes I now know that I have to buy more just to put some of them together. The boxes look much better than when you get them at a store were they are scratched a bit and get dropped by kids.

My first items are:

Mini Cooper

Ghostbusters

Back to the future

I personally LOVE the look and feel of the Ghostbusters box and can't wait to get more to put one together. My kids went crazy about them One of them can't wait to get the Back to the Future car and is watching the movies at this moment on Netflix. He is 9 years old. My other son (8) really wants the Ghostbusters set and they keep asking me the whole day if they can open them but they do understand the concept of investing and why the price will go up.

Mini Cooper is nice but it does not make my heart go faster like the other two. :)

Next month I am buying the VW camper and some more items that look interesting. I am waiting to get my VIP membership. Did not really work yet and I e-mailed them about it. I really want to get my hands on the tumbler so if I get it on time that will be the first thing I will buy. I hope to get about 5 of them in the future. And yes I will absolutely put it together once I have more off them! :) I also keep an eye out for items on sale in stores here and online for items already retired. I found some retired Star Wars items so I might also buy some of them. Have to be careful not to go over my budget every month. ;)

One thing I am also thinking of doing is collecting the super heroes mini figures. I just love them!!! My sons have different versions of iron man, they have spiderman, superman and more and they look great! :) And StarWars minifigures will join them.

Not very helpfull info on what to invest in or about new products but just wanted to share my enthusiasm as a new investor and I think new collector. :)

My only advice would be, try and buy sets that are closer to EOL than newer sets, 2 out of the 3 you bought are not more than 2 months old. Even if you are in no hurry to sell them and your plan is to wait 5 years to sell them, it is better that they are retired for the most part of those 5 years....... some suggestions would be, Grand Emporium, Sopwith Camel and T1 Camper... there are some others, but I do not want to steal from you the fun of reading the archives of the forum.... Good Luck !

Don't show your sets to your children if it's only for investing. :)

And don't bother with the Ecto-1 you got: build the one you have NOW with your son, you will still be able to have tons of it whenever you want at toys'r us, and in the worst case, resell it as used.

• Like 1

Welcome Gino!

I've just got into the whole buying/long term investing thing as well, and I can relate to your enthusiasm in just "starting out". I've bought quite a few sets over the past month or so and put them in the attic (dark and dry!). Looking forward to seeing some long term returns on them, eventually.

I do have 2 of the BTTF deLorean and 1 of the Ghostbusters ECTO-1. I've built one of each and have a deLorean for the attic, both great fun, especially the ECTO-1.

But...reading your post, it sounds like your kids would really love to build and play with them both. In your shoes (and assuming this can be done financially) I think I would let them build them; is it really worth the few bucks they will potentially make in a few years time, measured against the fun, enjoyment and interaction that you could get with your kids right NOW? Buy another one of each; stick them in the attic (the kits, not the kids! ;-)  ).

I am sure the fun you will have enjoying your kids building the kits, watching the movies and interacting with them, will outdo any profit they will make over time.

Many members here may disagree, which is fair. But as others have said, Lego was built in the first place for playing with...I'd be tempted to just play!

My 2 cents anyway...

Gareth

• Like 1

I already told my boys they will get one the next month I order new ones. They deserve it and it gives me a change to see the real product. :)

Thanks for all the advise. Funny thing is that I like the searching for products just as much as buying them. There are several stores here that have expired sets. I found the 9472 set from Lord of the Rings and it is expired. But the box was damaged so I did not buy it. I go to stores now if I'm in town and then use my smartphone to check for some products I think might be expired. It surprised me how many I could find just in Local toy stores. It's the bigger sets mostly since they don't sell that much I think.

I know this feeling, just received the first 2 SSD and HH.....especially the HH is very difficult NOT to build haha.

Just built HH. It is a fantastic gorgeous piece of Lego. That one is difficult not to open. I ordered 6 of them at good price, 5 for investment and 1 to build... because I just HAD to.

bp_1409696144__10228_display.jpg

• Like 2